Jess Simpson gone.

Advertisement
42nd in Rush Defense ain't elite, my brother. It's literally one spot ahead of where we were with Kool the previous year.

I'm also looking at our DT's besides Willis. Did they exist?
Didn't say it was elite, just improved. I'm surprised it was only one higher than the previous year but my eyes tell me different. Along with the fact that each year, schedule and team, is different

20 some posts and this man brings the truth. I'm always trying to recruit the strong cats that used to work for me. Keeps my table clean

Yeah but there is a point of overdoing it...No one was beating this Stroud's doors down. It's not like Nick Saban is hiring someone he worked for, there is no such thing as the Manny Diaz or Dan Enos coaching tree, they have to establish that. Would have to liked to see a few young go getters at least interviewed for a couple of the jobs. These are all just former Diaz/Enos relationships...Outside of Franklin and Field.

Our last two d line coaches in this scheme went to the premier d line job in college football, and to the NFL after one season. You'd think he'd be able to garner tons of interest in the position. Kind of disappointed to replace him with a guy on his downswing. If he has a great understanding of what Diaz wants from their roots together that makes sense. But I keep thinking about what Lu and Lance were talking about bringing in different minds ready to disagree with what can become the status quo on a coaching staff.

Don't think this was a rush decision. Simpson probably gave Manny the nod to start identifying a replacement because he' fishing for an NFL job. Nothing wrong with that, everyone should be looking to move vertically not horizontally in their career.

I suspect Manny knew about this for a while and just needed to waiting for all the logistics to clear on Simpsons'/Atlanta side of things, hence the early hire of Stroud

Advertisement
Unbalanced classes few plan A's talented kids leaving sfla in droves, this been going on for 15 years and its why we r down. Look at our NFL pool after Butchs kids, the drop off is insanely poor compared to those kids and people will blame development. Highsmith with coach Saban would never improve to a good player, fact is he would never recruit him. When u sit around the 10-20 range in recruiting on a yearly basis teams like a UNC VT can beat u thats the risk of classes like that. When u sit around 1-5 u have too much talent to lose to those types of teams, is it impossible? No of course not but u have fewer slip ups yearly.
You can't honestly believe it takes top 5 classes every year to be better than we've been.

UNC and VT are never near the 10-20 range in recruiting rankings.

Miami has had one season outside the top 25 in recruiting rankings in the last decade yet they've only finished ranked inside the AP top 25 twice.

Recruiting has been good if not great. The team has been average for the most part.

Our last two d line coaches in this scheme went to the premier d line job in college football, and to the NFL after one season. You'd think he'd be able to garner tons of interest in the position. Kind of disappointed to replace him with a guy on his downswing. If he has a great understanding of what Diaz wants from their roots together that makes sense. But I keep thinking about what Lu and Lance were talking about bringing in different minds ready to disagree with what can become the status quo on a coaching staff.

Exactly, well said.

Manny reconnected with certain coaches he deemed worthy. On offense, he gambled big for Enos & allowed him to make choices he was most comfortable with. I'm more concerned with the latter more so than anything on defense. JMO
I agree with this post, I loved the Enos hire btw.

Lol at people saying this is a nepotism type of move. Do you realize that many successful coaches hire assistants who they've worked in the past - relationship and trust are important.

Real nepotism type of move would be hiring your son who has no experience at all.
Stroud has 30 years of experience and produced serious talent in the past. Quit comparing this move to hiring Jon richt. God ****.

Amen. This guy was previously a DC before Manny hired him. He's coached DL for years previously in college. He's been a recruiting coordinator. He also has a background in strength and conditioning. This guy is far from underqualified, and is far from a hire out of nepotism. Having a prior coaching relationship as a factor in a hiring decision is standard in coaching, as it is in almost any business - if you come across/work with someone, build a relationship, respect their ability, why wouldn't you hire that person?

Do we know that he's going to be a great DL coach here? No, of course not. But when Simpson was brought in to replace Kul, many people, me included, were skeptical of a guy who had never been a DL coach in college, and he seemed to do pretty **** well here. Stroud has a ton more on his resume to suggest that he'll be more successful here than Simpson had when he was hired.

