2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

Advertisement
Laughable on the part of 247. Has the junior year he had, performs as he did in the elite 11 and they move him one point. Ratings mean nothing, but that’s an absolute joke.
This is the problem with ratings services as I don’t think they ever watch kids play actual games.

Putting aside the Elite 11, Nickel was the best player on his team in every game last season on the way to his tream winning the 7A championship in Georgia. But that means little to nothing to ratings services compared to throwing at a camp with no defense

This is the problem with ratings services as I don’t think they ever watch kids play actual games.

Putting aside the Elite 11, Nickel was the best player on his team in every game last season on the way to his tream winning the 7A championship in Georgia. But that means little to nothing to ratings services compared to throwing at a camp with no defense
The problem with ratings services is they're all journalism majors and writers who have never played the game. They think they know what they're looking at because they have written on the subject for years. A guy like Ivins (who i personally liked when he was at Inside) has never played and was a journalism major. I don't care that he has been a writer for 15 years on the subject he has been promoted to a position he is unqualified for. The only person at 247 who was head of talent evaluation and actually played the sport was Barton Simmons. He played in the Ivy league, but at least he played.

The problem with ratings services is they're all journalism majors and writers who have never played the game. They think they know what they're looking at because they have written on the subject for years. A guy like Ivins (who i personally liked when he was at Inside) has never played and was a journalism major. I don't care that he has been a writer for 15 years on the subject he has been promoted to a position he is unqualified for. The only person at 247 who was head of talent evaluation and actually played the sport was Barton Simmons. He played in the Ivy league, but at least he played.
Which, I would argue, results in the ratings services being overly dependent on college coaches and scholarship offers as the basis for their ratings as they don’t have the eyes and experience to make the decisions themselves. Even with Nickel, his rating went up, albeit by 1 point, because of Elite 11, which means the decision was based on someone’s evaluation other than the person who raised his rating.

I would love to do an experiment with a fictional player to see if we could get him rated based solely on the report of interest and offers from schools. Or take an actual 1 or 2 star, create a fictional story about how he grew 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier, add in a lot of “offers” to the story, I can almost guarantee that his rating would increase, sight unseen, based solely on those items.

I believe ratings are more accurate in basketball because AAU allows services to compare top talent against top talent in a manner that 7 on 7 and football camps simply cannot simulate. We watch 1 on 1 reps at camps but even they are so far removed from an actual game situation.

Advertisement
Which, I would argue, results in the ratings services being overly dependent on college coaches and scholarship offers as the basis for their ratings as they don’t have the eyes and experience to make the decisions themselves. Even with Nickel, his rating went up, albeit by 1 point, because of Elite 11, which means the decision was based on someone’s evaluation other than the person who raised his rating.

I would love to do an experiment with a fictional player to see if we could get him rated based solely on the report of interest and offers from schools. Or take an actual 1 or 2 star, create a fictional story about how he grew 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier, add in a lot of “offers” to the story, I can almost guarantee that his rating would increase, sight unseen, based solely on those items.

I believe ratings are more accurate in basketball because AAU allows services to compare top talent against top talent in a manner that 7 on 7 and football camps simply cannot simulate. We watch 1 on 1 reps at camps but even they are so far removed from an actual game situation.
I think that has actually happened before lol just a few years back

This HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. A FEW TIMES ACTUALLY.

The ratings are based off of "offer list" the offer list hold pub based off the subscriptions from those schools bases or hype.

This is how Coker classes were so highly pubbed when we won the chip and guys were severly overrated based on a MIAMI Offer as well.

A kid could be a middle of the road 3 star ....do absolutely nothing for a few weeks no camps nothing...get an Texas or BAMA offer and he is a 4 star in 2 weeks.

Advertisement
The only positive result from an increase in Nickel's ratings is it increases our class average. Meanwhile, the negative is it could create an expectation of higher NIL payouts. Net/net, I don't really care. If Dawson wants him, then he's our guy. And to my amateur eyes, his highlights look excellent, so I'm very happy he's in this class.

I think you nailed the first and third paragraphs very well

I would very much want to see the second play out. I think it actually has in the past where the rating services were duped by some fake account committing to a big time school and all of the sudden the rating services gave the kid an 88 and said they need to evaluate further. I swear that happened once or twice in the last 10 years.

This is an absolutely insane thread

Nickel is gonna have a huge season. If he vaulted to #1 in the rankings he’s still gonna be a Cane

He will be a solid 4 star when all is said and done, he’s already taken care of all of this with the team. He’s not gonna just suddenly say hey I got a boost in rankings gimme more money. He’s not gonna suddenly go oh wow UGA called I’m gonna flip

@Geddy Lee clean this thread up please

This HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. A FEW TIMES ACTUALLY.

The ratings are based off of "offer list" the offer list hold pub based off the subscriptions from those schools bases or hype.

This is how Coker classes were so highly pubbed when we won the chip and guys were severly overrated based on a MIAMI Offer as well.

A kid could be a middle of the road 3 star ....do absolutely nothing for a few weeks no camps nothing...get a Texas or BAMA offer and he is a 4 star in 2 weeks.
Miami fans make jokes about how our guys are always underrated in rankings. It’s complete bull**** actually if you go back and revisit. We’ve been overrated for decades in the rankings.

How many two star or unranked nobodies did our coaches pretend they “discovered” that suddenly got a bump into 3 star territory? Happened ALL the time

Advertisement
This is an absolutely insane thread

Nickel is gonna have a huge season. If he vaulted to #1 in the rankings he’s still gonna be a Cane

He will be a solid 4 star when all is said and done, he’s already taken care of all of this with the team. He’s not gonna just suddenly say hey I got a boost in rankings gimme more money. He’s not gonna suddenly go oh wow UGA called I’m gonna flip

@Geddy Lee clean this thread up please
Alright who do I need to take out with my 7 iron?

Didn’t someone do that a few years ago and the kid ended up a 4 or 5 * before it was found out he was a fictional character.

I am probably mistaken cause that what us old people do,we imagine things…but I swear I remember seeing this but I see ghosts in my house so there’s that..

Advertisement
Miami fans make jokes about how our guys are always underrated in rankings. It’s complete bull**** actually if you go back and revisit. We’ve been overrated for decades in the rankings.

How many two star or unranked nobodies did our coaches pretend they “discovered” that suddenly got a bump into 3 star territory? Happened ALL the time

Yeah we’ve been in this weird space where our ratio looks ok, class looks ok, but a majority were actually middle of the road/JAG players who artificially looked better on paper because of the Miami commitment. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely think we also get a bump down a lot of times if say a kid committed to BAMA drops them and flips to use because our offer doesn’t hold the same weight. Never ending cycle of decently rated JAGs.

We got Miami fans in here hoping he doesn’t climb the rankings too high because it will attract too much attention from big schools

I say just quarantine the whole thing and pray for the innocent bystanders
Lol **** that screams pus*y as* fans. You got any names? I don’t feel like going through this thread.

Massive jump in today’s rankings, all the way from an 88 3 star to an 89 3 star.
That’s a big F-You from Ivins and them to us. The kid has proven to be elite at every turn yet they have him as the 22nd ranked QB. **** 247

I could additionally imagine if these rating services have relationships with certain programs they are easily influenced

Advertisement
Back