Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario definitely has a process, it’s just a very ****tty one.
It can only be justified by making homerun hires. Unfortunately last year he made one terrible hire and one "eh" hire at the coordinator positions, so a lot of us are skeptical just one year later.

Advertisement
I have convinced myself Brian Johnson is the guy and the only reason it hasn't been announced is because Johnson doesn't want any distractions right now. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
This actually makes sense if MC met with Mullens maybe the context was a reference for Johnson and not Mullens as OC. Also explains the severe delay. Negotiations with Candle shouldn't take more than 2 days.....

Yea. The way this thing is seemingly playing out, is odd..... Was Mario planning on keeping Gattis? I know that @Cribby and the other insiders, said that he was out... way back when (like Oct-Nov.), but if that was the case, then why didn't he start his hunt for a replacement back then as opposed to a couple weeks ago? Was it just for appearances? He could have back channeled this whole thing, ended up in the same place and would have had his guy in place as soon as Gattis was pulling outta Hecht.
Tbh he probably started the search then. He only took 2 months last year to hire an OC so it stands to reason he doubles that this time. Steele leaving probably had him discombobulated.

Advertisement
Look, I know you are a good guy, much better than these mopey porsters who keep scaring the natives with chants of "Arroyo"...

But a couple of things.

First, regardless of knowing Gattis was out the door, the process of restarting talks with Candle has been a 2-week courtship, not a 2-month. And, yes, we can debate the wisdom of pursuing "the girl who got away" so ardently one year later, but he is clearly Mario's first choice and has not yet said no. I think the "forever" last year was real, and people are commingling the "forever" of firing Gattis with a misleading "forever" on the hiring side.

Second, I agree, if we don't get a resolution on Candle quickly (again, setting aside anyone's feelings on whether Candle should or should not be the top choice), then we need to pivot to one of the other names under consideration.

Third, I do not look at the Steele situation as indicative of "Mario". The demanding style that Mario employs is comparable to what Saban employs. So it's not like Stele left to take a job with softy Manny up at Ped State. Steele just has a long-standing relationship with Saban, compared to two years with Mario (one as a co-worker at Alabama, one as a DC at Miami).

Let's try analyzing this in a slightly different way. Guys that Mario has wanted to hire within the last 360 to 400 days have been mostly good (Gattis was a disaster of Biblical proportions, and Addae needs to move on as soon as possible): Georgia has hired away one of our coaches, Alabama has hired away two or three of our coaches, and several of Mario's targets have gotten raises and/or promotions from their employers in order to stay.

But I do agree with the process taking longer than the processes of others. And, yes, it has not resulted in ON-FIELD success yet. But guys like Steele and Strong (and to a lesser extent T-Rob and C-Mac) are coaches who are of a quality that is greater than what Miami has had over the past 20 years. Honestly, since mid-Coker-era, how many of our coordinators or position coaches were hired away by programs better than ours?

I'm in agreement with you at the 60-70 percent level. I'm not happy with the pace, but I don't think my feelings will change Mario's personality. I do think that Mario identifies good coaches, and he may not land them all (even King Saban seems to have encountered some struggles in that area this off-season). I'm willing to judge Mario on how well he responds to his Year 1 setbacks.
While I agree with a lot of this my issue with the Candle situation is that after going through this with him last year this shouldn’t be a 2 week courtship. It should be a 2 hour courtship but at most 2 days then a couple of days for HR and lawyers to get everything finalized.

Instead were 10 days after job opening up and he’s still not hired because either Candle or Mario still have requests that haven’t been addressed or he’s considering the ND job. That’s unacceptable. I get the 2 week courtship with a candidate that hasn’t gone through Mario’s “Secret Service” hiring process but this is BS.

Gilmore Girls Wink GIF - Gilmore Girls Wink Side Eye GIFs
yes please!

I "heard" Briles was 100% legit but him/ his agent ruined it by leaking it early.
I heard it was somewhat legit but that his preference was to stay and get a raise, hence the leak. I guess it counts, I just didn’t hear of anything besides Candle, Coen or Briles…there had to be more.

My concern is that Mario is a bit of star ***** in more ways than one. You can hire good coaches that most of the general public have never heard of and not have to deal with all the convincing and cajoling to get them to Miami. Mario can't go after an OC who isn't a current HC? All he'd have to do is consult @Memnon lists and these hires wouldn't take nearly as long.

Yep. Remember when Gundy went to Yale to get his OC? And it’s not like he was an unknown that only an offensive guru like Gundy would find. State of the U a year or two earlier wrote an article listing him as an OC Richt should hire.

Cristobal just isn’t going to make that kind of hire.

The Candidate pool is also limited by what Mario wants to run. People are pointing to how fast Saban moved. But it’s easier to move quickly when you’re willing to offer the job to a guy that throws it all over the field, and then a few days later to a guy that admitted he didn’t even know about RPO stuff until he became an OC, and was figuring out how to do it on the job in real time.

