Jess Simpson gone.

Advertisement
Friends? All of his hires have been people he has coached with previously. Idk about you, but if I’m building a staff around me, I too would pick from the best of the best I have previously worked with. **** if I could do that in my work life, I’d be able to build a pretty solid staff that I feel comfortable will succeed. When you do that you know what you are getting, you know their work ethic and skill sets, you know what their strengths and weaknesses are, etc.

When you hire people outside of your tree, you don’t have direct experience with them to truly know what you are getting.

Sure it’s good to bring in outside perspectives and what not, but when building the core of your staff you really want to have your finger on the pulse of everything. You can do that more effectively when you’ve been to battle with everyone and you know what they are bringing to the table.

This x1000

Let’s not confuse Manny hiring “friends” as him hiring people who are blindly loyal to him and are incompetent, because it’s far from that.

Don’t forget that when looking at the new offensive staff alone, it is light-years ahead of the last one (we had Jon Richt and Searles for Christ’s sake).

Not saying you should like everything Manny is doing, but he hasn’t given anyone a reason to believe that he is some sort of clueless bumbling fool.

Manny Quote:

"“We are excited to welcome Todd to The U,” Diaz said. “As we have built this staff we have emphasized continuity on the defensive side of the ball. Todd is a high energy teacher and motivator whose defensive philosophy aligns perfectly with ours. He knows exactly what a Miami defense looks like up front – from the weight room to the film room to the playing field. "

This is what matters.
I cannot agree with this more.
Do you know why Manny has stuck to hiring people he's worked with previously? Because he wants to continue to run HIS defense and he wants to hire guys who are familiar with HIS defense.

Advertisement
Didn’t think Simpson would pan out as good as he did. We had a **** of a defense.
This guy seems to have a lot of experience so that’s good. Simpson didn’t exactly light the recruiting trail on fire. Don’t know if this guy can either. And no one knows anything until the season is over.
It seems that Manolo is surrounding himself with dudes that have a lot of coaching years. That to me is a smart move from a first time HC. Good leaders aren’t afraid to surround themselves with people that have more experience and may even be smarter than them.

We had 2 dline coaches and our stats got better each year. That my friends is the hallmark of a good program. Bama replaces dudes every year at multiple spots and doesn’t miss a beat.

However, when a lion takes over a pride the first thing he does is kill every cub that wasn’t his.
CMR got rid of everyone. Would not be surprised if this was a mutual agreement from Diaz and Simpson. Manny is a young aggressive coach that is a total 180 from what Simpson signed up for. The fact that that we jumped on stroud so quick and quietly says a lot (positive) about both Simpson and Manny.
Also I believe stroud was mentioned as a name by some on here in the past for DC.

I cannot agree with this more.
Do you know why Manny has stuck to hiring people he's worked with previously? Because he wants to continue to run HIS defense and he wants to hire guys who are familiar with HIS defense.

Not worried about the d. We’re running mannys scheme and will continue to. That’s what’s most important

Advertisement
I'd LIKE to trust Diaz for sure...And obv I'm rooting for him. But at this point there's nothing to base that trust on.

I can respect the opinion ; but for me his overall tenure here and character tend to make me believe he’s a man of his word . And he has the right vibe.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every great leader understands they're only as great as the people they surround themselves with. Manny hiring a coach - Stroud - with 30 years experience signifies Manny gets it. His other hires also have a lot of experience. Manny being a first time HC, the experience on the staff will surely be a positive going forward.

I believe hiring people you know and have worked with in the past is an excellent strategy. You know what you're getting and the learning curve is greatly reduced. Hiring unknowns increases that learning curve and can lead to fractures in the overall vision.

Advertisement
Back