Ruiz stadium update

A well run and exploited facility in a major market like Miami will have more concerts than home football games. But we would be competing with HRS for shows. I would guess that a bowl game might be created for the venue, as well as HS football championships and big games, maybe exhibition soccer matches... Ruiz says it will have retractable roof so that means it could be used for conventions and other indoor programming as well.
I hope they dont design it for soccer.. thats when you get the sideline seats a mile away from the field.

Advertisement
why would UM get the revenue if Ruiz is going to be the one developing the park? UM would be a tenant at the tropical just like it is at HRS unless UM puts money into the deal, which doesnt seem likely.

Allow me to address this.

First, I think that Ruiz would get revenue from OTHER development at the perimeter of the park, things like restaurants and shopping.

Second, at least I personally have only ever called for UM to get revenues from GAMEDAY-RELATED money streams. If UM was also asked to manage the facility for concerts, etc., that would be OK too.

your right and wrong.. They moved the sidelines a lot closer while also removing a lot of the seats that were furthest away so the average seat is for sure closer. but all remaining uperdeck seats are in the same place. The added roof did a lot to make it feel closer in with the reflected noise.

Sorry, but you are full of ****e on this. They didn't "move the sidelines a lot closer". They added more seats closer to the field DOWN LOW, but the EXISTING seats everywhere else did not move at all.

AND THEY DID NOT TOUCH THE UPPER DECK. Or the club seats. Or the end zones. New seatbacks, sure, but not a RELOCATION of seating.

Look, you may THINK you know something about this, but you don't. The old Orange Bowl had a 2-to-1 ratio of seats in the lower bowl to the upper bowl. Hard Rock (at construction) flipped that ratio from 2-to-1 to 1-to-2, with soooo much more capacity in the upper deck. And, yes, I know many of those seats in the corners have subsequently been removed.

Bottom line, you are full of it. The club seats never moved. The upper deck never moved. The end zones never moved. And while SOME sideline seats were added down low, the vast majority of the sideiline seats in the lower bowl NEVER MOVED.

So please stop BS-ing about "the average seat is for sure closer". That is simply not true. It's architecturally impossible. It's mathematically impossible. It never happened. It's just not true.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I sound like someone who cares about my university and my Canes. You're the Karen whining about having to drive an extra 20 minutes from Broward so that the U can have facility security, sovereignty, and increased revenue to fund the AD.

I think you should show your teenager how to write a tersely worded letter to the AD so that your complaint is registered. You show em!
Funny thing is I never said one thing about the drive. In fact go back and search and show me where I said anything about the drive.

I'll wait.

There's potentially more green space in the park based on these renderings since they would fill areas around the lakes and build new walking/bike trails. The prospect of a brand new park is just as intriguing as the new stadium imo. Sparkling new facilities for soccer, tennis, aquatics, softball/basbeall. There's been pushback on twitter about losing the existing running track. Ruiz said there would still be a track but he might have been referring to a running trail instead.

image.jpg

You didn't have to. You're a transparent read. It was easy. Good luck. I hope you come around.
There's nothing to come around on. Like I said I love HRS because it's proved itself to be a fantastic stadium. Would I love the U to have their own stadium? Yes of course but only if it works. If it has to be a smaller stadium with no tailgating then no I'd rather stay at HRS. If he's able to accomplish a bigger stadium with ample parking and tailgating lets do it!

My dream since leaving th OB was for the Marlins to fail so we could get that property back. I still hold out hope for that.

Advertisement
Sorry, but you are full of ****e on this. They didn't "move the sidelines a lot closer". They added more seats closer to the field DOWN LOW, but the EXISTING seats did not move at all.

AND THEY DID NOT TOUCH THE UPPER DECK. Or the club seats. Or the end zones.

Look, you may THINK you know something about this, but you don't. The old Orange Bowl had a 2-to-1 ratio of seats in the lower bowl to the upper bowl. Hard Rock (at construction) flipped that ratio from 2-to-1 to 1-to-2, with soooo much more capacity in the upper deck. And, yes, I know many of those seats in the corners have subsequently been removed.

