Notice of Allegations *update*

View as article
Last season I believe we played at 80, no? Or at least tried to..I'm pretty sure.

JC

It was 79/80

I looked at the roster on this site, and counted 81 guys (I think that is right). In addition, I think V. Davis was in fall camp for a few days. If so, he would have received room and board (athletic financial aid) and would also count against the 85 as well as the 25. So I think 82 guys counted against the 85.

thanks Ace

Advertisement
Last season I believe we played at 80, no? Or at least tried to..I'm pretty sure.

JC

It was 79/80

I looked at the roster on this site, and counted 81 guys (I think that is right). In addition, I think V. Davis was in fall camp for a few days. If so, he would have received room and board (athletic financial aid) and would also count against the 85 as well as the 25. So I think 82 guys counted against the 85.

thanks Ace

So can we count the 3 last year against any impending sanctions? I have never heard of another school doing that before.

JC

It was 79/80

thanks Ace

So can we count the 3 last year against any impending sanctions? I have never heard of another school doing that before.

Where did you get that from the above?

Also we were at 80 or 79 last year. I don't know where 82 came from. I know ACE is really good at this stuff but not sure where the 82 number came from or why it is relevant since we ended at about 79 ships.

We could have been at 70 scholarships last year, and it wouldn't factor into our future scholarship reductions.

It was 79/80

thanks Ace

Also we were at 80 or 79 last year. I don't know where 82 came from. I know ACE is really good at this stuff but not sure where the 82 number came from or why it is relevant since we ended at about 79 ships.
If Ace says we were at 82 based on oface's eligibility chart, then we were at 82. Unless his chart was wrong but I don't think it was.

Advertisement
We could have been at 70 scholarships last year, and it wouldn't factor into our future scholarship reductions.

It might if we intentionally were under the 85 limit for the sake of using them toward whatever the total that will be taken from us. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete from Golden that that was why we weren't at 85.

It might if we intentionally were under the 85 limit for the sake of using them toward whatever the total that will be taken from us. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete from Golden that that was why we weren't at 85.

I don't think that's how it works, Dan, especially when we signed about 33 guys last year. Clearly, there was no attempt to self-impose against the 25 limit even if somehow we wound up under the 85 total.

thanks Ace

If Ace says we were at 82 based on oface's eligibility chart, then we were at 82. Unless his chart was wrong but I don't think it was.

What chart, do we have one on this site?

Advertisement
I think the number was 79/80 this year (includes Thompson's football scholarship).

I don't like Bakas's site but this is all I can find. I don't think Swasey was on a football scholarship (something else because his dad was an employee for a long time).

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=9&c=16&yr=2012

We are currently at 68, plus the EEs who enroll today.As soon as they register they count!

I think the number was 79/80 this year (includes Thompson's football scholarship).

I don't like Bakas's site but this is all I can find. I don't think Swasey was on a football scholarship (something else because his dad was an employee for a long time).

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=9&c=16&yr=2012

We are currently at 68, plus the EEs who enroll today.As soon as they register they count!

What is with the bold font? We're talking about numbers from last year as well.

Not true...

Miami has been working closely with the NCAA. The NCAA was told about the self imposed roster reduction and they will count it towards the final punishment. Golden is gonna Golden...

Not true...

Miami has been working closely with the NCAA. The NCAA was told about the self imposed roster reduction and they will count it towards the final punishment. Golden is gonna Golden...

You speak with tremendous authority on the scholarship reduction aspect. Do you know with certainty that what you are saying is a fact because, admittedly, I'm not 100% certain on what I said? My comment was based on my own reading of the situation.

Advertisement

Not true...

You speak with tremendous authority on the scholarship reduction aspect. Do you know with certainty that what you are saying is a fact because, admittedly, I'm not 100% certain on what I said? My comment was based on my own reading of the situation.

I think you both make good points. From what I've read The Franchise makes sense because they impose not to the total 85 you can have, but to the amount you can sign each class. So if we get docked 10 per year, that doesn't bring us down to 55 total by the end of 3 years. It means we can sign only 15 per year instead of 25.

It is complicated though, so there may be something to the other side of the argument. And I'm sure Golden isn't flying completely blind.

not much escapes Al Golden....

dude has a master plan for life, much less football...

dude is a G

that's why he stated on the radio the other day that it will be a relief in regards to the criminally inept NCAA shakedown/investigation... because he has a plan in place already...

It might if we intentionally were under the 85 limit for the sake of using them toward whatever the total that wi0ll be taken from us. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete from Golden that that was why we weren't at 85.

I don't think that's how it works, Dan, especially when we signed about 33 guys last year. Clearly, there was no attempt to self-impose against the 25 limit even if somehow we wound up under the 85 total.

I didn't think it worked that way either, but Golden has mentioned possibly imposing a scholarship reduction on our own, so that's where my question originated from.

Advertisement

It might if we intentionally were under the 85 limit for the sake of using them toward whatever the total that wi0ll be taken from us. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete from Golden that that was why we weren't at 85.

I didn't think it worked that way either, but Golden has mentioned possibly imposing a scholarship reduction on our own, so that's where my question originated from.

I never saw where Al specifically mentioned reducing scholarships. I do remember seeing him make a quick reaction to a reporter's leading question on the subject though. He said something like "yeah" in response to a reporter axing him if we were signing 15 this year in anticipation of reductions.

Seems like we're not signing 15 this year though. Looks more like about 20, so I doubt that they're doing anything to reduce scholarships voluntarily, and I'm almost certain that us being under the 85 limit last year will have no bearing whatsoever on reducing our scholarship penalty from the NCAA.

Not true...

I think you both make good points. From what I've read The Franchise makes sense because they impose not to the total 85 you can have, but to the amount you can sign each class. So if we get docked 10 per year, that doesn't bring us down to 55 total by the end of 3 years. It means we can sign only 15 per year instead of 25.

It is complicated though, so there may be something to the other side of the argument. And I'm sure Golden isn't flying completely blind.

there are limits placed on both the 85 man cap and the 25 per year USUALLY. OSU though for example did not have a limit put on the 25 man cap. they really got off easy. sign and cut

we most likely can apply one year of playing under 85 to that piece of the sanctions. i would imagine that this year's recruiting class (since it will be around 20 or less) will apply to one year of the 25 man limit as well.

in short we will already be 1 year deep into the sanctions i would bet

Advertisement
Back