Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
I don’t get this “hold on to Billy” nonsense. Are you guys really implying that uf will not only land a good coach, but then he’ll be able to fix that train wreck of a program? Be realistic. They aren’t committed to football, they make poor decisions at every turn…prime Saban couldn’t fix that mess.

I’m all for firing billy right now and watching the carnage. Don’t you guys remember how sweet it was listening to those fools try to convince themselves they’d landed a quality coach? Can’t wait to do that again.

Advertisement
Don’t know what he’s being taught there but he’s not a plug and play guy. He’s gonna take a year or two to develop.

it’ll be interesting re., recruiting of highly ranked QBs going forward. Do you invest a ton of NIL into a QB who might take 2 years to develop or might not develop at all or do you lowball the HS kid and save the money for a proven transfer? What is the hit rate on 5* QBs vs a 4* who can develop into a very good QB? Of course there are some guys coming in who are day 1 ready. Not talking about those guys.
But how do you know who is Day 1 ready?

Don’t know what he’s being taught there but he’s not a plug and play guy. He’s gonna take a year or two to develop.

it’ll be interesting re., recruiting of highly ranked QBs going forward. Do you invest a ton of NIL into a QB who might take 2 years to develop or might not develop at all or do you lowball the HS kid and save the money for a proven transfer? What is the hit rate on 5* QBs vs a 4* who can develop into a very good QB? Of course there are some guys coming in who are day 1 ready. Not talking about those guys.
The smart play is to invest in high upside high 3 star / low 4 star high school quarterbacks and use the portal when necessary if they don’t hit that upside threshold.

I don’t get this “hold on to Billy” nonsense. Are you guys really implying that uf will not only land a good coach, but then he’ll be able to fix that train wreck of a program? Be realistic. They aren’t committed to football, they make poor decisions at every turn…prime Saban couldn’t fix that mess.

I’m all for firing billy right now and watching the carnage. Don’t you guys remember how sweet it was listening to those fools try to convince themselves they’d landed a quality coach? Can’t wait to do that again.
Thank you man. Finally someone said some shvt I can relate to. Everybody else acting scary as ****.

Advertisement
That’s why if I was gonna NIL a player for millions it would be a transfer over a HS kid. At least against college level competition you have a comparison. HS, even those teams that play a national schedule it’s tough to evaluate jag/star.
It’s actually quite similar to NFL free agency. Except that a first round draft choice at quarterback is much less expensive than a Joe Burrows if he was to hit free agency.

In college the NIL investment - presently - would be fairly similar. So what do you do? $1.5M per year for at least two years on a top high school player where you have no idea how he will perform at a college level, or $1.7M on a top transfer portal QB?

Advertisement
It’s actually quite similar to NFL free agency. Except that a first round draft choice at quarterback is much less expensive than a Joe Burrows if he was to hit free agency.

In college the NIL investment - presently - would be fairly similar. So what do you do? $1.5M per year for at least two years on a top high school player where you have no idea how he will perform at a college level, or $1.7M on a top transfer portal QB?

Fair points.

I would love to be an NFL GM who snags an NFL starting QB every four years in the 7th round.

However, that's rarely what happens.

That's why we have free agency as well.

Whatever Florida’s NIL budget is, that’s the equivalent of their salary cap in NFL terms. They invested heavily in Lagway, so much so that they cannot likely pay for another top quarterback next year (they have no QB commitments for 2025). They also can’t really afford to devote resources to bring in a top level transfer QB next season either. So they have to hope that:

1. Lagway develops into the player that they need
2. Lagway does not get hurt, because they only have one other quarterback on the roster for 2025

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back