Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Point taken, but there are folks out there where $1.8MM is a significant upgrade, particularly given Florida's absence of a state tax. I mean, Candle is allegedly at $1.1. A $700,000 jump is more than 50%. I can't find recent salary on Ruggiero (even assuming he's a candidate) but he made $740K in 2020. $1.8MM is a big jump from $700K.
Money certainly can’t be an issue. At this point, I have no explanation for WTH is going on.

OK I’m sick of this Candle **** already! He has been offered two years in a row seemingly. If he wants to be a HC then fkn stay! Move on already if he’s pulling the same **** as he reportedly pulled last year.
How do we know he’s “pulling the same sh..” from last year? Has Mario reached out to him?

Honest question. Saban just hired a coordinator yesterday. That’s a month away from spring practices. Does that make him incompetent as well?
cmon man.. Golding left 3 weeks ago and Saban has already replaced him. How long has Mario known he needs a new OC? Last game was in November. If there was any thought on keeping gatless, that's an even worse indication about Mario than him taking this long to hire a replacement. So yeah, he's known since November at the latest. Has Saban ever taken months to hire a replacement no one else is after?

Advertisement
Agree on Bama, UGA, and OSU. I don't know about Clemson.

I'd focus on being competent in every game of the season before looking up at those programs though.

I’m not saying this year, but year 1 of Mario didn’t advance a ton

And based upon the level of investment and the cost basis of staff, expectations are a lot higher than being competent

I've never seen a coach get more "hate" from national media than Mario Cristobal, well other than Dabo.

I mean he is by all accounts a good dude. He tries to do right by people. He hasn't been intertwined in any major controversy.

Yet he gets killed for offensive philosophy, QB killer, now hires.

The dude did a good job at FIU, and then again at Oregon. He is in year 1 at a place where we haven't had success in nearly 20 years.

His offenses were good enough at Oregon to win 9, 12, and 10 games in a 4 year period. He won 2 Titles, and played for 3 conference titles.

He won a Rose Bowl.

His QB that he supposedly killed his career, was drafted #6 overall. How many QB's has Kirby Smart has drafted in round 1? Billy Napier? Josh Heupel? Jim Harbaugh? Norvell? Kiffin?
You're forgetting the elephant in the room. Mario was basically loved by the national media for the most part......... until he said those magic words, "I am going home to coach at my alma mater. The University of Miami". Since then, all bets were off.

Are they hot?
Gilmore Girls Wink GIF - Gilmore Girls Wink Side Eye GIFs

Advertisement
maybe Mario does have a process but it does make the program look bad..Mario needs to look in the mirror you are not Saban..he should’ve fired Gattis back in November to give him the time to replace the offensive staff now we are a month from Spring ball and who knows how many coaches we will be looking to replace on both sides of the ball

I know we've all become impatient and the delay has been completely ridiculous. But in reality, there's no way this drags out further than this week. The new guy, whoever he is, has to get settled in CG, give the kids time to see the play book, hire any other coaches/analysts, etc. Time is running short and no way Mario isn't aware of it.

As for DC, everyone should just resign themselves that it will be Charlie Strong unless he goes to Bama with Steele. No idea if that will be a good DC hire or bad but that's very likely what we're left with at this point.
“No way this drags out further than this week”

Mario:

challenge accepted training GIF

Maybe this will force Mario to make use of waking up at 3:30 AM, quickly hire a DC and realize the world won't implode on him if he does in a timely manner.

Advertisement
maybe Mario does have a process but it does make the program look bad..Mario needs to look in the mirror you are not Saban..he should’ve fired Gattis back in November to give him the time to replace the offensive staff now we are a month from Spring ball and who knows how many coaches we will be looking to replace on both sides of the ball
he did fire him back then privately. gattis wasnt around. the delay in announcing the new hire is inexcusable bc the staff firing was done a while ago. you should have the new hire lined up if you chose to fire the OC (clemson announced riley a few hours or so after they fired streeter)

All this dragged out melodrama, indecision and paralysis all for Jason Candle? Just unreal. For all the trouble Mario has gone
It's probably time to move on to the next guy. From the looks of it, Jason is trying to burn the Candle (pun intended) at both ends (Us and ND). Now it's time for Mario to put on his Poker face.

Advertisement
I agree that this was clearly a targeted article. But in terms of on field performance Mario is looking more and more like Frost by the day.

can't argue that but if he keeps recruiting like this year, the talent acquisition has a way of cancelling out other deficiencies. But for the most part Mario seems a high character guy so some of the stuff going on with Frost that may have impacted on field performance will not be the reason why Mario doesn't succeed.

Somewhat OT but did we ever figure out besides Candle, who the legitimate OC candidates were last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back