Bottom line, you are full of it. The club seats never moved. The upper deck never moved. The end zones never moved. And while SOME sideline seats were added down low, the vast majority of the sideiline seats in the lower bowl NEVER MOVED.

So please stop BS-ing about "the average seat is for sure closer". That is simply not true. It's architecturally impossible. It's mathematically impossible. It never happened. It's just not true.
you don't know wtf you are talking about. They rebuilt the lower bowl pushing seats closer to the field and removing some of the furthest seats (you recall the corners were removed in the upper deck)....... whatever, if you cant figure that the average distance from the field was reduced with the reno then Im wasting my time

nothing is ever that easy in dade county man lol. even inter got their stadium site approved after YEARS of trying and they still haven't started any sort of construction. I think thats why you see a ton of doubt esp from those that have lived their lives here and have seen how difficult it is to gt anything done with the county esp stadium building after the marlins deal. no one can get funds or even sites with ease. the land is the biggest obstacle and not something we can just brush off. he doenst have the land yet. he has plans and paid an architect (idc how famous that company is it means nothing until he is granted the land). he doesn't have the land nor access to it. he has to go to the county and put it to vote. dont think people will be thrilled to give away the land to a private individual for another stadium build while that land is perfectly fine as a park and has been. people love the canes but not that much lol to just give away another park.

That’s no never mind; if I heard that was the only argument, I wouldn’t have made my post. My post is predicated upon fans “not wanting it to happen.” There’s a fundamental difference between weary of it happening due to the political element out there vs. not wanting it to happen b/c of inconvenience for them. Those r two separate issues, & if I’m going to be honest, it feels like some are skeptical, others optimistic, but a certain segment that’s looking to chit on any & every thing about this.

That’s who that post was specifically directed at. I get the skepticism, there’s plenty of tangible evidence not to get hopes up to high on this b/c of that; but, that’s not what’s going on in this thread. The combatants are now using “available parking spaces” as a means to undermine enthusiasm. Using potential f’ing “underground parking” as a means to chit on this. U name it, & it’s been used to chit on this v. embracing a man, WHO’S AN ALUM & FILTHY RICH who’s trying to step up.

And this is y I’ve said for yrs, this is one of the most close-minded, narrowed vision fan bases in America. Really got ppl saying, I rather have NIL than a stadium. What??! These same folks have said “I wish we had Uncle Phil as a donor ‘cuz look at UO” or “We’ll never have donors like Bama & that’s y we’re so behind” ; yet, this off season we’ve:
-hired one of the hottest coaches in the nation (ppl chitted on that: “But, but, but Lane Train)

-hired one of the best AD’s in the nation (ppl chitted on that: “But, but, but Jurich!)

-hired a GM for football ops (ppl questioned that: “But, but, but how’s that going to work w/ Rad?)

-NOW have the donor we’ve all been praying for (ppl chitted on that: “But, but, but his stock, but, but, but, ppl r jocking him way too hard!”)

This is what I gotta read every single f’ing day from a segment of this fan base; but, these same mofos have caped up saying:
-Diaz the Gawd
-Diaz needs more time
-Blake just needs a hands off role & provided help
-Blake has been a good fundraiser
-Say what u want about Diaz, but we were only 4 close games away from winning 10+

Make any of that chit make sense, while chitting on real efforts to put us in the best position possible to catch up to the big boys!

There's nothing to come around on. Like I said I love HRS because it's proved itself to be a fantastic stadium. Would I love the U to have their own stadium? Yes of course but only if it works. If it has to be a smaller stadium with no tailgating then no I'd rather stay at HRS. If he's able to accomplish a bigger stadium with ample parking and tailgating lets do it!

My dream since leaving th OB was for the Marlins to fail so we could get that property back. I still hold out hope for that.