Also, serious question - let's say Manny didn't hire Stroud. Who would make people happy? Who is more qualified than Stroud? I'm sure Kevin Patrick's name will come up, but apparently he isn't interested. So what is the name that brings more credibility than this guy?

Advertisement
Stroud was hired a month plus ago. Most coaches are all set w their new teams.

But this guy has been going backwards. After Mario Williams a decade plus ago, he went to FSU-Colorado State-Akron. Why? And he wasn't even coaching DL again till 5 years later at Colorado State.

Sometimes personal things get in the way, and can cause guys to not want to deal on the big stage, but he's a respected mind in the d-line football world. For instance, if V-tech's d-co ever left V-tech, you might just see the same thing, some guys have personal issues they deal with that certain institutions work thru with them!

Advertisement
You can't honestly believe it takes top 5 classes every year to be better than we've been.

UNC and VT are never near the 10-20 range in recruiting rankings.

Miami has had one season outside the top 25 in recruiting rankings in the last decade yet they've only finished ranked inside the AP top 25 twice.

Recruiting has been good if not great. The team has been average for the most part.
to me the drop off between 1-3 rankiing 1-5 is deep IMO, to me recruiting shows out years later in the NFL. People saw what UM did with our Butch teams when those players went to the NFL, we dont send those caliber players in the NFL like that anymore and its not cause of lack of development if they are getting NFL coaching. The talent drop off is big, u look at the typical powerhouses there rosters dwarf ours and thats proven in the NFL as well.

Didn't say it was elite, just improved. I'm surprised it was only one higher than the previous year but my eyes tell me different. Along with the fact that each year, schedule and team, is different
Fair enough. I saw way too many long runs given up for my taste last year.

Advertisement
The nepotism stuff is overplayed. If it's anything, it's cronyism, which runs rampant in coaching (and several other professions). Most head coaches in America (especially new head coaches) hire assistant coaches that they or someone else on their staff already know and have a relationship with. It's how most staffs are built.

As long as the candidate is qualified, Manny is willing to hold these individuals accountable, and he does not hesitate to show them the door for poor performance, I don't see a problem.

I legit hate a lot of our “fans”. Shroud is more then capable of continuing the good work being done on the DL. And Jess left for a big time promotion. So why the flailing and whining? You all just need something/anything to happen so you can get in your feelings and act like little *******.

Got geniuses calling this nepotism(LoL) and saying Manny has only hired his friends. I’m still waiting to be shown the coach who fills his staff with strangers and enemies but I’m sure I’ll be waiting awhile. This time last year, this same crew was whining about Kool leaving and Jess’ hiring. Now they all broke up about Jess leaving. Some of yall’s emotions swing worse than menstruating females.

On a side note, I see a lot of posters replying to **** that I can’t see bc I’ve ignored a lot of the fake fans that pollute these threads with their drivel. The mods let obvious trolls run wild on here, some of them for years...
So trust me, the ignore option is your friend, friend.

I’m open minded on the Stroud hire. He’s a gray beard that has had success in the past.

I really hope that this means Manny hires another high level support staff guy. Really liked Stroud for that hire previously

Yeah but there is a point of overdoing it...No one was beating this Stroud's doors down. It's not like Nick Saban is hiring someone he worked for, there is no such thing as the Manny Diaz or Dan Enos coaching tree, they have to establish that. Would have to liked to see a few young go getters at least interviewed for a couple of the jobs. These are all just former Diaz/Enos relationships...Outside of Franklin and Field.

I agree with you. But you strike a point. With Manny being so young and fresh, realistically, how many well established coaches are going to come work for him? Moreso, how many young up-and-comers are going to leave their current positions and the reps they've built for a year 1 head coach?

In this sense, the Enos hire was a homerun. Maybe the Stroud hire doesn't work out, but overall i like the body of work Manny is putting together so far. It's ballsy, but I rather Manny play in the grey areas than just keep it black and white. Golden, Coker, Richt, Shannon...those guys were never grey area coaches.

Advertisement
Back