LANCE GUIDRY

We knew the secondary was weak AF going into season. We hoped that dline and lbs covered it up. The unexpected is that we are not as dominant up front as we thought we were. We just need a solid back end and we will be fine. We need to portal it ST and keep building LT.

Advertisement
SUCKS!!!!!! This defense is historically awful and he refuses to make adjustments.
Does he tackle or make our players faster??? C’mon enough on the hate we have what we have. Players need to take responsibility for missed tackles and bad reads. Nothing he can do

We knew the secondary was weak AF going into season. We hoped that dline and lbs covered it up. The unexpected is that we are not as dominant up front as we thought we were. We just need a solid back end and we will be fine. We need to portal it ST and keep building LT.
Talent is certainly an issue, but the coaching on D is the main problem. This is a horribly coached unit. The coaches are doing nothing to elevate the talent we have on defense.

Talent is certainly an issue, but the coaching on D is the main problem. This is a horribly coached unit. The coaches are doing nothing to elevate the talent we have on defense.
Yeah that is above my pay grade. I leave the scheme to you experts. I knew I hated donofrios d and Manny got gashed against anybody with a pulse. Seems we are getting gashed by some without a pulse. I don't put Louisville in that category but I do put cal and VTech there. All I know is I'm having fun knowing we can go toe to toe on offense with anyone.

Advertisement
Idk. Maybe just go with speed on D. Get the washington bros and Patterson in there. At least try some fresh blood. Cant be much worse, so could possibly only get better.
Preach!!! Give someone an opportunity. How many times can you let them same guys beat you and expect different results? Patterson made a couple nice plays yesterday. Give your 5 star a chance.

Has Lightfoot played at all? I know he was skinny coming in, but didnt he kill it in the spring game? I know 44 has been getting quite a bit of PT.

If I was Mario, I would give Guidry one more season after this one to prove that he can create a playoff level defense. He will presumably have much more back end talent next season, albeit as young players. If we are this bad next season then I think we have to move on.

This feels like the Bill MIller days before Butch hired Schiano and UM finally had a championship caliber defense.

This is what ima taro g to wonder. How much is scheme verse talent?

I don’t know enough to answer but I do see DB’s lost every play and slow Lb reactions. Is that guidrys fault?
Is our defensive talent that much worse than UVA? because they did a much better job against this same L-ville offense.

Advertisement
A unit isn’t THIS bad because of bad talent or bad coaching alone, its clearly both. Now guidry and that staff have another part of their job they need to do at a higher level and thats recruiting in the portal and hs level.

They decided to go after meesh, and settle with richards and harris as top rotation players. Everyone knew we needed upgrades there and they didn’t act on it enough so there isn’t anyone else to blame for the talent part but them

Scheme wise this is starting to look like a manny diaz defense more and more every week with how easy teams exploit the same **** every weak. We dont do basic **** right just like we didn’t with manny

Vtech scored there 2nd most points in p4 play vs us(34)and there 3rd highest(37) in general is old dominion and then marhsall(31) u telling me our talent and player iq is similar to those two teams? Not buying that

We are the only p4 team to allow cal to score 31 on us, the other two that did are UC davis and San Diego st, you telling me our talent level and player iq level is similar to those teams? Naw im not buying that

Louisville scored their highest amount vs us in p4 play, smu held them to 27 at home,Virginia held them to 24, gtech held them to 31…Yall telling me all of those teams have much better talent and player iq than us? Im not buying it man.

Yall chalk **** like this up to oh we are every team’s superbowl...no we are just getting out coached and out played in those areas its that simple any other explanation is cope.
they didnt settle. elite db's rarely enter the portal.

We got Hill, Powell and Richard in the portal. That’s 60% of the secondary. Who was available in the portal that we missed on and would’ve been an upgrade over those guys?

I feel your frustration. I do. I’m one of the guys who has been saying tap the brakes on the idea of just put in the next guy - they’re back ups for a reason, but I had a mild change of heart in that game. I don’t remember which Louisville TD it was, but there was a misdirection/fake where Harris and the LB both bit and left the RB/WR wide open for the TD. You know, poor eye discipline. Same stuff we’ve been talking about. In that moment I thought what’s the difference if we give up a TD with Harris on the field or with Patterson on the field, it’s six points either way! You literally can’t do worse.

Also, Kiko has been bad this year.
Why has Kiko regressed so much this year? Why has the whole unit regressed?

Would be nice to go to that 3-3-5 we saw last year. It’s not like we’re getting much pressure with 4 anyway. The back 7 needs help.

Advertisement
Is our defensive talent that much worse than UVA? because they did a much better job agsint this same L-ville offense.

Is Texas defensive talent that much worse than Kentucky who held UGA to 13
Is Florida's offense that much more talented than UGA who only scored 13 v Kentucky?

TrumpyCane doesn't think going by your logic makes too much sense, every game is its own game

That being said our secondary is booty cheeks and not the good kind

Correct. Which makes landing elite HS DBs critical
the legit NFL cb we have is damari and hes hurt.
Oj seems to have potential.
Quan needs to see the field more. Harris lost his confidence. rather have quan making the mistakes.
Isiah Thomas is a legit safety is hes every healthy but we need depth bad.

Advertisement
Why has Kiko regressed so much this year? Why has the whole unit regressed?
A. I’m not a coach nor do I have access to the team, therefore all I can do is guess.
B. Kiko has always played with his hair on fire. I haven’t done this drill, but I’d be willing to guess that if we reviewed his film from last year, we would see that he probably wasn’t as good as we thought he was last year. Secondly, the opposing offenses have had the opportunity to look over his film. Many have found that he cannot cover RBs out of the backfield worth a $h!t and are exploiting it. He makes some plays still, but when I see him downfield in coverage, my pants fill with mierda immediately. His tackling has been poor this year. It happens.
C. Define “whole unit” (pause). If you mean the defense as a whole, it’s because of the secondary. If you mean the secondary, it’s because we had to replace four starters from last year and the replacements aren’t as good. Throw in the Brown injury and the transfer portal dudes who’ve underachieved/sucked and voila. I’m not aware of any scheme you can run that completely covers up poor coverage skills 100% of the time.

Is our defensive talent that much worse than UVA? because they did a much better job against this same L-ville offense.

What are the player evals ok PFF or NfL standards?

I don’t know much about UVA but I know Miami has zero NFL talent at LB or in the secondary that are playing.

Only one who might sniff a practice squad is Kiko.

So does UVa have a single nfl caliber player in their back 7? If the answer is yes, then they have as much, if not more talent than Miami on defense.

Only nfl talent Miami has is on its d-line.

At some point it has to be on Guidry.

He took over the 57th ranked defense in F+.

According to SP+ updated rankings this morning (F+ isn’t out yet), the defense is 43.

So in two years he’s marginally improved a defense being coached by a washed DC.

Essentially we could throw a rock and hit a DC just as good. That’s not really an argument for keeping him.

Guidry puts on the facade of being a tough good ol southern SEC type defensive coordinator but he is no better than D’Onofrio imo. In fact, he may be worse. I don’t remember ever getting gashed game after MFing game for multiple 40+ yard chunk plays. And the tacking, holy ****! I’m all in on promoting Taylor at this point. Coach G can gtfo!
I think you need to go back and watch games from 2013…

Advertisement
Back