But there you go again. Making up the boogyman. :)

Ruiz literally said 65k this week. HRS is 65,***. It's located in a PARK. Ruiz said a lot of parking will be all around the park. Tailgating in a park would be incredible. There will be accommodations for game day. So nah amigo.

HRS is a great stadium. In a terrible, industrial, soulless location, a location that is senseless for our school (teams literally negatively recruit against us for it fwiw), we don't generate enough game day revenue from it, and most importantly, its a privately owned stadium where we are the 4th priority (and growing), a stadium that we have no legal right to playing in when our contract expires. What if a Gator or a weirdo buys the stadium next? I just don't think a lot of people understand the security and sovereignty aspect of the equation. See the whole field, so to speak. Because its everything. If Tropical Park happens the way the Ruiz' are saying it would, this is a lottery ticket for any and every UM fan. Because it will benefit our program in so many ways.

Okay I’ll bite bro! The real concern I have is how long it’s gonna take him to convince the county To make a deal for the land because there’s public fatigue about inter-Miami and the Marlins. So this has to be done quickly after he reveals the real plans.

That’s a valid concern, & that post wasn’t directed towards these types of concerns. There’s concerns, & then there’s simply chitting on a plan.

Advertisement
But there you go again. Making up the boogyman. :)

Ruiz literally said 65k this week. HRS is 65,***. It's located in a PARK. Ruiz said a lot of parking will be all around the park. Tailgating in a park would be incredible. There will be accommodations for game day. So nah amigo.

HRS is a great stadium. In a terrible, industrial, soulless location, a location that is senseless for our school (teams literally negatively recruit against us for it fwiw), we don't generate enough game day revenue from it, and most importantly, its a privately owned stadium where we are the 4th priority (and growing), a stadium that we have no legal right to playing in when our contract expires. What if a Gator or a weirdo buys the stadium next? I just don't think a lot of people understand the security and sovereignty aspect of the equation. See the whole field, so to speak. Because its everything. If Tropical Park happens the way the Ruiz' are saying it would, this is a lottery ticket for any and every UM fan. Because it will benefit our program in so many ways.
I mentioned how Gillette Stadium had an entertainment complex adjacent that was brand new and quite nice. HRS is glaringly lacking that or anything comparable nearby. But even with the benefit of adding that and assuming all other amenities stay equal, the university needs to see additional revenue like naming rights or other events to make this worthwhile.

It would be nice to be able to go and eat at a restaurant or hang out at a bar either before or after a game until traffic improves.

I mentioned how Gillette Stadium had an entertainment complex adjacent that was brand new and quite nice. HRS is glaringly lacking that or anything comparable nearby. But even with the benefit of adding that and assuming all other amenities stay equal, the university needs to see additional revenue like naming rights or other events to make this worthwhile.

It would be nice to be able to go and eat at a restaurant or hang out at a bar either before or after a game until traffic improves.

Yep the plan is to build a "Miami Live!" area for just that.

Advertisement
you don't know wtf you are talking about. They rebuilt the lower bowl pushing seats closer to the field and removing some of the furthest seats (you recall the corners were removed in the upper deck)....... whatever, if you cant figure that the average distance from the field was reduced with the reno then Im wasting my time

You are a flat-out liar. They did NOT "rebuild the lower bowl pushing seats closer to the field". That's just a lie, plus it is an architectural impossibility.

There were parts of the sideline that were configured differently for football and baseball, seats that could be pulled out or pushed in depending on what sport was being played. YES, those sections were "rebuilt", but not in some science-defying fashion that suspended the laws of physics.

The lower bowl DID NOT CHANGE AT ALL in its architecture. The gates (where you enter the seating areas) are still in the exact same spots. The "rise" (the elevation from the field to the entry gates into the stadium) is still exactly the same as it ever was, although there is a slight dip along the sidelines to accomodate an extra couple of rows of seating closer to the field (the angle of the elevation from field to entry gates is a bit lower because the closest couple of rows are now farther from the entry gates). The vast majority of the seats in the lower bowl (100s area endzones, 200s area club, and even some of the 100s area sidelines) have not moved an inch in 35 years. They actually REDUCED capacity on one sideline, so you actually LOST seats that were the closest to the field on the home side between the 40s.

