Mario about to Lock Down the portal too (new hire)

Mario on top of the IPF.

Post of the Day. LOL.

Advertisement
Cowherd went on his show today & said he wants Mario to come on tomorrow if he’s up to it. He had Lincoln on today, but he said “I know we’re in SB Week, but I just love what Miami & USC r doing. I’m so giddy.”
Cowherd knows having Miami and USC back in the picture is good for college media and college football in general. I dont care what anyone says..Watching a variation of Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson and a team that randomly makes it but shouldnt be there (like Cincinatti or Michigan state that one year)..is not good for college and is absolutely boring. Those CFP playoff semifinal games this year were a disgrace to the sport..Time to shake things up. And we are here to do that and looks like USC is too!

Advertisement
Cowherd knows having Miami and USC back in the picture is good for college media and college football in general. I dont care what anyone says..Watching a variation of Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson and a team that randomly makes it but shouldnt be there (like Cincinatti or Michigan state that one year)..is not good for college and is absolutely boring. Those CFP playoff semifinal games this year were a disgrace to the sport..Time to shake things up. And we are here to do that and looks like USC is too!
a yearly top 4 of miami, usc, some random big 10 team, bama/uga
that would get the excitment going and having fans across the country tuned in
so far the playoffs have been the alabama invitational

Advertisement
Part of the fatigue isn't just team names but talent. If fans perceive it's a mismatch, talent-wise, they might lose interest quicker. USC will no doubt be better, but expecting Riley to be something at USC he wasn't at Oklahoma is a stretch.

It's hard to believe that a lot of playoff fatigue isn't because of the 4 team format. Unless you are a fan of one of those teams you are going to be a lot less invested than otherwise.

Advertisement
Not a fan of Nebraska but it would be nice to see them in the mix again but the way they are now, man......smh.

Part of the fatigue isn't just team names but talent. If fans perceive it's a mismatch, talent-wise, they might lose interest quicker. USC will no doubt be better, but expecting Riley to be something at USC he wasn't at Oklahoma is a stretch.

It's hard to believe that a lot of playoff fatigue isn't because of the 4 team format. Unless you are a fan of one of those teams you are going to be a lot less invested than otherwise.
To a degree we all want to see more qualified teams and changing faces compete in the Playoff 4. I have a strange feeling the deeper NIL pocket teams will be the ones we see more frequently.

To a degree we all want to see more qualified teams and changing faces compete in the Playoff 4. I have a strange feeling the deeper NIL pocket teams will be the ones we see more frequently.

Not necessarily the ACC and a few others. I can't believe the stonewalling and downright politicking going on when those who need it most are refusing to play the game. I certainly agree that NILs and the magic portal are changing the dynamics and I guess only time tells that story as far as college football having more parity. But right now it feels like fans and coaches are getting overwhelmed by the law of unintended consequences.

Some college teams are obviously outright recruiting high school players through NIL. That's a stipulated no-no. Until cooler heads and smarter minds straighten this out with some universal bylaws, that we all can live with, it continues to be the biggest problem in the game.

Advertisement

There is nothing going on in the Pac-12 right now except Oregon and USC and once Riley locks down California recruiting its pretty much curtains for Oregon. So they should be the perennial favorite to rep the Pac-12 in the playoff every year. Thank god because finally we will rid ourselves of 2 SEC teams making it every year. Make the SEC work hard at going undefeated and earning a spot and not resting on the "Well, we went undefeated in the regular season, so even if we lose in the SEC title game, we will still get the 4th spot because we are the SEC" BS. Tired of that.

Teams are starting to put coaches and staff in a position to monitor the magic portal year-round. It's such a powerful tool. It has the ability to totally erase recruiting mistakes, injuries, and change the dynamics of a bad college football team in an instant if you know talent.

But you have to know your business. An article I read before the season stated that of all the FBS players who entered the portal only 37.8% stayed on the FBS level. That would strongly suggest to me that coaches are using the transfer portal to encourage kids who aren't able to compete at that level to move on rather than players just being disgruntled.
For the most part, I think players are hitting the Portal because of lack of playing time or how they're being utilized on the field (ala Tyrique Stevenson). I believe there is a low percentage remaining at the FBS level because of playing time and there simply isn't room on rosters because of the extra year of eligibility given by the NCAA.

Parrish transferred into UM for what could be a crowded backfield. This is the exception and not the norm. Unless a transfer is going to be on the 2-deep rotation, he's not likely coming. I see plenty of posts suggesting hitting the portal for guys just to fill depth. Most of these young men are stuck down the depth chart at their current school. They are not transferring to another school just to ride the bench at the new school. This is why so many are going to the FCS level. They become instant starters and can still pursue their dream of playing in the NFL or simply having the satisfaction of playing in games rather than just watching from the sidelines.

I think the new normal for college football are rosters with 2-deep in the rotation and incoming freshman who a majority will redshirt or play special teams. Those not in the 2-deep by year 3 are going to transfer out to somewhere they can play. Some may be encouraged to transfer because they won't make the 2-deep and their scholarship is needed elsewhere. This is primarily due to the NCAA allowing an extra year of eligibility because of the Pandemic, but not increasing the scholarship limit. That is a complete epic failure by the NCAA. This is why some are being pushed out and some in high school will not get a scholarship at the FBS level. Once the Covid freshmen have graduated, the numbers will return to normal and there should be fewer players in the portal than there are today.

Advertisement
Back