2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

The problem with ratings services is they're all journalism majors and writers who have never played the game. They think they know what they're looking at because they have written on the subject for years. A guy like Ivins (who i personally liked when he was at Inside) has never played and was a journalism major. I don't care that he has been a writer for 15 years on the subject he has been promoted to a position he is unqualified for. The only person at 247 who was head of talent evaluation and actually played the sport was Barton Simmons. He played in the Ivy league, but at least he played.
Agreed that many probably never played the game, but may be a reaching saying they were all journalism majors. Many can't piece a sentence together, mangle grammar and struggle spelling CAT.

Advertisement
Miami fans make jokes about how our guys are always underrated in rankings. It’s complete bull**** actually if you go back and revisit. We’ve been overrated for decades in the rankings.

How many two star or unranked nobodies did our coaches pretend they “discovered” that suddenly got a bump into 3 star territory? Happened ALL the time

Clearly by our record, our recruits haven't been underrated at all.

Having said that, there's some middle ground to be found in an answer. We've managed to hire coach after coach who does very little or nothing at all with the talent they do get.

I've always said it can't be all the players faults, we get beat by teams that don't even recruit in the same stratosphere. Like you said though, every year we get unknowns that get ratings bumps.

Advertisement
Nickel is a good QB. But what QB on earth would wanna go from FSU to UF? They must be nuts. Langway is there for now, and their coach cannot survive the year with how many games they will lose. That’s wild.

Advertisement
Laughable on the part of 247. Has the junior year he had, performs as he did in the elite 11 and they move him one point. Ratings mean nothing, but that’s an absolute joke.
You guys just refuse to pay attention no matter how many times y'all been told rankings in high school are bought. It's all about the right camps and payola. This kind ain't doing none of that.

Surprised it took this long. Maybe @Lance Roffers can tell us if height really does matter that much at the collegiate and pro level? Average NFL QB is 6'3", correct? Nickel is listed at 6'2", is he really only 6' or 6'1"? How big of a deviation is he?

Anyway, higher NIL for Nickel, good for him. Always like the take, so all this does is validate our evals.

One other related question: Was he a Gattass, Ponce or Dawson recruit?

Surprised it took this long. Maybe @Lance Roffers can tell us if height really does matter that much at the collegiate and pro level? Average NFL QB is 6'3", correct? Nickel is listed at 6'2", is he really only 6' or 6'1"? How big of a deviation is he?

Anyway, higher NIL for Nickel, good for him. Always like the take, so all this does is validate our evals.

One other related question: Was he a Gattass, Ponce or Dawson recruit?
Dawson recruit. Emory was ponce

Height doesn’t scare me, it only does if they struggle with seeing and throwing over the middle..The shorter qbs like brees, bryce young, tua all excel throwing over the middle because they understand the windows and angles. Other ones like russ and kyler dont and that hurts their overall game

Advertisement
Advertisement
Most of us don't approve of the rating systems but lately they've been more accurate than not...

Except when it relates to QB, LB and usually OL.

Evaluating RB's, WR's, DL and DB's isn't as much of a science as evaluating QB, LB and OL.

Give me all the blue chip skill guys... but I'm gonna have to trust my OC when it comes to QB evaluations. (over trusting a recruiting service)

Advertisement
Back