Never in my life have I argued with somone dumb enough to argue that the removal of the Bob Uecker seats somehow improved the fan experience for everyone else. THOSE REMAINING SEATS HAVEN'T MOVED. Sit ANYWHERE in the upper deck, it is the EXACT SAME SIGHTLINE that you had in the 1980s. Exact. Nothing has changed. And I've been going to (Dolphins) games in Hard Rock since the 1980s.

Last edited:
I sound like someone who cares about my university and my Canes. You're the Karen whining about having to drive an extra 20 minutes from Broward so that the U can have facility security, sovereignty, and increased revenue to fund the AD.

I think you should show your teenager how to write a tersely worded letter to the AD so that your complaint is registered. You show em!
You realize that the bulk of local alumni and the people that write the big checks that fund the AD live outside Miami Dade, right? In other words, the people filling those pricey club seats, the people who are VIPs are the ones that will have to make that drive and that's something to keep in mind. Never mind the fact that we are trading one landlord for another, because Ruiz isn't giving that facility over to the school, not after likely spending well over a billion for it, which is the likely cost for a facility worth a ****.

If Ruiz does this thing, he has to match everything Hard Rock does well(He can't cheap out and build a mediocre facility) and unlike Hard Rock, which sits on land OWNED BY THE DOLPHINS,he is stuck working with the City and County. If the County tells him "You can build the stadium, but we don't want a ton of other stuff around it" Ruiz is stuck with it. Ruiz wants to build a UMiami "Jerryworld" the problem is that Jerry had leverage on the metroplex. He could move the franchise if he so desired, so cities around Dallas lined up to help. Jerry wasn't married to a particular location, as long as it was somewhere in the area. Different in regards to a University.

Trop is really the only place where Ruiz can build that is an upgrade in regards to being closer to campus and even then, it's going to take a lot of things going right for it to happen the way he wants. Anything is possible, but there's a huge difference between possible, probable or even likely.

Last edited:
You realize that the bulk of local alumni and the people that write the big checks that fund the AD live outside Miami Dade, right? In other words, the people filling those pricey club seats, the people who are VIPs are the ones that will have to make that drive and that's something to keep in mind. Never mind the fact that we are trading one landlord for another, because Ruiz isn't giving that facility over to the school, not after likely spending well over a billion for it, which is the likely cost for a facility worth a ****.

If Ruiz does this thing, he has to match everything Hard Rock does well(He can't cheap out and build a mediocre facility) and unlike Hard Rock, which sits on land OWNED BY THE DOLPHINS,he is stuck working with the City and County. If the County tells him "You can build the stadium, but we don't want a ton of other stuff around it" Ruiz is stuck with it. Ruiz wants to build a UMiami "Jerryworld" the problem is that Jerry had leverage on the metroplex. He could move the franchise if he so desired, so cities around Dallas lined up to help. Different in regards to a University.

Trop is really the only place where Ruiz can build that is an upgrade in regards to being closer to campus and even then, it's going to take a lot of things going right for it to happen the way he wants. Anything is possible, but there's a huge difference between possible, probable or even likely.

You are a ridiculous human being who is full of crap at the cellular level and you have a lazy eye and smell like cabbage.

You thought Mario wouldn't be able to recruit well at Miami.

"They just added a few seats down low... they did not touch the upper deck"

5qOC1gP.jpg

nkpdznl.jpg

CDZzkiEUgAASFCj.jpg:large

Im in construction and followed this reno every day on skyscrapercity.. a site for construction nerds around the world to follow any major project.

Last game of phase 1 season (no roof)

CXgFdVAWAAAuukU.jpg

Advertisement
Back