Some early buzz from spring

Advertisement
I realize why everyone has high hopes for Kelly and Moss but I'd take a look at what freshmen edge rushers usually produce

from last year's 247 EDGE composite:

1. Dallas Turner (Bama) -- 30 tackles, 10 TFL, 8.5 sacks
2. Clayton Smith (Oklahoma) -- 3 tackles, 0.5 TFL
3. Keanu Koht (Bama) -- no stats
4. Demeioun Robinson (Maryland) -- 19 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 2 sacks
5. Jeremiah Williams (Florida) -- 3 tackles
6. Dylan Brooks (Auburn) -- no stats
7. Kevin Gilliam (Oklahoma) -- 2 tackles
8. Landon Jackson (LSU) -- no stats
9. Wilfredo Aybar (Stanford) -- no stats
10. TJ Bollers (Wisconsin) -- no stats
11. Saivion Jones (LSU) -- 3 tackles
12. Ethan Downs (Oklahoma) -- 14 tackles, 3 TFL, 0.5 sacks
13. Zaire Patterson (Clemson) -- no stats
14. Elijah Jeudy (Texas A&M) -- 1 tackle
15. Jahzion Harris (Texas A&M) -- 4 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack

2020 247 WDE (before they combined it all into one EDGE ranking) composite:

1. Will Anderson (Bama) -- 52 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 7 sacks
2. Chris Braswell (Bama) -- no stats
3. Sav'ell Smalls (Washington) -- 7 tackles
4. Desmond Evans (UNC) -- 10 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sacks
5. Donell Harris (Texas A&M) -- 1 tackle
6. BJ Ojulari (LSU) -- 16 tackles, 5 TFL, 4 sacks
7. Chantz Williams (Miami) -- 3 tackles
8. Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma) -- 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack
9. Fadil Diggs (Texas A&M) -- 2 tackles
10. Antwaun Powell (Florida) -- no stats
11. Demon Clowney (Ole Miss) -- 2 tackles
12. Morven Joseph (Tennessee) -- 2 tackles, 0.5 TFL
13. Jason Harris (Colorado) -- no stats
14. Jaylen Harrell (Michigan) -- 2 tackles
15. Jonathan Horton (UVA) -- no stats

I'm not going to go back and look at previous years but I doubt it's substantially different. Basically, if you're Bama and you're getting the No. 1 edge rusher in the nation you might be able to pencil in some real production. Kayvon Thibodeaux had a monster freshman season, so you can throw him in there too. Otherwise you're getting rotational production at best, but more than likely you're getting no meaningful production in year one. That edge players are largely going to be kids who are athletic and flexible but need to add strength and technique makes it unsurprising that it's a position group where you're not gonna get a lot of first year production.

Thats actually all we should be asking of true freshman rush players.. I dont get guys who think we will win with putting in Kelly and Moss just because.. Trenches aint no joke, let these guys mature and get spot duty, let them develop at their pace and put in position to succeed.. Their time will come
Exactly. Even at Bama it took 2 vets going down for turner to have a role. If Kelly or moss NEED TO PLAY..we in trouble

ghows-LK-172af9bb-799c-419f-b6f4-de393bc80f98-cdcc41f7.jpeg
Greg took a RS

Advertisement
Yep Savvanah State. He broke his ankle in that game. It ended up being the most convenient timing for an injury ever in retrospect.
True. But bro Greg was not gunna be in the rotation that year. Had Garvin and jack on the edge that year. Pat was still there and Demetrius Jackson..nobody was counting on Greg to play a heavy role unless we got hit in tht room.

If we have to depend on 17/18 yr olds on Los we are in some trouble.

Advertisement
Sharing some things I’ve heard from the first three days of camp. Remember, it’s only been three days of very limited contact.

- Tyler Van Dyke is very confident and carrying himself like QB1. Don’t be surprised to see him try more Mahomesish stuff like the 2-point conversion against UNC.

- Jacurri Brown is impressing with his size, personality and arm strength. He misses some easy throws (will improve with coaching) but has natural zip and a Lamar Jackson-like whip delivery. He drives the ball effortlessly.

