Spring 2017 Track Thread for Miami Recruits

That's a decent time...but in no way is 49.5 a national elite time...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It would be best to research it and find out like I did that 49.50 is the national elite standard for 400m in high school. Do not be one of the modern day people that is a legend in their own mind--We had enough of those crackpots come out in the last election on both sides. A few clicks of the computer key and it is there.

Standards

Now let's not get offended just because I don't agree with you "elite" standard. Your link says "Standard." Nothing about national elite standards. You use elite like it's going out of style. Everything that's good to you is elite. I'm not saying a 49.5 is slow, but it is not elite. Let's not try to be the expert about something you probably have no real first hand knowledge or experience in. I did run the 400 in high school, high 49's low 50's. Those times didn't get me, or any one else any where near the podium. A 49.5 in majority of track meets or state meets with good competition won't even get you in the top 5, or 5th maybe.

elite are the guys running 47's and below in my opinion. But it's just that...my opinion. A standard is just that, the standard. To be elite you don't achieve the standard, you go way above that. Here's what elite looks like...and it's no where near the standard.

High School - Men's 400 Meters Rankings

I have some knowledge after retiring as a HS track coach for 18 years and the last 12 at a JUCO. It seem,s you appear to be offended with the remarks. The "Mile Split Standards" are more or less accepted as the "accepted standard" for HS times as they have literally posted the results for decades and have a solid base of such figures for events as a benchmark.. JUCO and Collegiate times fall under a different standards.

For high school players I saw where Harley had a 21.88--200m into a relative strong head win just recently equivalent to just over 21.4 when adjusted for no wind.

This 400 thing shows he has endurance in a long sprint and is not a huge factor in explosion or short sprint speed. How many times in there a false start at 400m as compared to 60m or 100m?

Often as a track coach ballers of many sports (football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc} wanting to develop "anaerobic" endurance would choose to run the 400m as a means of developing that.

I wonder what Harley could do if he totally dedicated himself to 400m. Maybe not even national class but certainly better that the 49 something he ran. Look at Tyrese Cooped is best 100m is a excellent but not national level time of 10.5. He excels in the longer sprints with 400m being his best. Harley needs the short "separation" bursts in football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
These are the physically underdeveloped kids Butch David destroyed people with. Abdullah the Butcher is freakishly fast for a potential LB. I don't need my LBs to all be 240 pounds unless they can really run at 240. Miami wasn't built on 240 pound HS LBs.

I'd love to see how Abdullah's short area quickness numbers compare. I don't know a ton about him as a player, but Rick and Diaz are always preaching about speed and old school UM football. Abdullah clearly has unconscionable speed for a LB. Is he quick? Does he have good football instincts? Is he violent in his approach? These are all big factors too.

It would be best to research it and find out like I did that 49.50 is the national elite standard for 400m in high school. Do not be one of the modern day people that is a legend in their own mind--We had enough of those crackpots come out in the last election on both sides. A few clicks of the computer key and it is there.

Standards

Now let's not get offended just because I don't agree with you "elite" standard. Your link says "Standard." Nothing about national elite standards. You use elite like it's going out of style. Everything that's good to you is elite. I'm not saying a 49.5 is slow, but it is not elite. Let's not try to be the expert about something you probably have no real first hand knowledge or experience in. I did run the 400 in high school, high 49's low 50's. Those times didn't get me, or any one else any where near the podium. A 49.5 in majority of track meets or state meets with good competition won't even get you in the top 5, or 5th maybe.

elite are the guys running 47's and below in my opinion. But it's just that...my opinion. A standard is just that, the standard. To be elite you don't achieve the standard, you go way above that. Here's what elite looks like...and it's no where near the standard.

I have some knowledge after retiring as a HS track coach for 18 years and the last 12 at a JUCO. It seem,s you appear to be offended with the remarks. The "Mile Split Standards" are more or less accepted as the "accepted standard" for HS times as they have literally posted the results for decades and have a solid base of such figures for events as a benchmark.. JUCO and Collegiate times fall under a different standards.

For high school players I saw where Harley had a 21.88--200m into a relative strong head win just recently equivalent to just over 21.4 when adjusted for no wind.

This 400 thing shows he has endurance in a long sprint and is not a huge factor in explosion or short sprint speed. How many times in there a false start at 400m as compared to 60m or 100m?

Often as a track coach ballers of many sports (football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc} wanting to develop "anaerobic" endurance would choose to run the 400m as a means of developing that.

I wonder what Harley could do if he totally dedicated himself to 400m. Maybe not even national class but certainly better that the 49 something he ran. Look at Tyrese Cooped is best 100m is a excellent but not national level time of 10.5. He excels in the longer sprints with 400m being his best. Harley needs the short "separation" bursts in football.
Not sure if your comment was in response to my post or the other guys...If it was not aimed at me, then disregard the below reply.

That's awesome and I totally agree the 400m doesn't relate to football much at all. I was not offended by his comment. My comment was simply about the statement that the 49.5 is a national ELITE standard. Which, as I stated, I don't believe achieving a standard makes one elite. My comment was also not about the ability of Harley to play football, nor was it a knock on the kid. My comment, again was strictly about the time of 49.5 being an elite time. As I stated in my comment as well, I do believe it to be a fast time, but not elite. The elite times are ran by the kids in high school who are ranking among the top in the nation. That's why I posted the link with the best time in the US last year for high school athletes.

And Jerrell Weaver was about as good as any special teams player Miami has had.....

Nasty player with very good speed....

