Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Mario's next staff meeting...

Lonely Where Are You GIF by Travis
2023 GIF of the Year watch list.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Tad is a force of nature to reckon with.

O/U on x.0 OC Candidates thread reaches?

Maybe we stick at 2.0, but don't be surprised if we hit 4.0.

I know we've all become impatient and the delay has been completely ridiculous. But in reality, there's no way this drags out further than this week. The new guy, whoever he is, has to get settled in CG, give the kids time to see the play book, hire any other coaches/analysts, etc. Time is running short and no way Mario isn't aware of it.

As for DC, everyone should just resign themselves that it will be Charlie Strong unless he goes to Bama with Steele. No idea if that will be a good DC hire or bad but that's very likely what we're left with at this point.

Advertisement
It took Saban, what, 1 day to pivot from the Washington OC guy to Tommy Reese and here we have Mario, still waiting on an answer or taking forever to make a hire and now his supposed #1 is flirting with ND.

Then, Saban got Mario’s DC & whether that was planned or not, the optics look really bad and as a Mario guy/supporter, I am starting to lose faith in how he runs and is paralyzing this program to levels I thought were reserved for the the Manny Diaz or Al Golden’s of the world.

Look, I know you are a good guy, much better than these mopey porsters who keep scaring the natives with chants of "Arroyo"...

But a couple of things.

First, regardless of knowing Gattis was out the door, the process of restarting talks with Candle has been a 2-week courtship, not a 2-month. And, yes, we can debate the wisdom of pursuing "the girl who got away" so ardently one year later, but he is clearly Mario's first choice and has not yet said no. I think the "forever" last year was real, and people are commingling the "forever" of firing Gattis with a misleading "forever" on the hiring side.

Second, I agree, if we don't get a resolution on Candle quickly (again, setting aside anyone's feelings on whether Candle should or should not be the top choice), then we need to pivot to one of the other names under consideration.

Third, I do not look at the Steele situation as indicative of "Mario". The demanding style that Mario employs is comparable to what Saban employs. So it's not like Stele left to take a job with softy Manny up at Ped State. Steele just has a long-standing relationship with Saban, compared to two years with Mario (one as a co-worker at Alabama, one as a DC at Miami).

Let's try analyzing this in a slightly different way. Guys that Mario has wanted to hire within the last 360 to 400 days have been mostly good (Gattis was a disaster of Biblical proportions, and Addae needs to move on as soon as possible): Georgia has hired away one of our coaches, Alabama has hired away two or three of our coaches, and several of Mario's targets have gotten raises and/or promotions from their employers in order to stay.

But I do agree with the process taking longer than the processes of others. And, yes, it has not resulted in ON-FIELD success yet. But guys like Steele and Strong (and to a lesser extent T-Rob and C-Mac) are coaches who are of a quality that is greater than what Miami has had over the past 20 years. Honestly, since mid-Coker-era, how many of our coordinators or position coaches were hired away by programs better than ours?

I'm in agreement with you at the 60-70 percent level. I'm not happy with the pace, but I don't think my feelings will change Mario's personality. I do think that Mario identifies good coaches, and he may not land them all (even King Saban seems to have encountered some struggles in that area this off-season). I'm willing to judge Mario on how well he responds to his Year 1 setbacks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah man, I stopped capping for Mario with this bull****. It’s all inexcusable. Him, Alonzo, Dan, etc, etc, that they hold out for this long of a process to come up with Candle as the best candidate. That guy is Mediocre at best and I will not try to defend it especially with how this process has played out again.

I gave Mario a pass last year and I said (not that he or anyone else would give a **** what I said, lol) that he used up all of the excuses and all of the tickets last year and here we are, at the start of year 2 with the same bull**** show of insecurity, indecision, smartest guy in the room syndrome or whatever you want to call it and I won’t defend it any longer.

Even if the hire is a good one, this process is *** backwards.
I’m not worried about Mario taking his time or how he goes about the hiring process as long as he makes the right hire. My only concern is the latter part.

