Jason Whitlocks prediction on next UM coach

I don't think Kelly would want the Titan's job, Mariota is not enough of a reason to burn a career. Tennessee's GM, Ruston Webster is horrible and the Adams family loves him and he's not going anywhere. Result, this is the worst franchise in the NFL.

If Chip Kelly is fired or whatever, he's going to Tennessee to reunite Mariota. They just fired Whisenhunt(thank god) so it's just waiting for him at this point.

Advertisement
Stop trashing one coach because u like another. With no evidence to back up what you're saying. They both had success in college and struggled in the NFL. Chip Kelly is a good coach and maybe better suited for College. But what some of you don't realize. Only certain coaches fit into Miami. Who is not going to whine about not having 80k fans , ore fancy weight rooms or on campus stadium. It's a unique job. Most people want Butch because he has done it, mastered it....here. Chip Kelly may well be a better x and o guy, but what about the other stuff, when he has to go up against SEC douche baggery on the trail. These things matter. There are lot of good candidates overall but some do not fit Miami , like Rich Rod at Michigan. He is still a good coach but he did not fit there.

This isn't about liking chip , it's about facts .Chip is a far better coach, an X O guy that's transcended the game. His schemes and principles are being ripped off at every level. Anybody like that I respect.

I'm not a "fan "of anybody.

Butch needs elite talent and elite assistants to be successful , Chip don't. It's just ironic the Butch cult are normally the ones slamming Chip. That's the only reason I bring butch up.
Stop ur crap. Butch recruits these talent, and hires these assistants. Ur acting like he stumbled upon them. He surrounds himself with good coaches. Which is what we need, talent development. Not to mention coach up unheralded players. U can talk about Chip Kelly but talking down Butch is heresy

First off it's not crap, if you don't like facts then block me.

Second,What has lord Butch ever won? I don't want " ifs" or " buts".

His biggest achievement is going 11-1 with the greatest talent ever, a bunch of 4-5 loss seasons and failing in the NFL . While having an epic choke in the playoffs ,that Bruce Arians still rips him about. His greatest coaching moment on his resume is 15 years ago.

I know he's a great evaluator / recruiter. I also know he's a below average gameday coach . That's known to be super conservative , borderline coaching scared .

If you think he'll land arguably the best college coaching staff and roster again ,that's fine. I think the percentages of that are quite low .

So sorry if I'm not 100 % sold on him coming back, it's still risky . Just as risky as the guys posters constantly blast , because they're not Butch.

Like I've said to nauseam, I'd take him back , I'd just call 3-4 other guys first. Just stating the obvious.
I have guys who I like other than Butch. I just don't feel the need to trash them. Chip Kelly is having a tough time at Philly. Doesn't mean IMA act like he didn't do anything at Oregon. I have no clue how u mofos can act like losing 30 schollies and turning around the program like that was luck. No it is thorough hard work. And he was well on his way to stacking UNC. And they sucked *** before that.

They were " stocked" the year before the suspensions . But still went 8-5. And choked away a couple games that should've been wins. While playing in a crappy conference, with crappy coaches. Especially the coastal .

Stocking isn't the problem with Butch, coaching is. He'll always have good talent .

lmfao, I come on here and people are actually questioning whether Chip Kelly would kill at UM. lmfao, CANNOT be real

Stop trashing one coach because u like another. With no evidence to back up what you're saying. They both had success in college and struggled in the NFL. Chip Kelly is a good coach and maybe better suited for College. But what some of you don't realize. Only certain coaches fit into Miami. Who is not going to whine about not having 80k fans , ore fancy weight rooms or on campus stadium. It's a unique job. Most people want Butch because he has done it, mastered it....here. Chip Kelly may well be a better x and o guy, but what about the other stuff, when he has to go up against SEC douche baggery on the trail. These things matter. There are lot of good candidates overall but some do not fit Miami , like Rich Rod at Michigan. He is still a good coach but he did not fit there.

This isn't about liking chip , it's about facts .Chip is a far better coach, an X O guy that's transcended the game. His schemes and principles are being ripped off at every level. Anybody like that I respect.

