Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
I'm not convinced, head coaching job at today's UF is better than Ole Miss. Particularly in new world of CFB w/NIL and expanded playoffs

It isn't now that Ole Miss has been pouring real resources into the program. Kiffin signed a helluva class and is poised to stack another one.

What kills schools like UF is living in the rearview mirror. Ask us how we know.

Advertisement
Recruiting now is a greater percentage about money. Billy is a weirdo and they’ve recruited decently. Lane would go there for sure. Ole **** is a mid upper tier sec program but they never cared to be elite. Ufag wants to be that’s the difference
Idk man.. I've had some experience with him. UF can want to be elite all they want. But Lane doesn't have that kinda drive. Its hard to put into words just how few ***** he actually gives.

We had a guy committed to him during his chaos year at Tennessee. That mf'er would call us and say one thing, then tell us he had to go so he could do a interview. We'd watch the interview and he'd say the exact opposite of what he had just told us. Then he'd call us after the interview and act like he never gave the interview HE JUST TOLD US ABOUT.

lol I mean.. its funny looking back on it. But he doesn't take anything seriously. He's not a "put his heart and soul into it" kinda coach.

@Brooklyndee if Lane weren't Monte's son, you think he'd be a HC right now?

Idk man.. I've had some experience with him. UF can want to be elite all they want. But Lane doesn't have that kinda drive. Its hard to put into words just how few ***** he actually gives.

We had a guy committed to him during his chaos year at Tennessee. That mf'er would call us and say one thing, then tell us he had to go so he could do a interview. We'd watch the interview and he'd say the exact opposite of what he had just told us. Then he'd call us after the interview and act like he never gave the interview HE JUST TOLD US ABOUT.

lol I mean.. its funny looking back on it. But he doesn't take anything seriously. He's not a "put his heart and soul into it" kinda coach.

@Brooklyndee if Lane weren't Monte's son, you think he'd be a HC right now?
That's him to a TEE. If He wasn't montes son not a chance he's a head coach. More than likely he's not even a coach. Dudes not a football person at all. I'm not sure what he'd do if football wasn't it for him. To me he's Mike Leach 2.0 he would rather play golf or fish if it was up to him. Sarkysan is like that as well. 3 **** good offensive minds that are just blah on the approach to it all.

That's him to a TEE. If He wasn't montes son not a chance he's a head coach. More than likely he's not even a coach. Dudes not a football person at all. I'm not sure what he'd do if football wasn't it for him. To me he's Mike Leach 2.0 he would rather play golf or fish if it was up to him. Sarkysan is like that as well. 3 **** good offensive minds that are just blah on the approach to it all.
I bet that 2 year stretch at USC, when Lane was OC/WR and Sark was QB/AHC, was a wild ride. It needs to be turned into one of those FXX documentary dramas.

I bet that 2 year stretch at USC, when Lane was OC/WR and Sark was QB/AHC, was a wild ride. It needs to be turned into one of those FXX documentary dramas.
Sark has actually told me a few stories from those days & I know a few people that were in the program at the time as well. Definitely a made for TV movie. Sark comes down once a year in the off-season for a weekend with 3 of his childhood home boys and they always rent one of my houses to stay at. Dudes one funny *** dude. I've always wished we could've found a role for him here outside of as a head coach. What he's doing now he would've struggled heavily with elsewhere. It's sortve like with Mario far as the background stuff goes and it all just lines up. Not saying neither of them couldnt do it elsewhere as we've seen both have some success elsewhere. But to be optimized like that it's dependent on the lil pieces in my eyes

Advertisement
Sark has actually told me a few stories from those days & I know a few people that were in the program at the time as well. Definitely a made for TV movie. Sark comes down once a year in the off-season for a weekend with 3 of his childhood home boys and they always rent one of my houses to stay at. Dudes one funny *** dude. I've always wished we could've found a role for him here outside of as a head coach. What he's doing now he would've struggled heavily with elsewhere. It's sortve like with Mario far as the background stuff goes and it all just lines up. Not saying neither of them couldnt do it elsewhere as we've seen both have some success elsewhere. But to be optimized like that it's dependent on the lil pieces in my eyes
Yep. Timing can play huge role. Which takes us to Lane.

How you think he'll do at UF?

I would LOVE to ask Spurrier what thinks about him. I expect Lane will drive that arrogant mf'er up (and back down) a wall. Lane is gonna is get under his skin, UF is gonna tell him to back off, which will only make him twice as bad.

I've always joked that if it doesn't work out with Mario, we should hire Lane. Because at that point, the ship is sinking anyway and we might as well party on our way the to the bottom.

So I find it hilarious that UF (a sinking ship) would put Captain Stabbin in charge at a time when they need structure. What could go wrong?