- Thad Franklin has leaned up and is showing his athleticism in the passing game. Hands-catcher and very shifty for his size.

- Starting WRs have mostly been Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George.

- Jaleel Skinner looks more advanced than expected. We knew he had speed and length, but he is showing some lateral quickness and is competing at a high level. IMG training clearly helped him.

- Starting OL has been Zion-Troure-Clark-Justice-Scaife. Logan Sagapolou has gotta reps as well. John Campbell and Jalen Rivers have been getting worked in and I won’t be surprised if they are starting by end of camp (with Scaife pushed in and Troure/Justice moving to second team). The three ‘21 signees show flashes, especially McLaughlin with his length and foot quickness.

- Harvey and Chantz have been starting defensive ends with Taylor, JHH, Lichtenstein and Miller rotating at tackle. Elijah Roberts will be in the end mix when his ankle heals.

- Steed and Keontra Smith getting majority of reps at LB.

- Blades has been a very pleasant surprise with his twitch and movement ability. He’s worked outside and inside. I wasn’t sure what his future was in football, but he looks ready to play a role. Malik Curtis is learning and moves better than anyone in the room.

- James Williams is lean and comfortable at safety. He is a leader on the team. Brian Balom looks healthy.

Overall, the biggest difference is the amount of coaches on the field (one source says it looks 3X as big) and the emphasis on physicality in practice.
What’s the bad news?

I don’t think anybody strictly wants him to be a LB, at least no one with any sense.

But a kid his size with his skill set has the ability to be a versatile Defender.

The same way Isaiah Simmons & Jayron Kearse were used at Clemson, or Derwin James at FSU.

You can move him all over the field in certain packages & use his freakish ability to the Defenses advantage.

He can be a Swiss Army knife Defender & give the Defense more flexibility in certain personnel groupings on 3rd Downs, Blitz packages & in Nickel coverage etc..

We could realistically have JWill, Kam, Tae, Chase Smith, Keontra & Gilbert all on the field at the same time.
Post in thread 'Potential Defense Depth Chart: 3-4 (Glenn Schumann and others)' https://www.canesinsight.com/thread...glenn-schumann-and-others.174844/post-5599675

This was before we got transfers and a defensive staff.

Last edited:
Yes .. I mean you look at Jacurri Brown's overall production as a High School QB ... he had more PASSING TD'S than Jake Garcia and TVD ... combined ... and in addition to that he had another 54 rushing TD's. Are you freaking kidding me??

-TVD 4643 pass yards (39 Pass TDs) and 267 rush yards.
-Jake 4278 pass yards (47 pass TD) and 43 rush yards (don't know why some people feel he is 'mobile').
-Jacurri 5552 pass yards (51 pass TDs) and 4205 rushing yards with 54 rushing TD's. Heck ... he might be the best RB on the roster.

Ponce has to spend time with Jacurri ... kid is a rare, special player.

Vince Young like talent AND a better passer? The kid has tools to be a legendary college player.

We just need Gattis and / or the next oc to fit the offense to him and teach him to throw the quick game at his highest potential. He can throw deep fine. Teach him to read quickly and make the right decision quickly on shorter throws and in the middle of the field and he will be Heisman/ First team AA worthy.

He is smart, hard working, and improvises well. I think he exceeds our expectations. I don’t think people realize the coup Lashlee pulled reeling him in.

Advertisement
I realize why everyone has high hopes for Kelly and Moss but I'd take a look at what freshmen edge rushers usually produce

from last year's 247 EDGE composite:

1. Dallas Turner (Bama) -- 30 tackles, 10 TFL, 8.5 sacks
2. Clayton Smith (Oklahoma) -- 3 tackles, 0.5 TFL
3. Keanu Koht (Bama) -- no stats
4. Demeioun Robinson (Maryland) -- 19 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 2 sacks
5. Jeremiah Williams (Florida) -- 3 tackles
6. Dylan Brooks (Auburn) -- no stats
7. Kevin Gilliam (Oklahoma) -- 2 tackles
8. Landon Jackson (LSU) -- no stats
9. Wilfredo Aybar (Stanford) -- no stats
10. TJ Bollers (Wisconsin) -- no stats
11. Saivion Jones (LSU) -- 3 tackles
12. Ethan Downs (Oklahoma) -- 14 tackles, 3 TFL, 0.5 sacks
13. Zaire Patterson (Clemson) -- no stats
14. Elijah Jeudy (Texas A&M) -- 1 tackle
15. Jahzion Harris (Texas A&M) -- 4 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack

