Tennessee fans saying byrd is a vol .

Status
Not open for further replies.
New one

Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph and safeties coach Ephraim Banda stopped by to reinforce how strongly they feel about working with Byrd in the future.

"They came by school during my lunch period and we met then," Byrd said. "I had core classes I needed to go to so I didn't want to miss that. They just wanted to say they need someone like me at the 'U' and how much they like me. It was good to review a lot of things we had talked about before."

Many expected that Miami would push for Byrd (6-0, 194) to cancel his last trip. He explained that not only did it not happen but the Volunteers weren't even mentioned very much.

"They didn't actually say much about my visit to Tennessee," Byrd said. "I think they might be worried about me going up there but I have no idea for sure. They told me it would be a nice place but I should be part of changing Miami."

Byrd has never visited a school outside his home state so Knoxville will undoubtedly provide a different experience. He went over why he's spending the weekend on campus and what he's looking to get out of it.

"I'm going to see what the school is about, what's their message, if it's a nice place, and what education programs they offer," Byrd said. "I'm interested in the basic stuff but I also want to find out stuff beyond the basics. They didn't want to tell me about it so I could build my own perception."

What could be Tennessee's best shot at changing Byrd's mind? He has an idea but it probably won't solidify until the trip has concluded.

"I haven't really thought about that, it's just going to be about how I feel," Byrd said. "How comfortable I am around the coaches and players will probably be the biggest point of emphasis."

All in all, Byrd is in a position of getting more than he bargained for. He was a solid pledge for almost the entire way so now that it's in any doubt, the decision is weighing heavy on him.

"It started late so it's gotten very difficult and stressful," Byrd said. "I knew it would go like that but it's just a lot right now. My whole family is helping out, my parents and my other parents (Carlin Fils-Aime's). Their advice was to pick somewhere that feels right in my heart. Wherever I go, they're going to support me."

Byrd holds offers from Boston College, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ole Miss, USC, and USF in addition to the two aforementioned programs.

Byrd's senior season included 38 tackles, 3 for loss, an interception, and 5 pass breakups. He added 36 catches for 641 yards and 9 touchdowns as a wide receiver.

Byrd is a four star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite, ranking him 86th overall in the nation, 10th at his position, and 15th overall in the state of Florida.

sounds really good for us imo.

Advertisement
Byrd picked up a lot of notoriety since his all star game. It's not really surprising that he's entertaining some of the attention he's getting now.

In my completely baseless opinion supported by following his recruitment I think he sticks to Miami.

Advertisement
If Fils-Aime wasn't committed to Tennessee, I don't think there would be a chance in **** he chooses Tenn over us.
So if he actually sits down and chooses the best school for him I think he definitely picks us. The question really is how much does Fils-Aime sway him to go to Tenn. Ultimately I think he sticks it out with us. Maybe if we had just offered Fils-Aime there wouldn't even be a question where these two are going.

If Fils-Aime wasn't committed to Tennessee, I don't think there would be a chance in **** he chooses Tenn over us.
So if he actually sits down and chooses the best school for him I think he definitely picks us. The question really is how much does Fils-Aime sway him to go to Tenn. Ultimately I think he sticks it out with us. Maybe if we had just offered Fils-Aime there wouldn't even be a question where these two are going.

It sure would've been nice to get carlin. The only thing that scares me is somehow butch is selling Tennessee very well. There's not many recruiting battles butch didn't stand his ground with. I hope richt holds out.

tennessee-junior-and-lulu.jpg

Chris Nee just posted a new article about Byrd. Anyone care to summarize?

The Latest With Tyler Byrd

Miami coach Mark Richt has done a nice job of keeping the majority of the 2016 commits intact since taking the job in December.

(Photo: Isaiah Hole, 247Sports)
One key commit that Miami will be monitoring over the final weekend before National Signing Day is cornerback Tyler Byrd.

Byrd is giving Tennessee a look because his teammate, running back Carlin Fils-Aime, is committed there and the two have a close relationship.

The relationship between Fils-Aime and Byrd is closer than a friendship. The two are like brothers. They have lived together for the last few years and are extremely close.

Early in the recruiting process, Fils-Aime hoped he could join Byrd at Miami, but the Hurricanes never showed significant interest. Tennessee, now, is doing their best of selling the opportunity of the two friends continuing their playing career together in Knoxville.

With that being said, Byrd is very high on Miami. He has a great respect for the program, impressed by the academics that UM can offer, and a big factor weighing in Miami’s favor is that the school is a two hour drive away from home. Byrd wants his family to be able to come to his games.

Beyond that, Miami has a legitimate big need for Byrd and that has been illustrated by the manner that Mark Richt has recruited him. Once the NCAA dead period ended, Byrd was the first recruit that Richt visited. Richt believes that Byrd is the most important commit that the Hurricanes need to keep in the class.

Miami returns starting cornerback Corn Elder, a rising senior, this season and beyond that they have four cornerbacks returning that will fight for the remaining playing time. The Hurricanes need a true freshman to come in and compete for immediate playing time and Byrd was identified as that player in the 2016 class.

