Jason Whitlocks prediction on next UM coach

Honest question.

If Chip comes back to college will he become the highest paid college coach in history?

I say yes. What do you say?

Advertisement
Honest question.

If Chip comes back to college will he become the highest paid college coach in history?

No. Saban got dat.

I could see the 5-6 mill range

I think Chip will land on his feet in the NFL again before he coaches for $4million in college.

With his ego? If he is forced out of Philly he is coming back to college to dominate. To do that you need the one thing he never had in Oregon and that's the ability to bring in the best recruiting classes year in and year out. Whats the best location to do that?

Advertisement
Honest question.

No. Saban got dat.

I think Chip will land on his feet in the NFL again before he coaches for $4million in college.

With his ego? If he is forced out of Philly he is coming back to college to dominate. To do that you need the one thing he never had in Oregon and that's the ability to bring in the best recruiting classes year in and year out. Whats the best location to do that?

If somehow he gets fired in Philly another NFL team will roll the dice on him before he ever gets a whiff of the NCAA again.

Gone are the days of winning with defense.

When did those days end? After the three Bama titles? Was it after FSU won the title with the top-ranked defense? Maybe those days ended when Oregon finally won the big one.

Defense still wins championships. Everybody remembers Urban's offenses, but they forget that his defenses have been loaded with NFL players.

It's the same thing going on in the NBA. People focus on how the Warriors shoot and ignore the fact that they were the best defensive team in the league. You need both.

Ohio St. had a monster defense as well last season. People forget about it given how Herman had that offense humming with a 3rd string QB. I remember the playoffs quite vividly. OSU's d-line dictated the physicality of their game with Bama, which allowed them to run all over Alabama. That Oregon game was a significant mismatch for their O-line. They had no answer for Bosa that night.

Defense doesn't win titles? What has been this team's glaring weakness the last 5 years? I'll give you a hint, it's defense.

Honest question.

No. Saban got dat.

If somehow he gets fired in Philly another NFL team will roll the dice on him before he ever gets a whiff of the NCAA again.

I agree that someone would offer him. I dont think his ego is stroked enough in the NFL. Same as Saban.

Advertisement
Bottom line, when he comes back to the collegiate game, college football will have another superpower. I would love for that to be us, but the timing may be a year or two off.

USC, they have as much money as anyone and basically our recruiting grounds, just on the west coast. I don't read who they're after, but they should make a real play no matter how much it costs. If we have the financial backing to do the same, we should do so as well.

You might get away with winning a lot of games with an offense but you definitely win the championships with the defense

You might get away with winning a lot of games with an offense but you definitely win the championships with the defense

Ohio State gave up 24 points or more 9 times last year. They gave up 27 or more 6 times. That's far from a great D.

They won with offense.

Ohio State gave up 24 points or more 9 times last year. They gave up 27 or more 6 times. That's far from a great D.

They won with offense.

That's an interesting stat - thanks for providing. They do have a lot of studs on that defense, though. It's littered with 4-5 stars.

Advertisement

They won with offense.

If you're going to use stats, use them correctly. Ohio State was #5 in the country in scoring defense in 2014. They won because they had a better defense than every team they played against.

The big ten is a joke . There's not any elite offenses there. That's why Alabama went up and down the field on them in the playoffs. Oregon did too, they just had a ton of drops . They had almost 500 yards of offense , and a another 75-100 in drops.

Osu won because they had a better offense than anyone they played. The big ten is all 1980's football , most defenses would love to face I Form and twin TE all game like osu did I'm that conference.

Oregon: 45 PPG, scored 20 against Ohio State
Wisconsin: 35 PPG, scored 0 against Ohio State

They won with defense.

Osu won because they had a better offense than anyone they played.

Oregon proves you wrong. Oregon has been all offense all the time, yet they can't win the championship. Ohio State actually puts some emphasis on defense, and they shut Oregon down. This is too easy.

Advertisement
The big ten is all 1980's football , most defenses would love to face I Form and twin TE all game like osu did I'm that conference.

Then Ohio State should have been overwhelmed by Oregon. Yet Oregon had their lowest point total of the year.

Defense wins championships.

Gone are the days of winning with defense.

When did those days end? After the three Bama titles? Was it after FSU won the title with the top-ranked defense? Maybe those days ended when Oregon finally won the big one.

Defense still wins championships. Everybody remembers Urban's offenses, but they forget that his defenses have been loaded with NFL players.

It's the same thing going on in the NBA. People focus on how the Warriors shoot and ignore the fact that they were the best defensive team in the league. You need both.

Ohio St. had a monster defense as well last season. People forget about it given how Herman had that offense humming with a 3rd string QB. I remember the playoffs quite vividly. OSU's d-line dictated the physicality of their game with Bama, which allowed them to run all over Alabama. That Oregon game was a significant mismatch for their O-line. They had no answer for Bosa that night.

Defense doesn't win titles? What has been this team's glaring weakness the last 5 years? I'll give you a hint, it's defense.
LOL. This dude's talking about UM and our defense under Folden like that's all that kept us out of NC contention.

For all you guys stuck in "defense wins championships" mode wake up and expand your horizons.

I'll give you some really simple basic logic to teethe on. Chip played for NCs in a tougher conference with 3 star players composing the majority of his roster. Stop making this harder than it has to be. If he can do that in a tougher conference with lesser players doesn't it stand to reason he could do the same or better in a significantly weaker conference with access in his backyard to substantially better players?

Quit nerding out with hyper focus on one side of the ball or one system you think we need to run and focus on the overall TEAM that a particular coach fields. The team! The team! The team! Stop being micro-focus nerds.

Advertisement
Back