2020 247 WDE (before they combined it all into one EDGE ranking) composite:

1. Will Anderson (Bama) -- 52 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 7 sacks
2. Chris Braswell (Bama) -- no stats
3. Sav'ell Smalls (Washington) -- 7 tackles
4. Desmond Evans (UNC) -- 10 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sacks
5. Donell Harris (Texas A&M) -- 1 tackle
6. BJ Ojulari (LSU) -- 16 tackles, 5 TFL, 4 sacks
7. Chantz Williams (Miami) -- 3 tackles
8. Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma) -- 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack
9. Fadil Diggs (Texas A&M) -- 2 tackles
10. Antwaun Powell (Florida) -- no stats
11. Demon Clowney (Ole Miss) -- 2 tackles
12. Morven Joseph (Tennessee) -- 2 tackles, 0.5 TFL
13. Jason Harris (Colorado) -- no stats
14. Jaylen Harrell (Michigan) -- 2 tackles
15. Jonathan Horton (UVA) -- no stats

I'm not going to go back and look at previous years but I doubt it's substantially different. Basically, if you're Bama and you're getting the No. 1 edge rusher in the nation you might be able to pencil in some real production. Kayvon Thibodeaux had a monster freshman season, so you can throw him in there too. Otherwise you're getting rotational production at best, but more than likely you're getting no meaningful production in year one. That edge players are largely going to be kids who are athletic and flexible but need to add strength and technique makes it unsurprising that it's a position group where you're not gonna get a lot of first year production.

Data can be a powerful tool.

We can hope all we want but the facts are that high producing true freshmen along either side of the line are extremely rare.

Advertisement
Is there any news regarding Seymour, Rodriguez?

They seemed like finished product types that should compete immediately when we got them from all accounts and then haven't heard a peep since they got on campus.

Sharing some things I’ve heard from the first three days of camp. Remember, it’s only been three days of very limited contact.

- Tyler Van Dyke is very confident and carrying himself like QB1. Don’t be surprised to see him try more Mahomesish stuff like the 2-point conversion against UNC.

- Jacurri Brown is impressing with his size, personality and arm strength. He misses some easy throws (will improve with coaching) but has natural zip and a Lamar Jackson-like whip delivery. He drives the ball effortlessly.

- Thad Franklin has leaned up and is showing his athleticism in the passing game. Hands-catcher and very shifty for his size.

- Starting WRs have mostly been Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George.

- Jaleel Skinner looks more advanced than expected. We knew he had speed and length, but he is showing some lateral quickness and is competing at a high level. IMG training clearly helped him.

- Starting OL has been Zion-Troure-Clark-Justice-Scaife. Logan Sagapolou has gotta reps as well. John Campbell and Jalen Rivers have been getting worked in and I won’t be surprised if they are starting by end of camp (with Scaife pushed in and Troure/Justice moving to second team). The three ‘21 signees show flashes, especially McLaughlin with his length and foot quickness.

- Harvey and Chantz have been starting defensive ends with Taylor, JHH, Lichtenstein and Miller rotating at tackle. Elijah Roberts will be in the end mix when his ankle heals.

- Steed and Keontra Smith getting majority of reps at LB.

- Blades has been a very pleasant surprise with his twitch and movement ability. He’s worked outside and inside. I wasn’t sure what his future was in football, but he looks ready to play a role. Malik Curtis is learning and moves better than anyone in the room.

- James Williams is lean and comfortable at safety. He is a leader on the team. Brian Balom looks healthy.

Overall, the biggest difference is the amount of coaches on the field (one source says it looks 3X as big) and the emphasis on physicality in practice.

I think James Williams said he was 218 at the media day? That's a rangy kid.

Advertisement
Back