Look, I know you are a good guy, much better than these mopey porsters who keep scaring the natives with chants of "Arroyo"...

But a couple of things.

First, regardless of knowing Gattis was out the door, the process of restarting talks with Candle has been a 2-week courtship, not a 2-month. And, yes, we can debate the wisdom of pursuing "the girl who got away" so ardently one year later, but he is clearly Mario's first choice and has not yet said no. I think the "forever" last year was real, and people are commingling the "forever" of firing Gattis to a misleading "forever" on the hiring side.

Second, I agree, if we don't get a resolution on Candle quickly (again, setting aside anyone's feelings on whether Candle should or should not be the top choice), then we need to pivot to one of the other names under consideration.

Third, I do not look at the Steele situation as indicative of "Mario". The demanding style that Mario employs is comparable to what Saban employs. So it's not like Stele left to take a job with softy Manny up at Ped State. Steele just has a long-standing relationship with Saban, compared to two years with Mario (one as a co-worker at Alabama, one as a DC at Miami).

Let's try analyzing this in a slightly different way. Guys that Mario has wanted to hire within the last 360 to 400 days have been mostly good (Gattis was a disaster of Biblical proportions, and Addae needs to move on as soon as possible): Georgia has hired away one of our coaches, Alabama has hired away two or three of our coaches, and several of Mario's targets have gotten raises and/or promotions from their employers in order to stay.

But I do agree with the process taking longer than the processes of others. And, yes, it has not resulted in ON-FIELD success yet. But guys like Steele and Strong (and to a lesser extent T-Rob and C-Mac) are coaches who are of a quality that is greater than what Miami has had over the past 20 years. Honestly, since mid-Coker-era, how many of our coordinators or position coaches were hired away by programs better than ours?

I'm in agreement with you at the 60-70 percent level. I'm not happy with the pace, but I don't think my feelings will change Mario's personality. I do think that Mario identifies good coaches, and he may not land them all (even King Saban seems to have encountered some struggles in that area this off-season). I'm willing to judge Mario on how well he responds to his Year 1 setbacks.
Mario needs to wake tf up....It's getting beyond ridiculous. For 8 million a yr, his hiring techniques are absolute Garbage...

Advertisement
Advertisement

But a couple of things.

First, regardless of knowing Gattis was out the door, the process of restarting talks with Candle has been a 2-week courtship, not a 2-month. And, yes, we can debate the wisdom of pursuing "the girl who got away" so ardently one year later, but he is clearly Mario's first choice and has not yet said no. I think the "forever" last year was real, and people are commingling the "forever" of firing Gattis with a misleading "forever" on the hiring side.

Thanks, TOC. I respect the heck out of you as well.

You just mentioned Addae. With all of this, I had forgotten about him. I remember what Cribby and others like you have said about how he wasn’t recruiting, other issues. So he needs to still be replaced but hasn’t been? Mario going to do these one at a time?

Understood, Mario doesn’t operate on anyone’s timeline but when you get bad results after administratively looking bad and sloppy, fair or not, he deserves the heat.

Agreed. Dan needs to set some boundaries. I understand the Gattis situation, but now it's time to buckle down and close.

7a4s7l.jpg
Nice time to decide that. We're ONE month from Spring Practice without an Offensive and Defensive Coordinator....what kinda sh*t is that??...There is absolutely NO excuse for this type of Garbage. For 8 million a yr, I'd expect ALOT better. And F what Ruiz has to say. I'm about getting Sick & tired of his *** anyway.

Nice time to decide that. We're ONE month from Spring Practice without an Offensive and Defensive Coordinator....what kinda sh*t is that??...There is absolutely NO excuse for this type of Garbage. For 8 million a yr, I'd expect ALOT better. And F what Ruiz has to say. I'm about getting Sick & tired of his *** anyway.
Forget your meds this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back