The path to early playing time at Tennessee won't be as smooth as the Volunteers are returning their top three cornerbacks. Tennessee is also adding early enrollees Marquill Osborne and JUCO transfer D.J. Henderson this semester. Tennessee is also considered the favorite to land top 50 prospect Nigel Warrior on National Signing Day. With that being said, Byrd would be in line to compete for playing time in his second season at UT.

While Tennessee does have a lot of momentum and excitement with Byrd right now, Miami is hopeful that once his visit to Knoxville is over he will take a step back and not get caught up in that hype. Miami presents an opportunity to be a three or four year starter and Byrd understands that. The Hurricanes also present an option that allows his family and friends to come to all of his home games.

Byrd is expecting Miami cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph and safeties coach Ephraim Banda to visit today and UM will look to sell themselves before he makes his trip to Tennessee.

Yeah I'm even more confident now then ever. Let Byrd visit and have fun he won't flip

Advertisement
It sure would've been nice to get carlin. The only thing that scares me is somehow butch is selling Tennessee very well. There's not many recruiting battles butch didn't stand his ground with. I hope richt holds out.

lol @ this Canes fan. I couldn't tell you more than two recruiting battles Butch Jones has had to save my life. But you, as a Canes fan, are aware of so many that you're able to come to the conclusion that he "holds his ground" in them. "GO CANES"!

I played my freshman year of baseball at UT despite being a die hard canes fan. I've lived my life 2 hours away from Knoxville. I hated it so much I transferred after the fall semester.

I had way more fun at a small private D2 school in a smaller more rural town 45 minutes from my house. Absolutely despise everything about UT

I played my freshman year of baseball at UT despite being a die hard canes fan. I've lived my life 2 hours away from Knoxville. I hated it so much I transferred after the fall semester.

I had way more fun at a small private D2 school in a smaller more rural town 45 minutes from my house. Absolutely despise everything about UT
Their campus is in a horrible spot. Hills upon hills. Makes walking across campus to class a workout every time...

Advertisement
His parents and his "other parents," eh? Kid is super close to Fils-Aime.

We're the better choice, and I think he sticks, but a lot hinges on this visit, IMO.

It's like the Brad kaaya cycle from 2 years ago when delusional Boise state fans who came in real late for his cycle thought they would flip Brad on his final official visit and Brad went and told them I'm committed to Miami, just enjoying my free trip

Except Tennesee is in the SEC and has been getting better each year under Butch Jones after years of sucking horribly; whereas Boise State is Mountain West and no matter how good they are, Boise State hasn't really had a QB drafted in the NFL draft.

Apples to Potatoes dude... Tenn has a better chance of flipping Byrd than Boise State ever had that Kaaya would go there (including if they were his first D1 offer in his sophomore year). Still, I don't think Byrd goes, too much promise of being able to shine with this staff.

Just my opinion.

Found another tenn fan here

Tenn fan that says Kaaya stay? I don't know too many Vols fans, but that sounds retarded.

But I get it... I don't have as many posts as you, I must be an *anything other than Miami* fan. This forum is just sad sometimes. Love my Canes, but **** bro...

Advertisement
The only problem for me is that he isn't a troll so this is legit interest on his part.

I agree, Carlin being committed there seems dangerous. Can pitch living together in college, both their parents being able to come see them play in Tennessee. I am a little worried but, if he weighs both schools and what would be best for him without involving his brother being at Tennessee he will be a Cane. Immediate playing time, possible starting job, so close both sets of your parents would be able to drive to your games.. Well will see but, in the end I hope he sees he belongs in Miami.

The only problem for me is that he isn't a troll so this is legit interest on his part.

Sure it's real, but that doesn't mean he will choose them. Its an exciting time in this kid's life, and regardless of the mud being slung around here Tenn is a major program that does in fact have a lot to offer. Still after the visit is gonna be over he will have to think it over and most kids end up staying home. Like you said, the kid isn't a troll, and in the end think we win out.

Their campus is in a horrible spot. Hills upon hills. Makes walking across campus to class a workout every time...

The hills weren't too bad.. They had shuttles and stuff. Knoxville is just a **** hole when it comes to the fact that where the baseball field is, across the river is straight ghetto. Not your Miami ghetto.. Like meth head ghetto. The entire place was under construction, campus, city, everything.

I hated the people there. The parties were exactly what you would imagine. They sit there and say VFL! VFL! Any time you go out on town in Tennessee gear, cops are all over you even if you aren't doing anything (hence the reason Tennessee has so many arrested) hill billy fans come talk to you and they won't leave you alone. Like I'm a baseball player and they'll literally come up to me and go through every player on every roster, mainly on the football team and ask me about them. There's like 40000 people at the school and they expect you to be able to tell you about the whole football team and think I know stuff about Tennessee football recruiting and it was just retarded. It was the worst 3 months of my life no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back