Abdullah....with that kind of speed combined with everyone saying size is an issue, why isn't he talked about as a safety? I haven't seen his highlights, but ****....he can run. What makes him a LB'er is he is light for the position?

weighed in about 2 weeks back at about 6'1 185pds. Mostly plays rush end....thats real light..considerin were bringing in a few dbs bigger than him in the class.

Sounds exactly like the weaver twins.

Advertisement
Vilma was actually running about 5.0 when he got here - but it makes a huge difference when you run in the right direction on the field....

He obviously gained some speed, but I don't know what he ended up running - probably down in the 4.7 range....

Not bad for a first-round pick and one of the best LBs to have played at Miami....

Jon Vilma was also 6'1", 190 as a senior Lb at the Gables.

Running a 4.9 at best. All this to say Vilma was developed. This kid can too. No one is asking this kid to play a year or maybe 2 so he can pack on good weight onto his frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He can shave 4 seconds off of his time & still not be close to winning states in the 400m. LOL

Lol im guessing that was an exaggeration

No sir, Tyrese Cooper runs 45.2

That is world class for a kid still in high school. He would've made the semi-finals of the Olympics with that time. He also would have finished ahead of our third competitor there.

Its crazy he's run a time like that. Future star for sure.

Schwartz from American heritage beat him in the 100m yesterday and it wasn't close

He's not a 100m runner though. His future is in the 400m & 200m which Schwartz can't touch him in.

Lol im guessing that was an exaggeration

No sir, Tyrese Cooper runs 45.2

That is world class for a kid still in high school. He would've made the semi-finals of the Olympics with that time. He also would have finished ahead of our third competitor there.

Its crazy he's run a time like that. Future star for sure.

Schwartz from American heritage beat him in the 100m yesterday and it wasn't close

He's not a 100m runner though. His future is in the 400m & 200m which Schwartz can't touch him in.

Not to mention he's a year younger I believe. Schwartz has him in the 100, but Cooper has run a 10.36....so he's no slouch there either.

Kids like Abdullah is what the U was built on. Underrated , freak athlete. Bring him to me and redshirt.

Advertisement
He can shave 4 seconds off of his time & still not be close to winning states in the 400m. LOL

Not sure why it matters he can't match a world class time. It can still be a good time, just like the fact Burns is way ahead of Lo in 300m right now, that doesn't diminish the fact he can still be an elite 300m hurdler. He just happens to be in the same state as the top HS hurdler in the nation right now.

Kids like Abdullah is what the U was built on. Underrated , freak athlete. Bring him to me and redshirt.

He's not a freak athlete though. Speedy guy, playing out of position in high school, and may grow into LB'er. Corner, WR, or safety with good speed right now.

IMG_0193.webp

Haha it's like the kid reads this board

He's not a freak athlete though. Speedy guy, playing out of position in high school, and may grow into LB'er. Corner, WR, or safety with good speed right now.

Have you watched his junior tape?

He looks explosive and strong playing DL at 190 lbs. You're right he's really not a freak athlete now, but he looks like a kid that can put on 25-30 lbs and still keep the explosion and speed. That speed at 225 lbs would make a freak safety or olb IMO.

Advertisement
Kids like this are why we need to maximize our class size every year. No more keeping JAGS around to waste valuable schollies. If you ain't producing or projected to produce, it's time to hit the road. A 25 or 26 man class won't have room for a 3rd "experimental" LB. A 28-29 man class can make room for one.

IMO jury is still out as to Abdullahs lateral ability and instinct/smarts for the LB position (which many on this thread are severely undervaluing as a prospect trait). His speed is nasty considering how hes able to hold up playing at DE and against serious size and strength on the OL. His size is a little less than expected, but he clearly is able to play big. He gets to the football and makes plays.

If he has the frame to add some good weight while keeping most of his speed, then he could be something special.

Standards

Given this, I would say sub-48 is the national standard, and sub-47 being elite.
Only 28 guys running those -47's. That's rarefied air.
Sub-46? Fuhgetabout it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMO jury is still out as to Abdullahs lateral ability and instinct/smarts for the LB position (which many on this thread are severely undervaluing as a prospect trait). His speed is nasty considering how hes able to hold up playing at DE and against serious size and strength on the OL. His size is a little less than expected, but he clearly is able to play big. He gets to the football and makes plays.

If he has the frame to add some good weight while keeping most of his speed, then he could be something special.

Bravo! Someone here actually understands football! For a LB, speed doesn't mean **** if one doesn't have the vision to diagnose the play and find the ball-carrier. That's why you just can't convert a fast DE into a LB. Frequently the reaction time isn't there and won't ever be developed.

Now in the case of Abdullah, he has apparently played S and LB before, so he may have that ability.

Have you watched his junior tape?

He looks explosive and strong playing DL at 190 lbs. You're right he's really not a freak athlete now, but he looks like a kid that can put on 25-30 lbs and still keep the explosion and speed. That speed at 225 lbs would make a freak safety or olb IMO.

Ni, I haven't watched a full game or full games. Highlights are great and all, but they don't tell anywhere close to the entire story. I don't care how he looks at DE, there's no way he's ever one in college.

Not sure why it matters he can't match a world class time. It can still be a good time, just like the fact Burns is way ahead of Lo in 300m right now, that doesn't diminish the fact he can still be an elite 300m hurdler. He just happens to be in the same state as the top HS hurdler in the nation right now.

A baller first that happens to be excellent in sprints from 40 to 400- that is what MR is after.

Advertisement
Back