Butch needs elite talent and elite assistants to be successful , Chip don't. It's just ironic the Butch cult are normally the ones slamming Chip. That's the only reason I bring butch up.
Stop ur crap. Butch recruits these talent, and hires these assistants. Ur acting like he stumbled upon them. He surrounds himself with good coaches. Which is what we need, talent development. Not to mention coach up unheralded players. U can talk about Chip Kelly but talking down Butch is heresy

His biggest achievement is going 11-1 with the greatest talent ever, a bunch of 4-5 loss seasons and failing in the NFL . While having an epic choke in the playoffs ,that Bruce Arians still rips him about. His greatest coaching moment on his resume is 15 years ago.

I know he's a great evaluator / recruiter. I also know he's a below average gameday coach . That's known to be super conservative , borderline coaching scared .

If you think he'll land arguably the best college coaching staff and roster again ,that's fine. I think the percentages of that are quite low .

So sorry if I'm not 100 % sold on him coming back, it's still risky . Just as risky as the guys posters constantly blast , because they're not Butch.

Like I've said to nauseam, I'd take him back , I'd just call 3-4 other guys first. Just stating the obvious.
I have guys who I like other than Butch. I just don't feel the need to trash them. Chip Kelly is having a tough time at Philly. Doesn't mean IMA act like he didn't do anything at Oregon. I have no clue how u mofos can act like losing 30 schollies and turning around the program like that was luck. No it is thorough hard work. And he was well on his way to stacking UNC. And they sucked *** before that.

Oh ,I'm not trashing him....just stating facts.

I'm the guy who's fine with a bunch of candidates, I don't have a dog in the fight.The butchaholics are the ones ripping the other candidates. Like he's not loaded with flaws. I'm just stating there's no sure thing minus Saban or Meyer.

I'm fine with Butch, Herman, Hue Jackson, Chud, Richt, Strong, Pagano and even Chud. I think all those guys are really good coaches , they all have flaws but are far superior than anything we've had around here in a long time.

My heart isn't set on anyone , I can find things on all of them that concern me some. Including chip.

Posters on here act like a chick trying to find their Prince Charming , when it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Oh ,I'm not trashing him....just stating facts.

I'm the guy who's fine with a bunch of candidates, I don't have a dog in the fight.The butchaholics are the ones ripping the other candidates. Like he's not loaded with flaws. I'm just stating there's no sure thing minus Saban or Meyer.

I'm fine with Butch, Herman, Hue Jackson, Chud, Richt, Strong, Pagano and even Chud. I think all those guys are really good coaches , they all have flaws but are far superior than anything we've had around here in a long time.

My heart isn't set on anyone , I can find things on all of them that concern me some. Including chip.

Posters on here at like a chick trying to find their Prince Charming , when it doesn't exist.
^^^^^
Great response Cribby, I swear it feels like I'm reading a Womens Magazine rather that a Hurricane sports blog.

Advertisement
Who was Whitlock referencing when he said that Chip has guys on his staff in Philly with Miami ties? Only guy I can name is Stoutland.

1386280594496.gif

Worst thread ever for the simple fact that there are people that actually think chip Kelly would not destroy college football at Miami. He's not a home run hire he's a grand slam. I would dare say he would have us top 10 in his first year. The guy was the third best coach in CFB before he left after Urban and Saban.

Bring that savage to Miami and watch the national championship trophies fall from the sky.

Advertisement
Who was Whitlock referencing when he said that Chip has guys on his staff in Philly with Miami ties? Only guy I can name is Stoutland.

I'm pretty sure that's the only guy. He's just throwing **** at the wall and see if it sticks. I seriously doubt Chip is back in college next year

I'm pretty sure that's the only guy. He's just throwing **** at the wall and see if it sticks. I seriously doubt Chip is back in college next year

Maybe, maybe not...but his system is a **** of a lot more suited to the college game than the NFL level.

In my opinion, assuming he's fired, he will go back to college.....the problem that I see from our perspective is that it will spawn a bidding war of historic proportions. It's at that point that we'd find out how serious the administration's latest claims about wanting to win really are.

With all respect to all you Butch guys....Chip is on another level. There's absolutely no comparison between the two. For all of Butch's redeeming qualities he's not a great gameday coach......which is where Chip excels at the college level.

Doesn't matter how much of a long shot it may be...this administration owes it to the school, the program, the students, and the fans to wait things out and see what happens over the 2nd half of the NFL season. If the Eagles implode fate might just deal us a favorable set of circumstances.

