Spring Game

Not sure what the bigger problem is - the maddening lack of urgency to acquire an actual big man (Bam is a *****, sorry. He’s a great player but He’s not a true 5 and gets swallowed alive out there), the regression of every single bench player, or Tyler’s inconsistencies.

Have heard the Luka noise but I don’t think it happens quite yet. I’d give up a slew of guys in a heartbeat for him though.
the issue w Luka is there isnt any noise bout him coming to us. just him maybe not being happy in dallas. we dont have assets to get a Luka tho and the team is cap ****ed for the next 3 years at least (duncan has 3 more years on his deal and is worthless, Tylers extension hasnt even kicked in yet nad he should never have been extended a year before his RFA year, lowry can be moved as hes expiring, dipo is gonna opt into the 10 mill or so hes owed, and we still have Jimmy (who is worht it) and Bam earning big money).

the team has 1 top 20 player a bunch of guys. Bam is a good 3 or 4 on a title team (he was our 3 when we made the bubble finals run behind Goran and Jimmy).

the biggest issue this offseason is that they cant really sign anyone unless they just attach picks to move off money. its basically running it back and resigning strus and gabe (barf).

if you lose tonight, you get the 14th pick. if you win, you get the 20th pick and get swept by the bucks. please lose this ******* game

Advertisement
the issue w Luka is there isnt any noise bout him coming to us. just him maybe not being happy in dallas. we dont have assets to get a Luka tho and the team is cap ****ed for the next 3 years at least (duncan has 3 more years on his deal and is worthless, Tylers extension hasnt even kicked in yet nad he should never have been extended a year before his RFA year, lowry can be moved as hes expiring, dipo is gonna opt into the 10 mill or so hes owed, and we still have Jimmy (who is worht it) and Bam earning big money).

the team has 1 top 20 player a bunch of guys. Bam is a good 3 or 4 on a title team (he was our 3 when we made the bubble finals run behind Goran and Jimmy).
I did like how bam developed as a scorer, but he turned into his old self against the hawks. Timid as heck. Can’t believe we didn’t trade Duncan when we had the chance - his defensive capabilities were exposed in the bubble, and the following year. What we could have gotten for him…sheesh.
And Strus should be a bench guy and not be playing 25 min.

The Luka noise isn’t loud now, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make a run. Europeans love Miami. Bill Simmons can be a clown at times but he made some good points about his attraction there back in January.

I’d hate to say Riley is washed, but it was maddening to just watch the team this year and do nothing about it during the deadline…maybe he just gave up.

I did like how bam developed as a scorer, but he turned into his old self against the hawks. Timid as heck. Can’t believe we didn’t trade Duncan when we had the chance - his defensive capabilities were exposed in the bubble, and the following year. Strus should be a bench guy and not be playing 25 min.

The Luka noise isn’t loud now, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make a run. Europeans love Miami. Bill Simmons can be a clown at times but he made some good points about his attraction there back in January.

I’d hate to say Riley is washed, but it was maddening to just watch the team this year and do nothing about it during the deadline…maybe he just gave up.
he was awful the second half of the year (post ASB).

duncan shouldve been moved the deadline before his extension or allowed to walk. he isnt special and he isnt even a special shooter like steph or klay. hes wholly reliant on dissolving your entire offense and running **** for him to score.

the issue with riley is weve made horrible cap decisions since allowing wade to walk. we got extremely lucky jimmy decided he wanted to be in a heat uniform. before we could get out of bad contracts (hassan, dion, etc.) but the game changed on him and no one cares about tradeable deals if the player sucks. picks are the currency and we dont have many. we should have moved strus, gabe at the deadline for second round picks. it would have depleted our depth but worth it in the end.

riley is also stuck trying to contend now w jimmy and w bam and tyler. tbh, neither bam and tyler get you closer than building with jimmy does. neither are superstars and tyler has hit his ceiling. jimmy is your guy who can carry you but you need him next to a generational scorer to really contend. do w.e. it takes to get dame here and let jimmy win or just move jimmy to a contender out of good will and rebuild. id still move tyler in that scenario too and possibly think of moving bam. OKC has 1000000000000 picks and a better core than we do. Cleveland completely rebuitl after Lebron left twice and have a team that will be better than miami for the next 5 years. the knicks are in a better spot than we are W PICKS

Maybe Don should sit this one out...

Embarrassed The Office GIF by Justin

Advertisement
he was awful the second half of the year (post ASB).

duncan shouldve been moved the deadline before his extension or allowed to walk. he isnt special and he isnt even a special shooter like steph or klay. hes wholly reliant on dissolving your entire offense and running **** for him to score.

the issue with riley is weve made horrible cap decisions since allowing wade to walk. we got extremely lucky jimmy decided he wanted to be in a heat uniform. before we could get out of bad contracts (hassan, dion, etc.) but the game changed on him and no one cares about tradeable deals if the player sucks. picks are the currency and we dont have many. we should have moved strus, gabe at the deadline for second round picks. it would have depleted our depth but worth it in the end.

riley is also stuck trying to contend now w jimmy and w bam and tyler. tbh, neither bam and tyler get you closer than building with jimmy does. neither are superstars and tyler has hit his ceiling. jimmy is your guy who can carry you but you need him next to a generational scorer to really contend. do w.e. it takes to get dame here and let jimmy win or just move jimmy to a contender out of good will and rebuild. id still move tyler in that scenario too and possibly think of moving bam. OKC has 1000000000000 picks and a better core than we do. Cleveland completely rebuitl after Lebron left twice and have a team that will be better than miami for the next 5 years. the knicks are in a better spot than we are W PICKS
OKC is going to be NICE. 2 first and 3 2nds this year, 4 firsts in 2024 and 2025…they can trade for a stud quite easily. Shai and Giddey are so fun to watch, and Dort is a phenomenal defender that despite his volatility on offense, can help out in a variety of ways. Loved the Williams pick out of Santa Clara, and they have Chet coming back.

