2025 Flip Watch 2.0 Fong "Miami is Going to be Swinging a Big Spatula" (2025 Version)

Advertisement
Despite what we're all finally witnessing with Cam Ward, some here continue to seem absolutely desperate for the game manager surrounded by stacked talent formula at Miami despite seeing firsthand how much an elite gunslinging QB with top-end NFL tools can elevate the ceiling of our program.

Look at the eight highest-ranked teams in the AP Top 25 right now:

- Texas has Quinn Ewers (projected 1st rounder) and Arch Manning (5* recruit).
- Georgia has Carson Beck (projected 1st rounder).
- Ohio State has Will Howard. Some here inexplicably wanted Howard over Ward, but I digress.
- Alabama has Jalen Milroe (1st round potential with his physical tools if he keeps thriving with DeBoer).
- Tennessee has Nico Iamaleava (5* recruit).
- Ole Miss has Jaxson Dart (projected 1st rounder).
- Miami has Cam Ward (projected 1st rounder).
- Oregon has Dillon Gabriel.

OSU & Oregon are the outliers here as they're starting veterans from the portal who don't have an NFL future. Both programs have 5* QB's waiting in the wings (Sayin at OSU, Moore at Oregon) for next season.

If we land a whale out of the portal at QB for 2025 and Emory beats them out, then that's completely fair game. But to say or suggest "you gotta roll with Emory" and not even try to land a stud portal QB is utterly nonsensical.

Yes, It is possible to win with a game manager QB if stacked at the other positions, but it’s much easier to win with an elite qb, so why would you want a game manager? Money doesn’t seem to be a concern anymore, and we are living in the era of free agency. Pay for the best transfer QB. At the same time keep recruiting QBs. If one of them turns out to be elite, then hooray you don’t have to go out and get a transfer QB for a couple years.

Yes, It is possible to win with a game manager QB if stacked at the other positions, but it’s much easier to win with an elite qb, so why would you want a game manager? Money doesn’t seem to be a concern anymore, and we are living in the era of free agency. Pay for the best transfer QB. At the same time keep recruiting QBs. If one of them turns out to be elite, then hooray you don’t have to go out and get a transfer QB for a couple years.
I'm convinced at this point you spend 2M+ plus to have an elite qb each year. Easier to project outta the portal. More than worth the ROI if you have the roster to support.

Worst case, you're on espn top ten which helps with recruiting lol.

Advertisement
So are you guys attempting to say these other schools all intentionally wanted **** returns on their investments? Because most of those portal QBs this season look pretty average to flat out bad. We keep taking this approach we end up like norvell or Napier. Both were 5 star QBs that were basic in college at best. Not many QBs that were elite end up in the portal and the ones that do are gonna go wherever they want including the NFL. I think I guys are setting yourselfs up for failure

It's also a lil much to assume a QB with cams arm talent becomes available as well. Out of all those you mentioned I'd say the only ones playing at this level is cam,ewers ,Nico & maybe Manning. Past that none of those guys are on this level. What were witnessing this season can't be expected out of a transfer in his first year continuously. Otherwise you become Mike norvell and burn. Y'all just assume you know what Emory ceiling is. That's crazy when y'all haven't even seen him play a game he wasn't told exactly how to play.

Completely agree with your opening sentence. When a sizable contingent of posters were openly souring on how they perceived Cam to be leveraging his situation during the 12-day period between when he initially declared for the draft and later changed his mind, many others were making cases for the likes of Will Howard, Will Rogers, and Riley Leonard as comparably suitable alternatives. But I vehemently disagreed and was fully supportive of Mario's patience and persistence because Ward was so many levels above those other options. Mario being hellbent on landing Ward was 100% the right call all along because the potential rewards were off the charts, as we're all witnessing now.

I've also been one of the more vocal posters on the board opposing the premise some have been pushing the last few years that we should punt on HS QB recruiting entirely in favor of solely relying on the portal. Mario certainly isn't handling the position on an either-or basis, but some posters have been vocally advocating for that approach ever since the Rashada situation occurred. I agree completely that we can't expect a Ward-level option to emerge every year. The 2023 QB portal class was absolutely awful aside from Shedeur, who was never a viable option for any program other than the one coached by his father. Aside from Cam, most others in the 2024 QB portal class aren't looking so good either and none are remotely close to making the type of impact that he has had.

Among the QB's I specified, I'd respectfully include Milroe and Dart as legitimate difference makers who have been largely responsible for their team's success thus far. Whether they should be included alongside the names you singled out is completely subjective, but they're certainly carrying a sizable load rather than just going along for the ride. My main premise, though, is that Howard and Gabriel are far, far below the other QB's I mentioned.

This post is already a marathon, so I'll be brief in regards to Emory. I have no problem with anyone having a higher opinion of his potential than me. If he outplays a portal QB next offseason and outright wins the job, then I hope he kicks ***. But I'd hope it would be considered rational to not want us to follow up on what Ward is doing this year by having Emory "compete" with Poffenbarger and Judd next season. I think that's a completely fair stance.

Last edited:
So are you guys attempting to say these other schools all intentionally wanted **** returns on their investments? Because most of those portal QBs this season look pretty average to flat out bad. We keep taking this approach we end up like norvell or Napier. Both were 5 star QBs that were basic in college at best. Not many QBs that were elite end up in the portal and the ones that do are gonna go wherever they want including the NFL. I think I guys are setting yourselfs up for failure

I think some people are looking to the portal without elaborating why and I think the reason is because QB recruiting is the probably one recruiting position (setting aside the transfer of Cam) has been a weak link. Yes you can say we dodged bullets in hindsight but eliminating the 2022 recruiting class because Mario was only on campus for 2 months, in 2023 we zeroed in on Rashada. Funny games were played, I am not saying it was not an odd circumstance but you have results or reasons. We missed on him and got Emory. Maybe Emory has developed and he can play, that would be awesome, rooting for him but at this point the coaches know more than we do but we have yet to see him in a game not heavily scripted so I think there is a bit of an unknown, even for the coaches.

Following year they wanted Air Noland, again maybe he does not develop but we missed and got Judd. Same thing as Emory as far as development. Now this year I do really like Luke's tape and think he is a gamer, IDK about TF gamer however and Coleman keeps impressing but that is 2 years out. So QB is the one area I guess where the "stars" are not aligning which causes doubt which causes people to hit the default button which is fix it in the portal. I for one am really interested to see who is running the ship next year.

Completely agree with your opening sentence. When a sizable contingent of posters were openly souring on how they perceived Cam to be leveraging his situation during the 12-day period between when he initially declared for the draft and later changed his mind, many others were making cases for the likes of Will Howard, Will Rogers, and Riley Leonard as comparably suitable alternatives. But I vehemently disagreed and was fully supportive of Mario's patience and persistence because Ward was so many levels above those other options. Mario being hellbent on landing Ward was 100% the right call all along because the potential rewards were off the charts, as we're all witnessing now.

I've also been one of the more vocal posters on the board opposing the premise some have been pushing the last few years that we should punt on HS QB recruiting entirely in favor of solely relying on the portal. Mario certainly isn't handling the position on an either-or basis, but some posters have been vocally advocating for that approach ever since the Rashada situation occurred. I agree completely that we can't expect a Ward-level option to emerge every year. The 2023 QB portal class was absolutely awful aside from Shedeur, who was never a viable option for any program other than the one coached by his father. Aside from Cam, most others in the 2024 QB portal class aren't looking so good either and none are remotely close to making the type of impact that he has had.

Among the QB's I specified, I'd respectfully include Milroe and Dart as legitimate difference makers who have been largely responsible for their team's success thus far. Whether they should be included alongside the names you singled out is completely subjective, but they're certainly carrying a sizable load rather than just going along for the ride. My main premise, though, is that Howard and Gabriel are far, far below the other QB's I mentioned.

This post is already a marathon, so I'll be brief in regards to Emory. I have no problem with anyone having a higher opinion of his potential than me. If he outplays a portal QB next offseason and outright wins the job, then I hope he kicks ***. But I'd hope it would be considered rational to not want us to follow up on what Ward is doing this year by having Emory "compete" with Poffenbarger and Judd next season. I think that's a completely fair stance.
While I agree with every bit of this and engaged in the same arguments. I must warn ...
E67B9ED0-27AE-4601-9C03-5414456FB111.jpeg.jpg

Advertisement
👆👆👆
This right here.
The thought that a Cam Ward will be there for the taking every single year is absolutely insane!!

If you can find qb's who just have some arm strength and a little presence the OL's we will typically have are going to make everything and everyone look better. We just not only have a qb with those traits but he also just has a calmness about him because he is played 50 college games and has seen it all and played in every environment.

I don't use game manager. That's the coach. We've had a long line of Brucie types than anything. Emory may not pass your eval if eye test. No argument, I'm the jackrabbit that crowned more guys than I have been correct about. He's a poor man's Stephan Morris in my humble boy garbage take.

I don't dare say Kirby or one of the other poor ******** that flamed out hard.
Morris was a gunslinger - "**** it I'm going deep" kinda guy. (so was Harris, he just had a wet noodle)

We will get some portal QB in regardless because I don't believe poff will be here next year. However I don't believe it'll be some huge target unless it just falls in our lap. Because it's not an opinion that the staff feels very strongly towards Emory, that his teammates love that kid and would run through a wall for him. Those are facts. With that in mind we're not gonna offer just any transfer the job and big transfers want promises. We break those promises and we lose it all. Well get a transfer who can compete. But we'll see beyond that

Myself I'd take Gabriel over Milroe any day of the week. Milroe is a **** of a playmaker! But he's a **** quarterback. Everything he does is with his legs. That limits the offense.

Advertisement
We will get some portal QB in regardless because I don't believe poff will be here next year. However I don't believe it'll be some huge target unless it just falls in our lap. Because it's not an opinion that the staff feels very strongly towards Emory, that his teammates love that kid and would run through a wall for him. Those are facts. With that in mind we're not gonna offer just any transfer the job and big transfers want promises. We break those promises and we lose it all. Well get a transfer who can compete. But we'll see beyond that

Myself I'd take Gabriel over Milroe any day of the week. Milroe is a **** of a playmaker! But he's a **** quarterback. Everything he does is with his legs. That limits the offense.
Did the staff feel strongly about Tyler? I have not seen Mario make the same mistake twice. That is commendable.

Not sure what portal qb we would even target in the portal. Not sure many on this list would have eligibility or be open to returning. So more than likely we would have to be targeting more of a younger guy…

@Memnon you have a deep knowledge of every player in the country, and clearly prefer the “gunslinger/creater” type of QB, so what 5 or so QBs would you be keeping an eye on as hopefully entering in the portal this offseason?

To me, if we are going with a “game manager” type, I really wouldn’t be surprised to just see us rock with Emory and just go for the best portal WR or two we can, and continued focus on Defense in portal.

But as far as other guys, I’d imagine Fifita is the most noteworthy guy that could portal given McMillan is likely to declare. Pavia is doing well at Vandy but not sure he’s a very good passer. Brendan Sorsby has been decent out of Cinci and was one of the better performers as a frosh last year. Alonzo Barnett from JMU went off against UNC, