MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just not sure how we blame our coaches if he decides to go to Maryland or if we don't have a backup plan as good. Brown has been on him for years and has not backed off. He's made him his top priority and didn't stop recruiting just because we had his silent commitment. The reality is that no matter how hard you recruit someone, how much time you spend, how great the relationship is, the decision belongs to the recruit. Brown did everything he could other than sign the LOI to become a 'Cane. What else did you want Brown to do?

As for backup plans, let's not forget that we do have Burns committed, so it's not that we don't have another RB. If we only had space for 2 RBs, and we had both guys telling us that they were committed to us, what else should we have done? Told McFarland that if he didn't make his commitment public, we were going to move on? Really? Brown and Richt built a relationship with him and his family and he told our coaches he was coming. We had no indication he wasn't coming until 2 days ago. Do people think there are 4 and 5* running backs just lined up trying to get in our class in the event there is an opening? It wasn't realistic to have a backup plan on the same level as McFarland, ready to take his place, when we had no idea it was a risk he may not come.

There are obviously times where we didn't do enough, or times where we should have had a backup plan because of uncertainty, but the reality is, sometimes you just get screwed because you are counting on someone to keep his word and he changes his mind at the last minute, preventing a legit backup plan. If we lose McFarland, it's not because we didn't do enough, and if we don't have a great plan B, it's not because our coaches blew it. This would be an instance of getting unexpectedly screwed at the last minute on a decision that really doesn't make much sense.

Great Post

Advertisement
Fact: He wasn't going to take Walton's job. Rick loves Walton. So, at best, he'll get 10 carries per game in 2017.

At worst, he doesn't beat out Homer and is 3rd. You saw what the 3rd back got this year--a set of steak knives.

McFarland is a big talent and would be the guy or the backup in 2018. But guess what? We can sign a better RB in 2018. This ain't Maryland where we're going to live or die over McFarland. There will be a better guy next year for us.

that's my thought process too but injuries scare the crap out of me and we get bit by that bug often.

Deejay Dallas would slide on in and thats if Walton, Homer, and Burns go down. Unlikely 3 guys go down in the season.
Then theres Henderson. He's raw, but if theres one position it doesn't matter how raw you are its RB. Kid played RB in HS and is fast as ****.

We would be fine this season without him. But would absolutely need to land Lingard next year.

You know who loses the most if he chooses Maryland? He does, about 6-8 times a year. He'll also likely hurt his draft potential playing for a 2nd rate program against a lot of 1st rate competition in the Big 10. The fact that he's even considering this makes you really question his judgement.

Fact: He wasn't going to take Walton's job. Rick loves Walton. So, at best, he'll get 10 carries per game in 2017.

At worst, he doesn't beat out Homer and is 3rd. You saw what the 3rd back got this year--a set of steak knives.

McFarland is a big talent and would be the guy or the backup in 2018. But guess what? We can sign a better RB in 2018. This ain't Maryland where we're going to live or die over McFarland. There will be a better guy next year for us.

that's my thought process too but injuries scare the crap out of me and we get bit by that bug often.

That's my main concerns injury. How many teams have we seen operating with the 3rd or 4th string RB-- Plenty. What happens if Walton and Homer go down? Who do we have-- a kid who played 10 downs at Gulliver over a 3 year period. Use your smarts. This is a very real possibility. If this kid goes with Maryland that he really frucked us, no doubt to sugar coat this crap.

Advertisement

If he's dumb enough to willingly choose Maryland there's no way he'd pick up the playbook within 18 months.

Underrated post....but irrelevant cause he comin.

Sleep well gentlemen, the ****** starts tomorrow

Looks like we are evaluating AJ DAVIS from Lakeland... McFarland gone

I think he goes to sleep a Terp, but wakes up a Cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I've had a good while to relax and I'm to the point where one way or the other, the suspense will be over tomorrow by noon.

We will finally be able to move forward.

Guaranteed that Kevin Plank cut Pops a check at the 11th hour. Kid bleeds orange and green, Pops bleeds just plain green, Pops wins. That's how this **** works.

Some of you need to take a break from this site. Getting way too emotional.

Exactly . Some of yall newbs need to take a break til mid day tomorrow and when he commits to UM yall can feel like dumbasses. And anyway you dont freak out about losing the guy who at best would be your 3rd stringer next season , you just dont especially when there is a special player like Burns locked up. But he will be a cane most likely so that is a moot point.

Advertisement
If Mac doesn't come here its his loss. They will never make it out of the B1G East with Michigan, Ohio Taint, & PSU. Bad business decision on his part, hope he makes the rational choice.

Advertisement
Friends, one of you has got to change the avi.

IMG_3886.webp

they would be dumb to not be evaluating another back now that everyone knows mcfarland is wavering. it doesn't mean he's gone just that they're lining up a back up plan if they need one which is... what they're supposed to do

This was unexpected by the canes coaches imo, cant really blame brown for this guilt trip bullsh*t Maryland pulled at the night before his announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back