Some early buzz from spring

Advertisement
Moss is 220 pounds. You all remember how Zion Nelson played his freshman campaign when he had to go against guys who've been in a collegiate weight room for 2+ years? It'll likely be the same experience. He likely needs a redshirt campaign to focus on physical development. If he's seeing significant reps, either there's injuries or the dude is a marvel; even if he puts on some weight in the next 5-6 months (which he will), strength will be slower to come by than weight.

I'm happy for Avantae. Seems to be taking full advantage of his second chance. Way to work, young man.

1647291985191.webp

They will be on the field at the same time, Tae will play as a Nickel Safety.

Most of the JW to LB talk just comes from the fact it’s rare to see a 6’5 230lbs Safety that can move like him.

But here’s the caveat, it does’t have to be an either or proposition, if we use him like Isaiah Simmons, Derwin James, Jayron Kearse etc he can get snaps at multiple positions.

I’ve posted this multiple times, but I will again:

View attachment 179596

Move him all over the field.

I have definitely been saying I see J Will to LB eventually but this is a good post that I can’t ignore.

Advertisement
Moss is 220 pounds. You all remember how Zion Nelson played his freshman campaign when he had to go against guys who've been in a collegiate weight room for 2+ years? It'll likely be the same experience. He likely needs a redshirt campaign to focus on physical development. If he's seeing significant reps, either there's injuries or the dude is a marvel; even if he puts on some weight in the next 5-6 months (which he will), strength will be slower to come by than weight.

F-that, he aint spending 5 years here so why RS? I agree he is likely too light to play every down and would have a bigger learning curve against the run but on obvious passing downs? He can be that DE, think Garvin his TF year. I think he came in at 6'4 235 and while not having a huge impact, played in all 13 games, two huge strip sacks for us, dude was a problem off the edge when his only responsibility was go get the QB.

Edit: Even though I hate comparing players to rivals, look at Brian Burns. I think dude played at FSU around 220 his entire career. Came out of HS weight 209 and had 9 sacks his freshman year. Moss can do that. Also DE and OL are different when it comes to that weight/size analysis.

Last edited:
Also there are levels to it. Obviously I want Canes to do well in the NFL but I really care about college.

Lamar Jackson never completed more than 59% of his passes in college, was always in the 52-59 range, and was a stud. Russel Wilson was the same way at NC State for 3 years. If that is their ceiling so be it, I will take it.
Yes .. I mean you look at Jacurri Brown's overall production as a High School QB ... he had more PASSING TD'S than Jake Garcia and TVD ... combined ... and in addition to that he had another 54 rushing TD's. Are you freaking kidding me??

-TVD 4643 pass yards (39 Pass TDs) and 267 rush yards.
-Jake 4278 pass yards (47 pass TD) and 43 rush yards (don't know why some people feel he is 'mobile').
-Jacurri 5552 pass yards (51 pass TDs) and 4205 rushing yards with 54 rushing TD's. Heck ... he might be the best RB on the roster.

Ponce has to spend time with Jacurri ... kid is a rare, special player.

Just my opinion but I think a lot of the JWill to LB talk comes from wanting to see him, Kam, and Tae on the field at the same time

No it doesn't.

It comes from ignorant people who just cite meaningless statistics like "no safety in the NFL is over a X'Y" in height".

Over and over and over again, CIS fake-geniuses have come here to wax fake-brilliance on how James Williams is fated to move to LB.

No analysis of James' skills or traits or desire to play a particular position. Nope, just a bunch of CIS reverse-Manny-Garcias, who have dictated the position a kid should play based solely on his height.

If Kam Kinchens blew out an ACL or Avantae Williams transferred, you'd still see the same Dope Squad screaming about the inevitability of moving James Williams to linebacker.

Pathetic.

I don’t think anybody strictly wants him to be a LB, at least no one with any sense.

But a kid his size with his skill set has the ability to be a versatile Defender.

The same way Isaiah Simmons & Jayron Kearse were used at Clemson, or Derwin James at FSU.

You can move him all over the field in certain packages & use his freakish ability to the Defenses advantage.

He can be a Swiss Army knife Defender & give the Defense more flexibility in certain personnel groupings on 3rd Downs, Blitz packages & in Nickel coverage etc..

We could realistically have JWill, Kam, Tae, Chase Smith, Keontra & Gilbert all on the field at the same time.

IN my view, there are times when Miami will just have to have it's fastest unit out there defensively. And it's in those sets he might be moved down closer to the box. My hope is that he'll be deployed like the Queen on a chess board by Bobby Fischer Steele

Advertisement
I don’t think anybody strictly wants him to be a LB, at least no one with any sense.