@TheOriginalCane how do buyouts work? Even though the buyout is only 4.5m for kiffin he was just given a 4 year extension (max for miss state employees). Is it only 4.5m or is it 4.5 + whatever money is left on the 4 year extension?

Yep. Timing can play huge role. Which takes us to Lane.

How you think he'll do at UF?

I would LOVE to ask Spurrier what thinks about him. I expect Lane will drive that arrogant mf'er up (and back down) a wall. Lane is gonna is get under his skin, UF is gonna tell him to back off, which will only make him twice as bad.

I've always joked that if it doesn't work out with Mario, we should hire Lane. Because at that point, the ship is sinking anyway and we might as well party on our way the to the bottom.

So I find it hilarious that UF (a sinking ship) would put Captain Stabbin in charge at a time when they need structure. What could go wrong?
I don't see any difference in kiffin at ufag then kiffin at Ole ****. People think ole **** isn't committed to winning they apparently don't remember all the times they've been caught cheating. They're just reckless. But it's not cause they don't try. It's cause they're **** in Mississippi at the end of the day and kiffin puts no priority in high school recruiting. At ufag I can't do that. Would he be the rare old dog with a new trick or would he operate just like he is? I'd say how he is. We do know he wants a more high profile job. So ufag wouldn't surprise me

Advertisement
I don’t think he takes the job. He walks on water in Oxford, seems to have set roots down somewhere for once.

If they offer a big enough offer he could take it, but UF is a top to bottom rebuild. I’m not convinced Lane can’t recruit at the level needed to bring the back.

I don't see any difference in kiffin at ufag then kiffin at Ole ****. People think ole **** isn't committed to winning they apparently don't remember all the times they've been caught cheating. They're just reckless. But it's not cause they don't try. It's cause they're **** in Mississippi at the end of the day and kiffin puts no priority in high school recruiting. At ufag I can't do that. Would he be the rare old dog with a new trick or would he operate just like he is? I'd say how he is. We do know he wants a more high profile job. So ufag wouldn't surprise me
I agree… except at Ole **** he doesn’t have to beat UGA to keep his job. He could take 5-6 consecutive losses to UGA and rattle off 9-10 win seasons and be good. At FU that delusional fanbase would be calling for his head. Especially if he doesn’t sniff at a natty in the first 4-5 years because they’re entitled.

Surprised he turned down Auburn.

Advertisement
Oh he's taking that job if they offer it to him. He'll lie about it though. Dude will probably be on the phone telling Ole Miss he's staying, WHILE he's singing his UF contract.

His high school recruiting is a huge issue though. We (rightfully) clown FSU for focusing so heavily on the portal. The last 3 years in a row, Lane has signed more transfers than high school players. Nobody else has done that.

Or just like with Deion and his 11 player high school class. That's not a good way to build for the future. Well.. Lane only signed 16 high school players the same year Colorado signed 11.

@TheOriginalCane how do buyouts work? Even though the buyout is only 4.5m for kiffin he was just given a 4 year extension (max for miss state employees). Is it only 4.5m or is it 4.5 + whatever money is left on the 4 year extension?

A buyout and a payout are two different sides of the equation.

A BUYOUT is where a coach is under contract but has a chance at a better job with a bigger contract. All of these coaching contracts will have buyout language. The mechanics are that NEW SCHOOL provides the money TO THE NEW COACH so that he can buy HIMSELF out of his own prior contract. But New School is going to have to "gross the payment up" for payroll taxes, because if New School gave Kiffin $4M, he would only be left with a bit over $2M after federal income tax, state income tax, and Medicare (he is safely above the FICA wage base, so no more FICA). The short version is that if Kiffin's buyout is $4M, then New School will need to pay him closer to $6M to allow Kiffin to have the cash to pay his own buyout.

A PAYOUT is where you pay an unsuccessful coach to go away. Clearly, if you "guarantee" a coach 6 or 8 or 10 years, then IN THEORY you should just pay the full contract. Sometimes there are liquidated payouts that allow a school to pay a fraction of the "guaranteed" contract salary. Why would anyone do this? Well, because it allows Fired Coach to get another job and start working again. Life if short. If the Fired Coach INSISTED on getting his full contractual "guarantee", then the University could insist that he remain unemployed for the duration of the remaining contract. As for the payout, it could be structured as a lump sum (allows the University to be done with him), but a lot are structured as multi-year payouts, particularly if University is trying to insure that Fired Coach won't badmouth University on the way out. Occasionally, there are "set-off" provisions, so if Fired Coach takes a comparable job at comparable pay, then it reduces what Old University has to pay.

PS, the whole "Mississippi state employee" limitation does not apply here, it is my understanding that Ole Miss and Mississippi State have signed their top coaches (football, basketball, baseball) to contracts with their FOUNDATIONS, which are not state entities, and thus are not subject to the state law limitation on the length of contracts.

Advertisement
Back