But for Mario, if a WR can’t reach out and shake the offensive tackle’s hand, he’s not interested in it. But there aren’t a lot of guys running that.
Which is why he keeps coming back to such a sh*t candidate like Candle. Candle is a name, and runs that offense. So by the process of elimination, he’s going to be at the top of the board every time.

Mario is basically shopping for a black and white television in the age of 4K, and demanding the brand be top of line at the same time.

Advertisement
Anyone else wonder why the Athletic Director is not coming out and providing updates or general commentary as to the coaching situations/hires? Every 4-year and 2-year institution I've worked at the AD was directly involved in the search and NEVER sat quietly when media/fanbases were ready to storm the castle. I understand discretion, but keeping everyone in the dark makes zero sense for a program which always seems to be reshaping its image. Instead, nothing is said in terms of direction by leadership and the media/fanbase continues to criticize. I would think criticism on any level is what this program would have attempted to avoid. As many have pointed out, it's two steps forward in recruiting and three to four steps back with the management of the program.

Well it’s official. My expectations for this season were already low, but now I have none at all. This could go any which way. I’ve given up forecasting this goat rodeo lol.

Anyone else wonder why the Athletic Director is not coming out and providing updates or general commentary as to the coaching situations/hires? Every 4-year and 2-year institution I've worked at the AD was directly involved in the search and NEVER sat quietly when media/fanbases were ready to storm the castle. I understand discretion, but keeping everyone in the dark makes zero sense for a program which always seems to be reshaping its image. Instead, nothing is said in terms of direction by leadership and the media/fanbase continues to criticize. I would think criticism on any level is what this program would have attempted to avoid. As many have pointed out, it's two steps forward in recruiting and three to four steps back with the management of the program.
This is mario’s show bro lol

Advertisement
It just doesn’t make sense though. Rad didn’t just forget how to run a program. Mario is micromanaging and trying to be so finite with every meticulous detail…he just needs to clamp down and make the hires. Deadlines don’t matter in the grand scheme of things since it’s a results-oriented business…but quite frankly, it would be embarrassing to not have someone hired in the next week for OC. Now we also have to worry about DC and most likely LB coach.

At this rate, ND will hire Candle and Mario will circle back to others deep into February. Candle needs to be given the ultimatum; and this isn’t some “we’re Miami, we’re the ones that should be strong-arming” elitist comment…but for many programs, you don’t rest your laurels on one dude and negotiate for weeks while others are left in the wind. You give a reasonable date and if **** goes south, move on already. It’s borderline desperate.

Advertisement
While I agree with a lot of this my issue with the Candle situation is that after going through this with him last year this shouldn’t be a 2 week courtship. It should be a 2 hour courtship but at most 2 days then a couple of days for HR and lawyers to get everything finalized.

Instead were 10 days after job opening up and he’s still not hired because either Candle or Mario still have requests that haven’t been addressed or he’s considering the ND job. That’s unacceptable. I get the 2 week courtship with a candidate that hasn’t gone through Mario’s “Secret Service” hiring process but this is BS.
Maybe Candle isn't really the guy which based on the postings on here the last few days should make people happy.

Not sure I have ever seen a AD give running updates on job searches. He very likely is part of the small circle who are involved but why would you expect him to hold press conferences or give statements regarding an ongoing search? Now once they hire someone sure but why would they let anyone know who they are considering, etc..

Why does this team make it so tough to be a fan of? All the pieces seem to be in place to be successful, but somehow find a way to face plant into the ground
Because we hire friends and family every ******* time. Then the friends and family of those hires circle the wagons and try and stamp out dissent and try to convince everyone to accept mediocrity.

Yep. Remember when Gundy went to Yale to get his OC? And it’s not like he was an unknown that only an offensive guru like Gundy would find. State of the U a year or two earlier wrote an article listing him as an OC Richt should hire.

Cristobal just isn’t going to make that kind of hire.

The Candidate pool is also limited by what Mario wants to run. People are pointing to how fast Saban moved. But it’s easier to move quickly when you’re willing to offer the job to a guy that throws it all over the field, and then a few days later to a guy that admitted he didn’t even know about RPO stuff until he became an OC, and was figuring out how to do it on the job in real time.

But for Mario, if a WR can’t reach out and shake the offensive tackle’s hand, he’s not interested in it. But there aren’t a lot of guys running that.
Which is why he keeps coming back to such a sh*t candidate like Candle. Candle is a name, and runs that offense. So by the process of elimination, he’s going to be at the top of the board every time.

Mario is basically shopping for a black and white television in the age of 4K, and demanding the brand be top of line at the same time.

"Mario is basically shopping for a black and white television in the age of 4K, and demanding the brand be top of line at the same time."
Interesting way to put it in words 👍🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back