I like our chances at the ACC title this year

Morris has started a grand total of 4 games. 4!

And people are already deciding that he stinks.

He only started 4 games because he couldn't beat out the all time interception leader in UM history. What does that say about Morris?

Jacory also has the second most touchdowns thrown at UM and that is more than Kelly, Erickson, Walsh, Torreta, Testaverde and Kyle Wright. I don't know what to expect out of the kid Morris but I don't think many do either....writing him off (in general) is foolish. His freshman year he was groomed to red-shirt (regardless of whether it was right or wrong decision). Last year Jacory had his best season (although I am not a fan of his arm or game time demeanor)

2011 195 for 300 65.0% 2486 20TD 9INT (11 Games)

With Morris starting, should be interesting year.

one of those things is not like the other things.

Advertisement
I wasnt impressed with Williams this spring... If Morris is healthy he is the starter... Williams can later evolve into a better qb but he didnt show much with the limited plays he was given... He made a few good throws(as we all know the easy drop by Walford) but he also made a lot of bad throws... This is a healthy Morris job to lose... And Williams doesnt have that strong of a arm for a lot of the passes he was attempting...

I agree, Williams throws a below average ball. It comes out wobbly and takes awhile to reach the target. Williams had a good opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the offense with Morris out and he didn't. I think it is Morris's job if healthy.

Last year we had 2 marginal QBs in Harris and Morris. This year we have 2 marginal QBs in Morris and Williams. Sure hope I'm wrong, but I don't see either of them as good as Brock Berlin.

Haha, I remember when Brock Berlin was being lambasted and how we long for a qb of his caliber now.

Brock Berlin was hot garbage compared to Ken Dorsey, but he's Joe Montana compared to the motley crew we've had at the position since he graduated.

Go to 4:45.

[video=youtube;j5xEs5G8Dow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5xEs5G8Dow&feature=plcp[/video]

Advertisement
Haha, I remember when Brock Berlin was being lambasted and how we long for a qb of his caliber now.

JR year Brock Berlin was horrible. SR year Brock Berlin was WAY better than the JR version, but still was about on par with SR Jacory - just had a top 10 defense to help make things easier on the offense.

I disagree with lauderdaleballer. Ultimately it is wins and losses that will tell the story, but the difference I see already between Golden's recruits and Shannon's recruits is that Shannon's recruits (particularly the MNW 2008 kids, minus Spence) came in with big egos and a big sense of entitlement. Like Shannon, those guys thought that Miami would win simply because we're Miami. They clearly didn't put in the work in the weight room. They clearly took plays off. They were clearly soft as ****.

I don't get that feeling at all from Golden's recruits.

We were cool with the 2008 class's development going into 2010. Helped the team go from 7 wins to 9 wins and seemed on the verge of contending for national title and favorites for the conference title. That season went to **** and so did everyone's opinion of the 2008 class. Sucks cause Whipple/Shannon issue probably was far greater a reason for that season going so bad than 2008 guys not putting in the work.

I disagree with lauderdaleballer. Ultimately it is wins and losses that will tell the story, but the difference I see already between Golden's recruits and Shannon's recruits is that Shannon's recruits (particularly the MNW 2008 kids, minus Spence) came in with big egos and a big sense of entitlement. Like Shannon, those guys thought that Miami would win simply because we're Miami. They clearly didn't put in the work in the weight room. They clearly took plays off. They were clearly soft as ****.

We were cool with the 2008 class's development going into 2010. Helped the team go from 7 wins to 9 wins and seemed on the verge of contending for national title and favorites for the conference title. That season went to **** and so did everyone's opinion of the 2008 class. Sucks cause Whipple/Shannon issue probably was far greater a reason for that season going so bad than 2008 guys not putting in the work.

That 2008 class was pillow soft and was exposed by Wisconsin in the 2009 Citrus Bowl. Hand warmers and all. For those guys, UM was a pitstop on the way to the NFL. Nothing more.

Advertisement

That 2008 class was pillow soft and was exposed by Wisconsin in the 2009 Citrus Bowl. Hand warmers and all. For those guys, UM was a pitstop on the way to the NFL. Nothing more.

any offense that starts Matt Pipho at RT can be easily attacked - that's what was proved that game. I rewatched that game just to watch the OL play and Pipho got beat over and over and over. Figs had a game that should have been sent out to all pro teams every where. Franklin, Gunn, Washington, and Trump had pretty good games too. But only as good as that really weak link.

defensively Joe Joseph and Josh Holmes got pushed around **** near every play. Curtis Porter and Micanor Regis faired a lot better. the big runs pretty much all came against the starting DTs.

the cold weather issues looked bad when you factor in non important things but weren't part of the problem. the problems were season long - Pipho starting and not being able to cover TEs (luckily most teams didn't use them all that much). The half season long problem was Jacory playing that game with a torn ligament in his throwing hand's thumb. Missed a lot of passes that he normally would make.

