Some early buzz from spring

Advertisement
Sharing some things I’ve heard from the first three days of camp. Remember, it’s only been three days of very limited contact.

- Tyler Van Dyke is very confident and carrying himself like QB1. Don’t be surprised to see him try more Mahomesish stuff like the 2-point conversion against UNC.

- Jacurri Brown is impressing with his size, personality and arm strength. He misses some easy throws (will improve with coaching) but has natural zip and a Lamar Jackson-like whip delivery. He drives the ball effortlessly.

- Thad Franklin has leaned up and is showing his athleticism in the passing game. Hands-catcher and very shifty for his size.

- Starting WRs have mostly been Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George.

- Jaleel Skinner looks more advanced than expected. We knew he had speed and length, but he is showing some lateral quickness and is competing at a high level. IMG training clearly helped him.

- Starting OL has been Zion-Troure-Clark-Justice-Scaife. Logan Sagapolou has gotta reps as well. John Campbell and Jalen Rivers have been getting worked in and I won’t be surprised if they are starting by end of camp (with Scaife pushed in and Troure/Justice moving to second team). The three ‘21 signees show flashes, especially McLaughlin with his length and foot quickness.

- Harvey and Chantz have been starting defensive ends with Taylor, JHH, Lichtenstein and Miller rotating at tackle. Elijah Roberts will be in the end mix when his ankle heals.

- Steed and Keontra Smith getting majority of reps at LB.

- Blades has been a very pleasant surprise with his twitch and movement ability. He’s worked outside and inside. I wasn’t sure what his future was in football, but he looks ready to play a role. Malik Curtis is learning and moves better than anyone in the room.

- James Williams is lean and comfortable at safety. He is a leader on the team. Brian Balom looks healthy.

Overall, the biggest difference is the amount of coaches on the field (one source says it looks 3X as big) and the emphasis on physicality in practice.

This is all accurate based on what I've seen. I've been to two practices and we are coaching these guys so hard. The WR and QB's are getting coached up big time. Gattis and Ponce are technicians. Kevin Steele knows how to command the D as well. Very impressive. Overall TVD and JW are the 2 best players on the team IMO. They jump off the field.

Advertisement
Still hope we add another LB from the Portal before Fall camp...

Still think we could’ve used another sure handed veteran at WR.

So with Blades and the young CBs, are you okay with Porter as our only CB portal kid? ... I still feel we need transfers at MLB, RT, Rush End, plus another CB, WR and DT if the right guys come along there. But maybe I'm being too pessimistic with the existing roster?

Sharing some things I’ve heard from the first three days of camp. Remember, it’s only been three days of very limited contact.

- Tyler Van Dyke is very confident and carrying himself like QB1. Don’t be surprised to see him try more Mahomesish stuff like the 2-point conversion against UNC.

- Jacurri Brown is impressing with his size, personality and arm strength. He misses some easy throws (will improve with coaching) but has natural zip and a Lamar Jackson-like whip delivery. He drives the ball effortlessly.

- Thad Franklin has leaned up and is showing his athleticism in the passing game. Hands-catcher and very shifty for his size.

- Starting WRs have mostly been Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George.

- Jaleel Skinner looks more advanced than expected. We knew he had speed and length, but he is showing some lateral quickness and is competing at a high level. IMG training clearly helped him.

- Starting OL has been Zion-Troure-Clark-Justice-Scaife. Logan Sagapolou has gotta reps as well. John Campbell and Jalen Rivers have been getting worked in and I won’t be surprised if they are starting by end of camp (with Scaife pushed in and Troure/Justice moving to second team). The three ‘21 signees show flashes, especially McLaughlin with his length and foot quickness.

- Harvey and Chantz have been starting defensive ends with Taylor, JHH, Lichtenstein and Miller rotating at tackle. Elijah Roberts will be in the end mix when his ankle heals.

- Blades has been a very pleasant surprise with his twitch and movement ability. He’s worked outside and inside. I wasn’t sure what his future was in football, but he looks ready to play a role. Malik Curtis is learning and moves better than anyone in the room.

- James Williams is lean and comfortable at safety. He is a leader on the team. Brian Balom looks healthy.

Overall, the biggest difference is the amount of coaches on the field (one source says it looks 3X as big) and the emphasis on physicality in practice.
As the resident hater of the LB room, I’m so happy for Steed to get a fresh start under better coaching

based on only watching the QBs throw into the different boxes in the passing net, Garcia is the most accurate, followed by TVD and then way behind them is Jacurri.

No doubt. But TVD is so accurate when they are going live with his crossing routes and anything downfield over 25 yards. Garcia is a little more accurate with the out routes. I think there is a clear separation between the two.

So with Blades and the young CBs, are you okay with Porter as our only CB portal kid? ... I still feel we need transfers at MLB, RT, Rush End, plus another CB, WR and DT if the right guys come along there. But maybe I'm being too pessimistic with the existing roster?
I’ll take as much help as we can get.

