I like our chances at the ACC title this year

Morris will be just fine. He's had a year of work with Fisch emphasizing taking what you're given, and not forcing anything. In the event he has a bad game going - and all quarterbacks DO have a game where things just aren't tipping his way, we have a backup who has been taught the same things.

Time and again I hear of how our Freshmen, lacking experience, maturity, size, and so on cannot be relied upon to make game-changing plays. BS. Utter BS. I understand that in past classes, we had some freshmen who came in wanting to do their own thing, and some who weren't fully prepared for kickoff.

These freshmen are different. These freshmen have been working their asses off to get strong and improve their skills. A completely different mindset than we are accustomed to. These freshmen, along with upper classmen are determined to win. They believe they can win - not through their 'talent', but they expect to win because they've put in a ton of work like we've not seen in several years.

They're tougher mentally and physically than we're accustomed to, so don't be so quick to underrate them. Golden himself isn't the least bit hesitant to play those ready to play, and said up front that they really don't factor in whether a player is a freshman, redshirt freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. He sees them. He sees what they can do. The entire coaching team sees. Upper classmen are bragging on the freshmen, and from limited comments expressed, the upper classmen seem a bit shocked at how hard they're working, how skilled they are, how determined they are, how strong they are, and how well they execute.

Can those of you closer to the program not feel the change? Do you not note the difference in attitude? Can you not see the difference in attitude and expectation by our 'Canes?

If you can't, your noodle is as numb as your nuts.

How can you say that they're stronger than what we are accustom to? They havent been tested yet... There hasnt been any adversity for them to over come yet...I understand your optimism concerning the freshmen but they are still freshmen... We cant say they're mentally or physically stronger than what we're used to... They havent been tested yet... Every year the upperclassmen talked about the freshmen and how hard they work... You can't go through no off-season where the message is any different... 08 Glenn Cook was bragging about Spence, 09 the players were bragging about Mike James, 2010 we heard the same things in regards to young players who came in Hurns, Linder etc... They are still freshmen and we shouldnt put too much expectations on them... Too me the best group of potential freshmen to enroll (since 05) was the 08 group... I thought for a team with a number of freshmen that they performed good but eventually never evolved into what they could have... Too be honest, I do not see too many immediate contributors as the 08 class so I'm not going to say that thy're going to win the ACC this year...

Advertisement
I must have missed something. You're using youngsters such as Mike James, and Spence?

The 08 group you're mentioning was a bad, bad move on so many levels. We basically recruited an entire high school team. One that decided even before they came to the U that they were something special and surely as good as they were - all they had to do was show up! This is no comparison to the freshmen we have here now.

Did you just happen in at this page on this thread, or have you not been hearing what everyone's saying about this crew?

To use these examples, you're putting Clappy and Thousand-yard-Stare on the same recruiting level as Golden. Really?

First off, I'm not the one saying these guys are stronger than what we're accustomed to. That's coming from players, coaches, family, and the recruits themselves.

They haven't faced adversity? That's a BS attitude. You don't know these young men. You don't know what they've faced already just to get here. You don't know their progressions. You don't know their determinations - and THAT'S my point.

Sounds like either you or a family member was one of the 08 class - one big, major, humongous, frikkin' disappointment. Epic.

SOB. I just remembered. That first National Championship? Our Quarterback was a redshirt freshman.

****. How does that work?

Advertisement
Morris has started a grand total of 4 games. 4!

And people are already deciding that he stinks.

I am a big fan of Morris, but expectations are __________________________ . There is not much of a sample size of him. Many people forget that he was going to redshirt in 2010 but was unexpectedly thrown into the fire against UVA after injuries to Harris and Whipple. That is not how to groom a QB, tell him to learn the playbook and become accustomed to college only to then shove him into the game on the road, down by a lot.

Morris has displayed the following...The guy has a real nice arm, pretty accurate and has some wheels. Unlike Jacory (all the above) he also seems to understand the momentum of the game. I truly think against Kansas State last year, Morris gets into the endzone and wins the **** game. I think he is the difference maker on this team, if we win the ACC it will be because Morris had a pretty good season.

If Morris can be a good decision maker, he can beat up most of the ACC.

He only started 4 games because he couldn't beat out the all time interception leader in UM history. What does that say about Morris?

