MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
how the **** is this on Brown? Brown did his job and did his end...Mcfarland was picking Miami on Wednesday. Sounds like the Maryland staff blindsided him intimidating and guilt tripping.

End of the day it is the kids choice and we had it in the bag, now we have a good shot. We will see. PLUS this is against him home team who has his coach and other players from Dematha. It ain't like the kid is in Miami and we battling to keep a 305 recruit, or him another state and its between us and another OOS school.

Advertisement
So....yet again, Ivins uses a shītload of words to say absolutely NOTHING.

One sentence he says that he's favored to pick Maryland now.

In another sentence he says he still has him crystal balled to Miami, but that could change.

And finally he admits he has no idea, he doesn't know. How about starting with that sentence first. The rest is just extraneous bullshīt meant to make people think that he's providing content.

Classic Ivings. Plays both sides and the rubes call him connected when one of the sides eventually happens.

Disappointing if he picks Maryland. Hard to decide whether to blame the coaches or not here. Always should be a backup plan but this kid was all-Miami until the very end. Normally I hate the bags talk 90% of the time, but this feels like the other 10%.

If Mcfarland picks Maryland it will definitely be on Brown. I mean he was paid well to be an ACE recruiter esp at the RB position. He provides little as an OC, as seen by our offensive performance this season, so the least of his job should be lock down recruiter.

didnt we do this with Rumph earlier?

Yes and its always good to keep these coaches on their heels just like they do at all the big time schools. You think Bama, FSU, OSU, ect. are giving coaches a break for not recruiting well?

every report out there says he was picking Miami on wednesday and he went back to do an in home last night, as well. well see around 11 where this kid ends up, but i cant blame Brown for this one.

I still feel like he'll be a Cane tomorrow.

i think the same as well. unless that guilt trip was that strong after months of being solid to us, guys normally dont change their mind that quickly and easily. Pete suggested the same in his podcast.

Advertisement
On the bright side, if he is flipping it's for Maryland and not Alabama. It would suck seeing him tearing it up for the Tide but if he's at Maryland, you'll never see him on TV again. Okay yes, if you watch ESPN6 at 11:00am on Saturday you might catch a glimpse but other than that? Out of sight out of mind. Might as well have just committed to the University of Bolivian.

I'm just not sure how we blame our coaches if he decides to go to Maryland or if we don't have a backup plan as good. Brown has been on him for years and has not backed off. He's made him his top priority and didn't stop recruiting just because we had his silent commitment. The reality is that no matter how hard you recruit someone, how much time you spend, how great the relationship is, the decision belongs to the recruit. Brown did everything he could other than sign the LOI to become a 'Cane. What else did you want Brown to do?

As for backup plans, let's not forget that we do have Burns committed, so it's not that we don't have another RB. If we only had space for 2 RBs, and we had both guys telling us that they were committed to us, what else should we have done? Told McFarland that if he didn't make his commitment public, we were going to move on? Really? Brown and Richt built a relationship with him and his family and he told our coaches he was coming. We had no indication he wasn't coming until 2 days ago. Do people think there are 4 and 5* running backs just lined up trying to get in our class in the event there is an opening? It wasn't realistic to have a backup plan on the same level as McFarland, ready to take his place, when we had no idea it was a risk he may not come.

There are obviously times where we didn't do enough, or times where we should have had a backup plan because of uncertainty, but the reality is, sometimes you just get screwed because you are counting on someone to keep his word and he changes his mind at the last minute, preventing a legit backup plan. If we lose McFarland, it's not because we didn't do enough, and if we don't have a great plan B, it's not because our coaches blew it. This would be an instance of getting unexpectedly screwed at the last minute on a decision that really doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how anyone can put this on Brown. The kid was committed here for months, not his fault Maryland brought bags to the table in the eleventh hour. Recruiting has become a dirty, dirty business.

This kid ****ed us. He completely ****ed us. We stopped recruiting RBs because he was a silent commit and 4 days before NSD he suddenly changes his mind? Jesus.

Swag stop acting like a rookie. it's crootin he will spend 4 years at UMD loosing and being a middle of the pack program. We are building momentum and I know our class is better last than and it will be better next year.

This is a good post.

It's unfortunate but we will work through it.

Advertisement
His pops gave it away in the interview yesterday. "We WERE all in with Miami". Maryland worked pops. **** happens but once again it's about respect and it looks like we are getting **** on once again.

It sounds like it's Maryland at this point. You don't come out and admit that your kid was going to pick Miami publicly and then say he's going to figure things out. It means he's going to go with the other school.

That meet up at the restaurant is shady as all ****. But this kid allowed that clown staff to twist him up. I'd love to have McFarland considering they'd use him the same way that Sony was used at UGA. I'm not going to bag on the kid when Elijah Blades just did something similar to the gators.

But yeah, he essentially screwed us. Given who we're probably going to land on NSD, this one doesn't sting as bad. Just means we need to land two RB minimum next cycle.

Edit: Best believe I'm hoping Michigan and Ohio St. put that *** whooping on Maryland while McFarland is there. I'm a proud member of team petty.

Can't blame Brown for the dad accepting money to **** his son. Theres just no way bags weren't dropped.

Thank god this is at RB though. Not another position I'd rather have this happen at...maybe LB.
While a top RB prospect can change a program, like a Dalvin Cook, its also really easy to get good production out of the position.
And this isn't something that would affect us this year anyway because Walton is going to get the supermajority of the snaps and Homer looks very explosive. Just would mean next year Lingard would be more important. But I think Deejay or Henderson could fill the void if needed this yr.

IDK I still think he comes here and that they only took money to have the meeting and to give the impression they were considering them.

His pops gave it away in the interview yesterday. "We WERE all in with Miami". Maryland worked pops. **** happens but once again it's about respect and it looks like we are getting **** on once again.

What he should have said was, "I let my son think he was making his own decision about what was best for his future for as long as I could, then I put my foot down and explained that I would be making that decision for him."

Advertisement
Fact: He wasn't going to take Walton's job. Rick loves Walton. So, at best, he'll get 10 carries per game in 2017.

At worst, he doesn't beat out Homer and is 3rd. You saw what the 3rd back got this year--a set of steak knives.

McFarland is a big talent and would be the guy or the backup in 2018. But guess what? We can sign a better RB in 2018. This ain't Maryland where we're going to live or die over McFarland. There will be a better guy next year for us.

Fact: He wasn't going to take Walton's job. Rick loves Walton. So, at best, he'll get 10 carries per game in 2017.

At worst, he doesn't beat out Homer and is 3rd. You saw what the 3rd back got this year--a set of steak knives.

McFarland is a big talent and would be the guy or the backup in 2018. But guess what? We can sign a better RB in 2018. This ain't Maryland where we're going to live or die over McFarland. There will be a better guy next year for us.

Chise, you're making too much sense...go to bed!

Advertisement

Yup. All this means is we need two RBs next cycle. McFarland out of all these guys was possibly the one guy we could afford to lose without it hurting.

If he flips pops got bagged. That's got nothing to do with respect or staying home or any of that bullshyt.

Money does weird **** to people. Makes them set their sons up to get Pearl Harbored at a diner and sent somewhere he didn't really want to go.

that's my thought process too but injuries scare the crap out of me and we get bit by that bug often.

If he's dumb enough to willingly choose Maryland there's no way he'd pick up the playbook within 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back