If we can find another good CB out the Portal between now & Fall, I’m all for it. Do I think that will happen? Probably not, but if a big time Corner hits the Portal Post Spring, **** yeah we should take’em!

I agree, I think we still need a true Mike LB, another WR & it would be imperative for us to add Dar’jarri Coleman who just hit the Portal from Jacksonville ST, he’s a highly productive 6’6 245lbs kid outta of ATL with very good pass rush skills, but needs to increase his Draft profile, he’d be a perfect fit for our Defense. The staff gotta be on that one heavy & have Ruiz crack open the LifeWallet.

Advertisement
I just think it's unrealistic to rely on getting that many starters/impact players from the portal in one off season. I'm not saying there won't be guys out there but a lot of transfers, specifically veteran ones, are looking to go somewhere they can start. I don't think anyone at corner or WR is going to be able to walk in and take the starting job. Especially if Blades is healthy and playing at a solid level again. Nobody is going to want to transfer here to be the fourth cornerback or fifth wide receiver. As it is, Ladson can't beat out the guys we already had. I think we chase the best available inside linebacker and kick the tires on anyone who can rush the passer or a widebody type at DT.

And people want James moved to backer, 6’5” and moves like he’s 5’11”
I don’t think anybody strictly wants him to be a LB, at least no one with any sense.

But a kid his size with his skill set has the ability to be a versatile Defender.

The same way Isaiah Simmons & Jayron Kearse were used at Clemson, or Derwin James at FSU.

You can move him all over the field in certain packages & use his freakish ability to the Defenses advantage.

He can be a Swiss Army knife Defender & give the Defense more flexibility in certain personnel groupings on 3rd Downs, Blitz packages & in Nickel coverage etc..

We could realistically have JWill, Kam, Tae, Chase Smith, Keontra & Gilbert all on the field at the same time.

We could realistically have JWill, Kam, Tae, Chase Smith, Keontra & Gilbert all on the field at the same time.
I was really disappointed we didn't see more creative looks like this from Manny last year. Especially with how poor a lot of the "base package" players were. What good is running the base 4-2-5 out there every play if you've got two linebackers and at least one safety who aren't doing anything? Manny had shown some creativity in the past, especially with pass rushing packages and I was really shocked he kept everything so vanilla.

Advertisement

Very insightful report ...

I just think it's unrealistic to rely on getting that many starters/impact players from the portal in one off season. I'm not saying there won't be guys out there but a lot of transfers, specifically veteran ones, are looking to go somewhere they can start. I don't think anyone at corner or WR is going to be able to walk in and take the starting job. Especially if Blades is healthy and playing at a solid level again. Nobody is going to want to transfer here to be the fourth cornerback or fifth wide receiver. As it is, Ladson can't beat out the guys we already had. I think we chase the best available inside linebacker and kick the tires on anyone who can rush the passer or a widebody type at DT.
USC, Ole Miss & Arkansas just did.

In theory you’re right, but the exception is a big time impact guy can come in & take those spots, it’s just not likely because all those types of players already got snatched up months ago in the Portal.

If we could’ve landed Antoine Wells out the Portal we would have the best WR corps in the ACC right now, but I think they didn’t really go as hard for WR this offseason because the primary focus will be the run game & TE’s, so adding a depth piece like Ladson rather than a full time starter who’s gonna want a lot of targets probably made the most sense for their plan.

Adding a vet Mike LB & premier pass rusher is the top priority now, the Post Spring Portal wave is supposed to have some pretty good prospects available, it’s just a matter of who & when we go after them.

USC, Ole Miss & Arkansas just did.

In theory you’re right, but the exception is a big time impact guy can come in & take those spots, it’s just not likely because all those types of players already got snatched up months ago in the Portal.

If we could’ve landed Antoine Wells out the Portal we would have the best WR corps in the ACC right now, but I think they didn’t really go as hard for WR this offseason because the primary focus will be the run game & TE’s, so adding a depth piece like Ladson rather than a full time starter who’s gonna want a lot of targets probably made the most sense for their plan.

Adding a vet Mike LB & premier pass rusher is the top priority now, the Post Spring Portal wave is supposed to have some pretty good prospects available, it’s just a matter of who & when we go after them.
Didn't Michigan State just do it and get within a win or two of making the CFP?

Advertisement
Love the tools Brown has to work with, but a word of caution: inaccuracy is a problem that often can't be "coached" out of a passer.
I don’t think they are saying he is that inaccurate. I mean, even the best of them throw bad passes here and there. They just exaggerate this things.. especially when it is a black QB that can run, unfortunately. But what he may be a bit inefficient at in passing he more than makes up for with his running. He will have one less defender in coverage than other QBs cause you have to account for his legs with a spy. You can’t teach a **** to be that big, and that quick! Plus he hasn’t had “pro” training like the rest of these QBs with money who pay Guru’s for training.

DMoney - thanks as always for the insight! Have you heard anything about Chase Smith or Huff at LB? I was surprised not to see their names in your writeup.

Advertisement
Back