In response to the OP, what we have going for us is the ACC is horrible. What we have going against us is basically everything else. We won 6 games last year with a bunch of guys who will be playing on Sundays this year. How do you lose your best defensive player (Spence), best offensive player (Miller) and best receiver (Benjamin), replace them with freshmen, and expect to be better? I'd be surprised with 7 wins, very surprised with 8.

Last edited:

He only started 4 games because he couldn't beat out the all time interception leader in UM history. What does that say about Morris?

In response to the OP, what we have going for us is the ACC is horrible. What we have going against us is basically everything else. We won 6 games last year with a bunch of guys who will be playing on Sundays this year. How do you lose your best defensive player (Spence), best offensive player (Miller) and best receiver (Benjamin), replace them with freshmen, and expect to be better? I'd be surprised with 7 wins, very surprised with 8.

I hate frickin' logic! However, as you pointed out, the ACC is horrid, and we have a decent chance to beat most teams on our schedule.

Jacory also has the second most touchdowns thrown at UM and that is more than Kelly, Erickson, Walsh, Torreta, Testaverde and Kyle Wright. I don't know what to expect out of the kid Morris but I don't think many do either....writing him off (in general) is foolish. His freshman year he was groomed to red-shirt (regardless of whether it was right or wrong decision). Last year Jacory had his best season (although I am not a fan of his arm or game time demeanor)

2011 195 for 300 65.0% 2486 20TD 9INT (11 Games)

With Morris starting, should be interesting year.

Advertisement
Lol at you guys forgetting about Ryan Williams. I think Morris wins the job, but Williams is going to make it tough on him, IMHO.

Williams didn't look very accurate in the spring game. But then again every offensive player looked like **** in tht game. .

Advertisement
I must have missed something. You're using youngsters such as Mike James, and Spence?

The 08 group you're mentioning was a bad, bad move on so many levels. We basically recruited an entire high school team. One that decided even before they came to the U that they were something special and surely as good as they were - all they had to do was show up! This is no comparison to the freshmen we have here now.

Did you just happen in at this page on this thread, or have you not been hearing what everyone's saying about this crew?

To use these examples, you're putting Clappy and Thousand-yard-Stare on the same recruiting level as Golden. Really?

First off, I'm not the one saying these guys are stronger than what we're accustomed to. That's coming from players, coaches, family, and the recruits themselves.

They haven't faced adversity? That's a BS attitude. You don't know these young men. You don't know what they've faced already just to get here. You don't know their progressions. You don't know their determinations - and THAT'S my point.

Sounds like either you or a family member was one of the 08 class - one big, major, humongous, frikkin' disappointment. Epic.

SOB. I just remembered. That first National Championship? Our Quarterback was a redshirt freshman.

****. How does that work?

I understand the optimism, but I'm sorry you dont know these players either... Matter of fact you don't know anything about the former players... They all came here with the same ambition and showed promise but that promise never evolved into a championship for whatever reason... I'm so tired of our fan base giving assessments as if they knew these former players... That 08 class was putting in the same work these guys are doing now... I read articles how about how this wideout and that prospect was working hard for the same goal which is to bring UM back to prominence.... But for whatever reason that didnt happen... I'm not saying this class will have the same fate, all I'm saying is that we shouldnt bash the former players and act as if they didnt do the same thing... This isnt knew... That being said, throughout the criticism and ridicule, they still gave their all while playing here... No recruiting class is perfect... Golden will have his bad apples as well but you have to appreciate the players who remain and give their all...

There is nothing you are hearing this year that you didnt hear the years prior, so don't act like that... I root for the Canes as well, but for you to make assessments like "they're not what we are accustom to" is absurd... Google every Canes off-season for the past 6 years and you will read the same thing... What we are hearing now is the same thing we heard before... And my point has nothing to do with Golden being mentioned on the same level as Coker and Shannon (we're adults we can at least have a debate without using insults to identify former canes)... It's being realistic... We have been hearing the same thing for the past decade from the players, coaches, family and recruits...

I'm not related to anyone from the 08 class... I'm just a realistic adult cane fan... See I express my disappointment with the players but I'm not going to build them up to tear them down... And with this team isnt on the same level as that first NC squad... See thats my point...

I wasnt impressed with Williams this spring... If Morris is healthy he is the starter... Williams can later evolve into a better qb but he didnt show much with the limited plays he was given... He made a few good throws(as we all know the easy drop by Walford) but he also made a lot of bad throws... This is a healthy Morris job to lose... And Williams doesnt have that strong of a arm for a lot of the passes he was attempting...