Someone who is actually paying attention.

We were cool with the 2008 class's development going into 2010 [Perhaps an overstatement here. I'm still not convinced we did much to develop talent during either the Coker or Shannon eras]. Helped the team go from 7 wins to 9 wins and seemed on the verge of contending for national title and favorites for the conference title. That season went to **** and so did everyone's opinion of the 2008 class. Sucks cause Whipple/Shannon issue probably was far greater a reason for that season going so bad than 2008 guys not putting in the work.

any offense that starts Matt Pipho at RT can be easily attacked - that's what was proved that game. I rewatched that game just to watch the OL play and Pipho got beat over and over and over. Figs had a game that should have been sent out to all pro teams every where. Franklin, Gunn, Washington, and Trump had pretty good games too. But only as good as that really weak link.

defensively Joe Joseph and Josh Holmes got pushed around **** near every play. Curtis Porter and Micanor Regis faired a lot better. the big runs pretty much all came against the starting DTs.

the cold weather issues looked bad when you factor in non important things but weren't part of the problem. the problems were season long - Pipho starting and not being able to cover TEs (luckily most teams didn't use them all that much). The half season long problem was Jacory playing that game with a torn ligament in his throwing hand's thumb. Missed a lot of passes that he normally would make.

I wasnt impressed with Williams this spring... If Morris is healthy he is the starter... Williams can later evolve into a better qb but he didnt show much with the limited plays he was given... He made a few good throws(as we all know the easy drop by Walford) but he also made a lot of bad throws... This is a healthy Morris job to lose... And Williams doesnt have that strong of a arm for a lot of the passes he was attempting...

I agree, Williams throws a below average ball. It comes out wobbly and takes awhile to reach the target. Williams had a good opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the offense with Morris out and he didn't. I think it is Morris's job if healthy.

Last year we had 2 marginal QBs in Harris and Morris. This year we have 2 marginal QBs in Morris and Williams. Sure hope I'm wrong, but I don't see either of them as good as Brock Berlin.

you wouldn't know a good thing if it fell on your lap and gave you head.
Morris has the goods. He performed as good as any could have expected given the circumstances he faced.

Morris has the goods. He performed as good as any could have expected given the circumstances he faced.

HGe can't pass, can't run, and throws INTs when he isn't fumbling. We are in real trouble until we get a QB (and "QB" means someone who doesn't get beat out by Jacory)

Advertisement
I think the biggest difference between this year and previous years is the lack of expectations. Every preseason on the message boards and in the local media, this team was suppose to compete for an ACC championship. This is the first year that I can rememeber where everyone is down on the Canes. No one believes they can do well. As a result, this will lead to less pressure on the team since there are no expectations.

Now will this make us better? I have absolutely no clue.

This team lacks talent compared to teams in the past but IF they can make up for this with discipline, strenght, determination, and luck then we have a CHANCE to win the division. VT does not have the most talented teams every year but they win with charachteristics I previously mentioned. Excited to see how it plays out.

JR year Brock Berlin was horrible. SR year Brock Berlin was WAY better than the JR version, but still was about on par with SR Jacory - just had a top 10 defense to help make things easier on the offense.

Berlin wished he had Jacory JR season as a junior... He was terrible but he turned it around his senior year... He wasnt so much better than Jacory... Their seasons were about the same except one had a top defense... Jacory made plays but his defense just couldnt help him when he needed it like Brock's defense...

HGe can't pass, can't run, and throws INTs when he isn't fumbling. We are in real trouble until we get a QB (and "QB" means someone who doesn't get beat out by Jacory)

That doesnt mean anything Jacory could have started for a lot of teams last year... UF and FSU could have used him... Morris will be alright... We're leaning towards a more conservative O... Last year if our D was a bit decent we would have seen it but we were always behind and needed some big plays which Jacory gave us for most of the year... The offense was never on the field that long so it was either boom or bust...

Advertisement

That doesnt mean anything Jacory could have started for a lot of teams last year... UF and FSU could have used him... Morris will be alright... We're leaning towards a more conservative O... Last year if our D was a bit decent we would have seen it but we were always behind and needed some big plays which Jacory gave us for most of the year... The offense was never on the field that long so it was either boom or bust...

Jacory starting over Morris had nothing to do with ability.
That was Jacory's team. It was Jacory's locker room. The team was going to win or lose with their leader under center. Like a boat captain trying to ride out a storm if he makes it out great. If the boat sinks, the captain sinks with it.

But make no mistake, Morris is the better QB.

Advertisement
Back