Spring games are, literally, the most-watched content on league networks, outside of live games.

And the spring games viewership even surpasses most of the live games besides football/basketball/baseball-softball.

Do you have any evidence to support that?

Television networks obviously aren't always in the black as they're likely contractually obligated to show so many volleyball, soccer, etc games. If there was more money to be made though, they'd do it differently.

You're talking about a network that routinely shows women's soccer games.

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. It's different than the guys, but they still play a nice game. I've caught some of the games leading up to the title game, decent entertainment.

I really can't stand the format of most of our Spring games. Just play a **** game and more would likely tune in. They've gotten as bad or worse than the high school AA games.

Television networks obviously aren't always in the black as they're likely contractually obligated to show so many volleyball, soccer, etc games. If there was more money to be made though, they'd do it differently.
He said literally.

Advertisement
You're talking about a network that routinely shows women's soccer games.
As a passionate soccer fan, its the most boring and worst physical exercise of watching sports possible.

Friend of mine in Lauderdale just sent this to me

“Best way to get into the stadium is from Cypress Creek turn at the Wendy’s and it’ll take you right into parking area. Down commercial is the worst way.”

This is the ****-y move that you tend to pull. "Do you have any evidence to support that?"

Not for you, I don't. I didn't think ahead enought to reduce my conversations to writing, just to respond to some snotty "do you have evidence to support that" challenge. The funny thing is, you have no idea of my past experience and the friends I have in the sports broadcasting industry. And I also don't make stuff up just to say random things.

The spring games are incredibly well-viewed. But because they only happen once a year, for a couple of hours, no network can sell a whole advertising package for "spring game coverage". But they are certainly not the "loss leader" that you make them out to be.

It's just ridiculous that you and some other porsters think that every business takes every action perfectly-and-without-fail in a way that generates the most money possible. There are all kinds of business factors involved, including the braindead obsession to put content on streaming for a period of time before broadcasting it (check out the number of shows on AMC and FX that are "streaming-only" initially).

You want to believe that the spring games are not televised live because nobody watches them? Hilarious.

Advertisement
He said literally.

Because it's literally true. I have numerous friends/former co-workers who work for a couple of the conference networks based in the southeastern US. You can learn a lot from talking with people; this **** isn't complicated, but I understand the attack-all-insider-information crew is going to demand non-existent receipts.

I don't really care. Keep believing that nobody watches the spring games.

Hopefully they actually televise the game - last season weren’t there complaints regarding interviews taking away from actual plays? Won’t be able to attend this year, and I get that it was Mario’s first year so there was a lot to discuss with alumni, coaches, etc.

Will be focusing on a few things…o-line first and foremost. This is the unit that can take us from 6 to 8 wins. I know the starting D-line is decimated with injuries, so I am wholeheartedly expecting the first string big uglies up front to have their way with the defense. On the flip, Excited to see Moten compete and back up the praise he’s received thus far in the Spring

Chaney - needs to show me some burst, especially behind this line. Rooting hard for him, tbh I had given up on expecting anything productive. Time to prove me and a slew of others wrong; he can seize that starting role.

Offense should be very vanilla, but I want to see the TEs utilized properly and WRs not giving up on routes. Happened way too often last year.

Defense is again decimated, but most importantly…TACKLING. Wrap the f^ck up, don’t care if you’re a first stringer or a walk on.

Let’s get out of here healthy. Hoping for some guys to separate from the pack. Let’s see who’s a gamer…

Last edited:
Advertisement
Because it's literally true. I have numerous friends/former co-workers who work for a couple of the conference networks based in the southeastern US. You can learn a lot from talking with people; this **** isn't complicated, but I understand the attack-all-insider-information crew is going to demand non-existent receipts.

I don't really care. Keep believing that nobody watches the spring games.
people watch them. a lot will watch after the fact but they still get watcjed. locally, the heat will dominate the tv viewwership tonight. i woyld have moved the game to tom night and blame weather lol

people watch them. a lot will watch after the fact but they still get watcjed. locally, the heat will dominate the tv viewwership tonight. i woyld have moved the game to tom night and blame weather lol

I don't disagree with you on the Heat game. There was a post earlier that BY NCAA RULES (which set a certain number of days from the beginning of practice until the end), the Spring Game MUST happen today, or not at all.

The tough part is that the Heat playoff schedule was set much more recently, but will draw more viewership. Completely understand that. I'm just pointing out that the CONFERENCE needs to do a better job of scheduling these games. All of them, not just UM's.

Also, it would have been easier to reschedule the UM spring game to not conflict with the Heat IF THE GAME WAS ON THE WEEKEND. But there is no flexibility with a Friday night slot.

That's all. It's not some big shocker that "all-football-content" has become more and more popular. Nobody would have aired a spring game 20 years ago, now everyone wants to see what is happening. Things change, and it would be helpful to not be stuck in some dead-end argument about how it's just IMPOSSIBLE to find broadcast slots for the spring games.

Advertisement
Back