This team has the potential to be awful. But has the potential to really surprise fans as well. I wouldn't be surprised by 8/9 wins and wouldn't be surprised by 4. If Seantrel does what he's capable of and we figure out who'll be the other OT the OL has a chance to really make the offense tough on defenses. Mike James can be good if he's not dodging guys in the backfield or having them grab at his ankles a yard before he gets to the line of scrimmage. Stephen Morris has shown he's good enough to win games against average teams. If we can beat the below average and average teams on the schedule that's about 6/7 wins right there. That's a big if since there always to be something that throws the plan off track. But if the defense just shows marginal improvement that's going to help us beat those average or worse teams. Thankfully we dont play in the SEC cause most of the teams in the conference will probably be in the average or worse category so things could really start looking good quick. and y'all know how far a little confidence can go. Have guys doing things they weren't expected to do.

Advertisement
The last two recruiting classes do NOT have the same ambition as the previous several years - not the recruits, not the coaches. It's one damned thing to say you want something - it's different to do the necessary work to deserve something. You put in the work, you expect the reward.

The 08 class did NOT put in the same effort as these youngsters are. The 08 class overall was weak. Weak, weak, weak. Weak coaching, weak program, weak in strength, weak in spirit, weak in performance, weak in expectation, and weak in performance. Thus our win/loss column.

You say 'for whatever reason that didn't happen.' The reason is ****poor preparation and thus ****poor execution. No. They did NOT give their all while playing here. We all watched them alternate taking plays off. We all saw them winded and running out of gas before the half. We all saw them stuffed consistently. We all saw them overrunning plays, couldn't tackle, couldn't stay home, couldn't even begin to take care of their assignment, couldn't figure out what in **** they were supposed to be doing. Looked like Pop Warner out there most games. Oh, we had a few that gave it all, but they couldn't carry the whole team.

And young man, do NOT assume what I heard the years prior. I used to drop by and watch the 'Canes practice under Schnellenberger. I saw the wind change direction. I saw the difference with just a few players that played above expectation - and they pulled everyone to play above expectation.

Without even one 'hero', all are common. All. Two, three, or more who play with determined abandon, and suddenly, the entire team is performing the impossible. Excellence feeds off excellence. Laying it all out and other team members feel the need to do no less. I've seen it. Schnellenberger knew that, JJ knew it, and so did ****erson. Butch knew it. These coaches all shared one commonality. They were leaders. Golden is a detailed leader, unlike Coker or Shannon. All they had to do was just barely turn the corner, find the handful of 'heroic' players to leaven the others, and then all the pieces fell into place.

That principle is as old as written history. Henry at Agincourt, Morgan at Cowpens, Chard at Rourke's Drift, Scipio at Zama, Martel at Tours, Philip in Boeotia. More up to date, in 1980, Danny Ford's Clemson team went 6-5, but won the National Championship in 1981. "Expectation is a great breeding ground for miracles."

There are so many other turnarounds like that - and I'm not saying we'll do the same thing, but I expect them to TRY and come a lot closer than in previous years. It's expected.

You are mistaken. You are NOT hearing the same thing heard before. Not by a damned sight.

I disagree with lauderdaleballer. Ultimately it is wins and losses that will tell the story, but the difference I see already between Golden's recruits and Shannon's recruits is that Shannon's recruits (particularly the MNW 2008 kids, minus Spence) came in with big egos and a big sense of entitlement. Like Shannon, those guys thought that Miami would win simply because we're Miami. They clearly didn't put in the work in the weight room. They clearly took plays off. They were clearly soft as ****.

I don't get that feeling at all from Golden's recruits.

I wasnt impressed with Williams this spring... If Morris is healthy he is the starter... Williams can later evolve into a better qb but he didnt show much with the limited plays he was given... He made a few good throws(as we all know the easy drop by Walford) but he also made a lot of bad throws... This is a healthy Morris job to lose... And Williams doesnt have that strong of a arm for a lot of the passes he was attempting...

I agree, Williams throws a below average ball. It comes out wobbly and takes awhile to reach the target. Williams had a good opportunity to demonstrate that he could lead the offense with Morris out and he didn't. I think it is Morris's job if healthy.

Advertisement
Back