This program has been cursed by bad calls costing us championships, incompetent administration, incompetent coaching as a result of the aforementioned incompetent administration, and NCAA BS. For the love of God we're due for some good luck.

Chip Kelly and Miami would be a match made in heaven....I'm not ready to give up on that dream just yet. I pray this administration doesn't make a rush hire and let's this play out.

Maybe, maybe not...but his system is a **** of a lot more suited to the college game than the NFL level.

In my opinion, assuming he's fired, he will go back to college.....the problem that I see from our perspective is that it will spawn a bidding war of historic proportions. It's at that point that we'd find out how serious the administration's latest claims about wanting to win really are.

With all respect to all you Butch guys....Chip is on another level. There's absolutely no comparison between the two. For all of Butch's redeeming qualities he's not a great gameday coach......which is where Chip excels at the college level.

Doesn't matter how much of a long shot it may be...this administration owes it to the school, the program, the students, and the fans to wait things out and see what happens over the 2nd half of the NFL season. If the Eagles implode fate might just deal us a favorable set of circumstances.

This program has been cursed by bad calls costing us championships, incompetent administration, incompetent coaching as a result of the aforementioned incompetent administration, and NCAA BS. For the love of God we're due for some good luck.

Chip Kelly and Miami would be a match made in heaven....I'm not ready to give up on that dream just yet. I pray this administration doesn't make a rush hire and let's this play out.

Agree.

I think his offense could kill in the NFL but he hasn't got his qb yet. He put all his eggs in the Marriota basket and couldn't make a trade. Now he's stuck with his third qb that's not athletic, and that means he can't run his true offense.

Match made in heaven. Never been a more perfect philosophical fit for this program and its recruiting base than Chip.

Whitlock was right about Folden being a fraud. Hopefully he's right on this.

Agreed, I just never thought it was anything other than a pipe dream. Would be amazing though. I'm just curious what he would do defensively.

Advertisement

I'm a bring back Butch guy but I am right there with you on this. I think the administration really wants to do the right thing this time but I think that ultimately Chip Kelly will prove to be out of our price range. I hope I'm wrong but Kelly will command upwards of 6 million on the open market and I don't think the Hecht wants to shell out that type of money. Once again I hope I'm wrong.

Match made in heaven. Never been a more perfect philosophical fit for this program and its recruiting base than Chip.

He's not going to bring that Oregon, 3 DL in a Frog stance, D with him is he?

I know this is a joke, but it spurred some thought in me, so I wanted to see if Chip's teams really were trash defensively, or if that is a myth based on his offense.

What I decided to do was calculate the yards per play for each year that Chip was the HC at Oregon. His defenses were as follows:

2009: 12th in yards per play (4.56), and 1.22 standard deviations above the mean.
2010: 11th in yards per play (4.67), and 1.27 standard deviations above the mean.
2011: 35th in yards per play (5.07), and 0.61 standard deviations above the mean.
2012: 26th in yards per play (4.94), and 0.94 standard deviations above the mean.

For a point of reference, I wanted to compare this to Butch's 1999 team. This gave Butch time to recruit a complete team and field his defense. Here is how that season turned out for Butch:

1999: 12th in yards per play (4.37), and 1.28 standard deviations above the mean.

Given the increase in offense in college football, I wanted to calculate the standard deviations to understand how they compare in relation to their peers. Chip was right with Butch's best defense in two of his seasons, and under 5.00 yards per play in all but one season (which is outstanding).

Chip Kelly is a better option than Butch Davis. There isn't a big debate that can be made to the contrary if you are going off of objective measurements. If you add subjective elements such as knowing the school, area, energizing the fanbase etc. maybe you could make a compelling argument. Chip fields very good defenses, and record-breaking offenses that actually fit S. Florida perfectly. He also is the type of personality that fits with this fanbase and this area.

Of all possible options, Chip Kelly is the best one.

Agree.

I think his offense could kill in the NFL but he hasn't got his qb yet. He put all his eggs in the Marriota basket and couldn't make a trade. Now he's stuck with his third qb that's not athletic, and that means he can't run his true offense.

Nah he's made his own bed on the QB front. Foles was running his system very well - then he thought he was the smartest guy in the room and could turn around Bradford's career.

Advertisement

Agree.

Nah he's made his own bed on the QB front. Foles was running his system very well - then he thought he was the smartest guy in the room and could turn around Bradford's career.

