Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bama really wanted Pruitt. I think Steele's tenure is a one-year rental. My guess is they'll probably add Pruitt as an analyst until he gets fully cleared.
mos definitely see it going down like that. I could see Saban wanting Steele and Strong to mentor Austin Armstrong as well. I hope Mario can keep Strong in Miami.

Advertisement
My way to solve this:
- Steele goes to Bama
- Strong follows Steele to Bama
- You relieve Addae of his duties
- Move DVD to CB
- Hire Aazaar Abdul-Rahim from BC to coach safeties
- Hire Geoff Collins to be DC/LB
- Move Rod Wright off field until he finds a spot
- Hire Chris Rumph from Vikings to coach DE (worked with Collins at UF)
- you’d need another LB staffer but Collins coaches LBs also

Advertisement
My way to solve this:
- Steele goes to Bama
- Strong follows Steele to Bama
- You relieve Addae of his duties
- Move DVD to CB
- Hire Aazaar Abdul-Rahim from BC to coach safeties
- Hire Geoff Collins to be DC/LB
- Move Rod Wright off field until he finds a spot
- Hire Chris Rumph from Vikings to coach DE (worked with Collins at UF)
- you’d need another LB staffer but Collins coaches LBs also
At Mario's pace you would need a full year to do all those changes.

I have convinced myself Brian Johnson is the guy and the only reason it hasn't been announced is because Johnson doesn't want any distractions right now. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Iit is possible multiple posters with credibility have stated that Mullin and Cristo at least spoke. Could have been about Johnson..

I've never seen a coach get more "hate" from national media than Mario Cristobal, well other than Dabo.

I mean he is by all accounts a good dude. He tries to do right by people. He hasn't been intertwined in any major controversy.

Yet he gets killed for offensive philosophy, QB killer, now hires.

The dude did a good job at FIU, and then again at Oregon. He is in year 1 at a place where we haven't had success in nearly 20 years.

His offenses were good enough at Oregon to win 9, 12, and 10 games in a 4 year period. He won 2 Titles, and played for 3 conference titles.

He won a Rose Bowl.

His QB that he supposedly killed his career, was drafted #6 overall. How many QB's has Kirby Smart has drafted in round 1? Billy Napier? Josh Heupel? Jim Harbaugh? Norvell? Kiffin?

Advertisement
I've never seen a coach get more "hate" from national media than Mario Cristobal, well other than Dabo.

I mean he is by all accounts a good dude. He tries to do right by people. He hasn't been intertwined in any major controversy.

The dude did a good job at FIU, and then again at Oregon. He is in year 1 at a place where we haven't had success in nearly 20 years.

His offenses were good enough at Oregon to win 9, 12, and 10 games in a 4 year period. He won 2 Titles, and played for 3 conference titles.

He won a Rose Bowl.

His QB that he supposedly killed his career, was drafted #6 overall. How many QB's has Kirby Smart has drafted in round 1? Billy Napier? Josh Heupel? Jim Harbaugh? Norvell? Kiffin?
Most of those media people get info from agents. and Coaching Agents 100% hate his process. Guys interview and then get put in purgatory till Mario makes up his mind.

I have convinced myself Brian Johnson is the guy and the only reason it hasn't been announced is because Johnson doesn't want any distractions right now. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
I will take every bad thing I said about Mario the last few days if this is true, but c’mon brother!!!!

The odds of that happening are 1 in 1 million. nah is the QB coach on my favorite NFL team and that guy is on a list ascending to NFL OC and higher. Not descending to OC at UM.

Operate on what is likely. Not the unlikely.

Advertisement
Mario hasn’t done anything to not warrant massive criticism. I still support Mario but there’s not anything he’s done to show he won’t be the next Scott Frost.

The rumors surrounding Frost was that he was showing up late for meetings, getting drunk, and banging the co-eds. Yeah, there was also the operational dysfunction and ultimately w-l record stuff, but I thought the comparison was at least a bit of a stretch and at worse a hit piece to make him and Miami look bad.

Yeah, but it's time to be honest. People keep throwing out "2 million" as if it is some magic talisman. The reality is that many of the top "resources" schools are paying that, or are capable of paying that, or would absolutely pay that if they had to outbid a rival.

BE HONEST. The money that Miami is offering for coordinators is not providing a major competitive advantage. If the rest of the market was paying between 1 million and 2 million, and Miami offered 3 million, maybe we'd be turning some more heads.

But if we are paying 1.8 million and others are paying 1.6 million...I get it, for most of the posters on this board, an extra 200K would get their attention. But for these particular roles, that's not some huge differential that gives Miami "first pick of the litter" positioning.
Point taken, but there are folks out there where $1.8MM is a significant upgrade, particularly given Florida's absence of a state tax. I mean, Candle is allegedly at $1.1. A $700,000 jump is more than 50%. I can't find recent salary on Ruggiero (even assuming he's a candidate) but he made $740K in 2020. $1.8MM is a big jump from $700K.

He won a Rose Bowl.

Realistically the majority started when he came back here.

Advertisement

He won a Rose Bowl.

nah people loved mario coming here and his time at oregon. he wasnt getting hate. he gets hate for his O and its fair. the narrative with herbert was that the O they ran did not really display his true potential (he also didnt recruit herbert but was handed herbert). his QB recruits stunk and his offenses even w herbert were worse than what lanning had this year w bo nix and dillingham as his OC. mario has a well known rep as a stuck in the mud O mind with his philosophy before coming here. his post game comments didnt calm any of it either

Mario won’t be able to out-talent Bama Georgia Ohio St Clemson when they have a 5-10yr head start

Only chance we have to catch up quickly is offensive innovation

I’m not betting on this happening tho
Agree on Bama, UGA, and OSU. I don't know about Clemson.

I'd focus on being competent in every game of the season before looking up at those programs though.

The rumors surrounding Frost was that he was showing up late for meetings, getting drunk, and banging the co-eds. Yeah, there was also the operational dysfunction and ultimately w-l record stuff, but I thought the comparison was at least a bit of a stretch and at worse a hit piece to make him and Miami look bad.
I agree that this was clearly a targeted article. But in terms of on field performance Mario is looking more and more like Frost by the day.

I will take every bad thing I said about Mario the last few days if this is true, but c’mon brother!!!!

The odds of that happening are 1 in 1 million. nah is the QB coach on my favorite NFL team and that guy is on a list ascending to NFL OC and higher. Not descending to OC at UM.

Operate on what is likely. Not the unlikely.
I'm joking, brother. I'm not saying it's going to happen; just that it would make sense in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back