But a kid his size with his skill set has the ability to be a versatile Defender.

The same way Isaiah Simmons & Jayron Kearse were used at Clemson, or Derwin James at FSU.

You can move him all over the field in certain packages & use his freakish ability to the Defenses advantage.

He can be a Swiss Army knife Defender & give the Defense more flexibility in certain personnel groupings on 3rd Downs, Blitz packages & in Nickel coverage etc..

We could realistically have JWill, Kam, Tae, Chase Smith, Keontra & Gilbert all on the field at the same time.
Agreed. If Jwill is playing deep half or center field 50% or more of the snaps than Steel and Strong weren't who we thought they were

My money is on Al Blades getting the #2 cb spot
So if Tyrique is number one, you’ve got Blades at number two? Who’s your 3, 4, 5 and 6? We’re taking about fall correct? Spring he’s probably number 3/4 as it stands now

Advertisement
No it doesn't.

It comes from ignorant people who just cite meaningless statistics like "no safety in the NFL is over a X'Y" in height".

Over and over and over again, CIS fake-geniuses have come here to wax fake-brilliance on how James Williams is fated to move to LB.

No analysis of James' skills or traits or desire to play a particular position. Nope, just a bunch of CIS reverse-Manny-Garcias, who have dictated the position a kid should play based solely on his height.

If Kam Kinchens blew out an ACL or Avantae Williams transferred, you'd still see the same Dope Squad screaming about the inevitability of moving James Williams to linebacker.

Pathetic.
I am of the opinion that JW should see snaps at LB and nickel (as well as safety). It is based on 2 separate lines of reasoning:

1. Value over replacement player. I believe Kam, Tae and JW all need to be on the field, bc it gets our best guys on the field. You take a lesser player at LB and move him to the bench. JW is the only safety that has the tools to fit the bill. Additionally, the other 2 guys are solid safeties, and their skill sets at safety compliment each other perfectly (Tae roaming, Kam filling, to put it in simple terms).

2. I believe JW’s length and short area quickness becomes more disruptive as you move him closer to the LOS. He can take away a WR curl and cover the flats at the same time. He can use his length to disrupt pass lanes. He can blitz off the edge (while still disguising it).

I don’t think anyone wants to see JW line up in a traditional LB role - if you have him shedding blocks and taking on guards, you neutralize that same skill set that makes him so valuable. I’d like to see him remain freed up to do what he does.

I believe you are doing a disservice to the defense as a whole by playing him only as a deep safety. It’s no different than playing Percy Harvin or Deebo Samuel at multiple positions on offense.

Alphonso Jr was the best CB on the team before he got Covid & his career took a bit of downslide.

If he’s back healthy that bodes very well for the CB group.

He’s the most technically sound cover corner we have, under better coaching he should be able to secure a significant role if not be the starter at Boundary. I mean if we’re being honest, there’s really no reason to start Ivey if Blades & Stevenson are both good to go come Fall camp with Daryl Porter Jr coming & Malik Curtis emerging.

Plus we got Jaden Harris & Chris Graves coming in the Summer as well geared up & ready to go for Fall, we could have enough depth to not have to force ourselves to play any liabilities in the Secondary.

Still hope we add another LB from the Portal before Fall camp...

Still think we could’ve used another sure handed veteran at WR.

No reason to use past tense on that last line. We will have a lot of activity in the portal both in and out between now and fall camp IMO. Pretty sure the coaches wanted to see what they had before topping off the roster. I think we also need to push some kids out first, too.

Advertisement
I’ll take as much help as we can get.

If we can find another good CB out the Portal between now & Fall, I’m all for it. Do I think that will happen? Probably not, but if a big time Corner hits the Portal Post Spring, **** yeah we should take’em!

I agree, I think we still need a true Mike LB, another WR & it would be imperative for us to add Dar’jarri Coleman who just hit the Portal from Jacksonville ST, he’s a highly productive 6’6 245lbs kid outta of ATL with very good pass rush skills, but needs to increase his Draft profile, he’d be a perfect fit for our Defense. The staff gotta be on that one heavy & have Ruiz crack open the LifeWallet.
They going after the ucla end who got miami in his top 4 and is supposed to visit at some point

People act like it's three downs or nothing. Moss has natural rushing skills that aren't on the roster, other than possibly his compadre, Kelly. He can be used situationally in 3rd down situations or moved around and blitzed, and a good DC can have fun with him. He could also easily be up to 230-235 pretty quickly if his body cooperates. Give him a small package that's easy for him to focus on and get him on the field here and there. I don't think that kid is going to be here five years anyway.

That first step, man...

Advertisement
Back