I'm an Eagles fan , trust me...Foles is not a franchise guy. He had one flukie year and came back to earth.

To run his offense you need to have a threat at qb to pull the ball on the zone read. If not the DE will not respect the fake.

If he got an RG3 or Kap you'd see his true offense . The offense automatically makes everyone look better than they really are, so those guys would have a rebirth in his system.

As for Bradford, he was brought in for trade bait, the Browns ownership had a crush on him for years. He figured he could get a couple of their picks ,then will and deal with Ten.

So he thought he could use Bradford,a couple of D starters and some picks for MM. But the Titans just wanted too much.

Last edited:

I know this is a joke, but it spurred some thought in me, so I wanted to see if Chip's teams really were trash defensively, or if that is a myth based on his offense.

What I decided to do was calculate the yards per play for each year that Chip was the HC at Oregon. His defenses were as follows:

2009: 12th in yards per play (4.56), and 1.22 standard deviations above the mean.
2010: 11th in yards per play (4.67), and 1.27 standard deviations above the mean.
2011: 35th in yards per play (5.07), and 0.61 standard deviations above the mean.
2012: 26th in yards per play (4.94), and 0.94 standard deviations above the mean.

For a point of reference, I wanted to compare this to Butch's 1999 team. This gave Butch time to recruit a complete team and field his defense. Here is how that season turned out for Butch:

1999: 12th in yards per play (4.37), and 1.28 standard deviations above the mean.

Given the increase in offense in college football, I wanted to calculate the standard deviations to understand how they compare in relation to their peers. Chip was right with Butch's best defense in two of his seasons, and under 5.00 yards per play in all but one season (which is outstanding).

Chip Kelly is a better option than Butch Davis. There isn't a big debate that can be made to the contrary if you are going off of objective measurements. If you add subjective elements such as knowing the school, area, energizing the fanbase etc. maybe you could make a compelling argument. Chip fields very good defenses, and record-breaking offenses that actually fit S. Florida perfectly. He also is the type of personality that fits with this fanbase and this area.

The argument against Chip Kelly has always been fiction. Folks act like the teams he was losing to were Iowa State or East Carolina (wink, wink)!

Teams the win championships are complete teams. And those Oregon teams were complete. It just so happened, Auburn had Cam Newton playing QB and Nick Fairley playing the DL. And Oregon's D kept them in the game all night.

Kelly is up there with Gruden, as far as candidates. He would absolutely be the best hire, but there is no chance we get him.

The argument against Chip Kelly has always been fiction. Folks act like the teams he was losing to were Iowa State or East Carolina (wink, wink)!

Teams the win championships are complete teams. And those Oregon teams were complete. It just so happened, Auburn had Cam Newton playing QB and Nick Fairley playing the DL. And Oregon's D kept them in the game all night.

Kelly is up there with Gruden, as far as candidates. He would absolutely be the best hire, but there is no chance we get him.

The spread / Chip haters used to sit around and wait for his one loss a year , then say " spread can't win" or " Oregon is a fraud".

Even though he was playing in arguably the hardest or second hardest conference , with a bunch of three stars. It's always cracked me up

Actually he's an east coast guy so saying there is no way doesn't make much sense.
There is no way if Chip Kelly comes back to college he doesn't go to Southern Cal. No **** way. Having said that, if he was a realistic option, ****, I would want him over Butch, and my list would be:
1a) Chip 1b)Butch 1c) Hue Jackson.

Either of those 3 coaches will win a national championship here, or at the very least make the playoffs. Guarantee it.

Meant more because he's familiar with the Pac12 and USC is the best job available in college football. **** IMO, it might be better than if Texas is open.

People make moves all the time based on location, look at coach L. From what I understand he wants to be on the east coast and what better place than Miami if you from the north east. I remember hearing his name from an X member of the athletic department before golden was canned this year and though it was nuts but maybe there is some substance to this.

Don't even act like if you are deciding based off location USC is much worse than Miami. They are basically even. Miami and USC are basically very similar schools on opposite sides of the country. Only difference is USC has better facilities across the board and more money.

You may be right but USC doesn't have the recruits locally as Miami does and USC is his last college teams rivals. Those are things to think about. Bringing USC back would not be the same as bringing Miami back.

Advertisement
Back