MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you end your own football career by going to Maryland? You'll never hear of this kid again if he goes there.

I really don't get it. Maryland has had one RB drafted in the last 10 years. Da'rel Scott and it was in the 7th round. The parents need to get their heads out of their asses and do what is best for their son's football career.

Advertisement
I think Mac still ends up here. Parents love Miami, he has a great relationship with Brown and Richt. Plus, anybody can see that something special is beginning to happen here.

But if we don't land him, while disappointing, it's fine. We still have Walton, Burns and Homer and we have a solid shot at Lingard in 18.
Two RBs on the roster is not 'fine'. Until Burns walks again he's not even considered a player here.

Agree with this. I'm surprised we don't have a 3rd right now even with Burns and McFarland. I mean, I LOVE Walton and Homer but it's RB. Injuries are highly probable. Plus, Burns is a proven injury concern. If we miss on McFarland, we got probs. I'm not counting on much from Choc...but I hope I'm wrong there.

It's crazy to think how selfish these adults are. He literally ends his football career by going to Maryland. Running behind their **** line vs Big 10 defenses is a very bad formula. Plus Maryland gets ZERO national exposure. Dumb move all around.
I can understand the Maryland staph, it's their job. But his parents should say, bruh, c'mon now. Richt, Thomas, and Miami get RBs in the league and paid.

I think Mac still ends up here. Parents love Miami, he has a great relationship with Brown and Richt. Plus, anybody can see that something special is beginning to happen here.

But if we don't land him, while disappointing, it's fine. We still have Walton, Burns and Homer and we have a solid shot at Lingard in 18.
Two RBs on the roster is not 'fine'. Until Burns walks again he's not even considered a player here.

We'd pick up a transfer. It's FINE.

Always funny to me that when we turn up pressure on a local Miami kid that's ok, but now when it's happening to McFarland, someone's "dropping off bags" or something shady is going on. I'm sure Michigan fans are accusing Miami of doing the same thing with Herbert.

Maryland is just 10 minutes down the road from McFarland's High School. He's closer to campus than most Miami players are to Coral Gables. He has multiple HS teammates at Maryland. Lorenzo Harrison, who was a RB in the same backfield as McFarland at DeMatha, just had a monster true freshman season at Maryland.

The pressure to stay home is very real, with a ton of factors. I don't feel like McFarland is playing any type of game. He's just a genuinely confused kid making a very tough decision.

I'd predict he picks Miami in the end because of his relationship with Brown - but I'm sure he's changed his own mind about 20 times in the last 48 hrs.

Advertisement

Ridiculous. Yeah, there are a ton of transfer RBs out there with the talent of McFarland...whatever.

We have more QBs on the roster right now than RBs, and that is just crazy.

Yeah man let's just rely on pulling a transfer out of our ***.

Always funny to me that when we turn up pressure on a local Miami kid that's ok, but now when it's happening to McFarland, someone's "dropping off bags" or something shady is going on. I'm sure Michigan fans are accusing Miami of doing the same thing with Herbert.

Maryland is just 10 minutes down the road from McFarland's High School. He's closer to campus than most Miami players are to Coral Gables. He has multiple HS teammates at Maryland. Lorenzo Harrison, who was a RB in the same backfield as McFarland at DeMatha, just had a monster true freshman season at Maryland.

The pressure to stay home is very real, with a ton of factors. I don't feel like McFarland is playing any type of game. He's just a genuinely confused kid making a very tough decision.

I'd predict he picks Miami in the end because of his relationship with Brown - but I'm sure he's changed his own mind about 20 times in the last 48 hrs.

We're Miami, they're Maryland. That's the difference.

Advertisement

Ridiculous. Yeah, there are a ton of transfer RBs out there with the talent of McFarland...whatever.

Did I say that a transfer would be as good as Mac? No. It would be a depth piece. But no no, you guys keep crying about McFarland who may still be coming. I'll go enjoy the rest of our class while this plays out. Crootin newbs, I swear.

I can't see how this kid can have a phone conversation with Ray Lewis, a living legend in both Miami and Baltimore - and ultimately decide going to Maryland for college is in his best interest. Similarly, I didn't see how Harley - with Irvin in his ear - could end up turning down Miami for WVU of all places. And we see how that is playing out now.

Alternate theory based on no evidence of wrongdoing: UA dropped a big bag to get that last minute Pearl Harbor attack on Anthony. As a sign of gratitude the old man is making it appear to be a 50/50 deal now when it isn't.

Still hopeful that this kid realizes he really wants to play at Miami for Richt and Brown and sticks with his original plan to commit

Advertisement
Would love to get McFarland but he is a rb. We have 4 right now and will be fine if we don't get him. That said I still really want him in the class always want top kids no matter the position.

Ridiculous. Our RB depth chart is beyond thin. Who are your four backs? Walton is the only one with meaningful carries and he's gone after next year. Homer has only played Special Teams -- we have no idea how he'll perform as a RB. I don't even count Burns, who may never be healthy.

McFarland IMO is the most important player left on our wishlist.

The whole scenario, as described, from his parents luring him to an ambush dinner, to the sudden change of heart about a supposedly rock-solid commitment is very troubling.

I do get the sense that there was a concerted effort by the parents, in collusion with the Maryland coaches, and even his high school coaches, to postpone his announcement and give him the time needed to change his mind.

I don't have any inside info, obviously, but this sure does seem like a kid who is being manipulated by a bunch of adults working in tandem to try to get him to stay in MD. I definitely get the sense that the parents now want him to stay.

I also believe that he is the only one left of that group that still sees Miami as where he wants to go.

Hopefully, Brown was able to bring him back in.

Just guessing here, but this stinks badly to me.

Last edited:

Problem is UM fans attempting to draw a parallel between our program and Maryland. Maryland is a sewer. We have 5 NCs in the last 30 years. We are a proven commodity. Maryland loses all its best local players every year. UM doesn't.

You could make the same "local pressure" argument for a prospect near the Kentucky campus or near the Illinois campus. There's no real local pressure when the locals are used to losing so much and expect the local guys to leave.

Advertisement
Looking over the 15 year history of RBs coming out of the state of Maryland...

meh.

I hope McFarland becomes a better player than say Wendall Smallwood or Ben Tate.

Again, I really do think that the push back was only a formality.

I'm really not worried and I don't understand why you guys are freaking out.

Think about it. This kid wasn't even wrestling with this decision for many months. I just think he felt bad that they were so desperate and pushed it back, kind of like a beautiful woman giving a lame dude her number knowing she isn't going to actually talk to him.

Did I say that a transfer would be as good as Mac? No. It would be a depth piece. But no no, you guys keep crying about McFarland who may still be coming. I'll go enjoy the rest of our class while this plays out. Crootin newbs, I swear.

"Crootin newbs". What a joke. I started at UM in 1986, I've been through this for decades. I've also seen plenty of times when coaches have put all their eggs in one recruiting basket and come up empty.

I simply took issue with your delusional, and capitalized "It's FINE." No, it's not "FINE". It would be a major loss at a key position, particularly when trying to work in a new QB. Only a year ago, we were facing the possible loss of Walton due to a criminal investigation. At least last year, we could turn to Yearby and Edwards.

This year, if Walton blows out a knee during practice, we would have to turn to Homer (has not yet played or proven anything), Burns (seemingly always injured) and Gray (seemingly always injured).

That situation does NOT become "FINE" with a grad-transfer RB, particularly when you look at who is on the market.

It doesn't matter if YOU say McFarland or a grad-transfer would be a "depth piece", if Walton goes down, that player might just be the next man up.

Football newbs. It's amazing how much they choose to ignore the injury factor.

Would love to get McFarland but he is a rb. We have 4 right now and will be fine if we don't get him. That said I still really want him in the class always want top kids no matter the position.

Ridiculous. Our RB depth chart is beyond thin. Who are your four backs? Walton is the only one with meaningful carries and he's gone after next year. Homer has only played Special Teams -- we have no idea how he'll perform as a RB. I don't even count Burns, who may never be healthy.

McFarland IMO is the most important player left on our wishlist.

So we've given up on Trayone Gray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back