MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough with the Walton and Homer talk.

Walton is a pretty good back but he's not a superstar back, he just doesn't have the consistent vision or elusiveness. If Homer was a superstar he would have gotten more carries last season.

McFarland has potential gamebreaker in him and we desperately need a gamechanger at the RB position. A guy teams have to gameplan for.

McFarland would be the most talented back we have signed since duke.

This. He's also bigger right now and has better long speed than Duke.

Advertisement
Walton is a superstar back.. what the heck...

dude is gone after this year.

Agreed; most draft experts have Walton as a top tier, 1st round back. Said his ability to break tackles, catch the ball, and good burst has him pegged as a 1st round pick.

Need this kid bad. I agree that these last second developments smell real bad. I'm nervous

Is it possible Gus is hanging around until a decision is made by McFarland?

Advertisement
Walton is a very very good back.

Not elite. Does not have top end gear.

McFarland can be elite. Homer has elite upside.

Agreed; most draft experts have Walton as a top tier, 1st round back. Said his ability to break tackles, catch the ball, and good burst has him pegged as a 1st round pick.

I find it hard to believe that Walton is a 1st round back, do you have any article to back that claim up? I think he is a 2nd day back and is for sure gone after next year, but I don't see him going in the 1st round.

Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that Walton is a 1st round back, do you have any article to back that claim up? I think he is a 2nd day back and is for sure gone after next year, but I don't see him going in the 1st round.

I agree, he's a great back but no where close to 1st round.

Walton is a very very good back.

Not elite. Does not have top end gear.

McFarland can be elite. Homer has elite upside.

Who cares? Walton is a great back man. What's wrong with ya'll? He was a true Soph last year and ran for 1100 yards behind a horrible OL. And don't forget he reclassified so he was only the age of a true freshman. Ya'll trippin' on Walton, he bout to blow up this year barring injury.

Advertisement
Always funny to me that when we turn up pressure on a local Miami kid that's ok, but now when it's happening to McFarland, someone's "dropping off bags" or something shady is going on. I'm sure Michigan fans are accusing Miami of doing the same thing with Herbert.

Maryland is just 10 minutes down the road from McFarland's High School. He's closer to campus than most Miami players are to Coral Gables. He has multiple HS teammates at Maryland. Lorenzo Harrison, who was a RB in the same backfield as McFarland at DeMatha, just had a monster true freshman season at Maryland.

The pressure to stay home is very real, with a ton of factors. I don't feel like McFarland is playing any type of game. He's just a genuinely confused kid making a very tough decision.

I'd predict he picks Miami in the end because of his relationship with Brown - but I'm sure he's changed his own mind about 20 times in the last 48 hrs.

Problem is UM fans attempting to draw a parallel between our program and Maryland. Maryland is a sewer. We have 5 NCs in the last 30 years. We are a proven commodity. Maryland loses all its best local players every year. UM doesn't.

You could make the same "local pressure" argument for a prospect near the Kentucky campus or near the Illinois campus. There's no real local pressure when the locals are used to losing so much and expect the local guys to leave.

I hear you - there's no question Miami is the better program.

To play devil's advocate....

Isn't this the same logic Miami is battling against Alabama for local kids? Miami hasn't won a NC in 15 years. They've been a Top 25 team twice in the last 11 seasons. Miami just won it's first Bowl game since 2006. Alabama has won 4 NC's in the last 8 years. So why would any local Miami kid choose Miami over Alabama? IMO - MD is fighting the same fight for McFarland vs. Miami that Miami fought for Jeudy vs. Alabama.

Again, Miami no doubt the better program than Maryland and better chance to win. But for the kids we're recruiting - Miami hasn't been nationally relevant since they were 6 or 7 years old.

Maryland went 2-1 vs. Miami when they were in the ACC. DJ Durkin is a new coach with a good resume and known for being a great recruiter. He got MD to a bowl game after winning 3 games the year before. Miami will definitely end with the better class, but right now Miami is #13 and MD is #18 in the recruiting rankings. They both have 7 4 star players committed. I'm sure Durkin is selling McFarland hard on them turning the corner, and he can be the headline recruit that does that.

In the end - I don't think it's a MD vs. Miami as it is MD vs. Richt/Brown. McFarland was all about Georgia when Richt/Brown was there. Miami wasn't in the picture. Then Richt/Brown came to Miami, Miami becomes the leader and Georgia totally drops off. MD looked like they weren't much of a player in his recruitment until Durkin got there. So I think his decision will be much less about the school/program/history as it is his relationship with his future coaching staff.

Walton can run, catch, pass protect and play the **** out of special teams. He's not Dalvin Cook of course, but he's **** good.

People are sleeping on Homer. I have a feeling he will be a big part of our offense next year.

Advertisement
Have U guys not seen what Walton can do in space. I mean that TD against FSU that got called back was possibly the best run I've seen ever.

I still hope we get Mac, I think we will, but I'm not crying myself to sleep considering the class we are putting together.

I agree, he's a great back but no where close to 1st round.

I remember FAU's head coach saying he was a future first rounder after we played them. He's probably 2nd or 3rd round if he builds off of last season though which is still a great slot for a RB.

He's no Zeke or Dalvin but he's a future NFL starting RB

I think Walton will be drafted in the early 3rd round of the draft. He reminds me of Knowshon Moreno.

Hopefully McFarland sticks, really like his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back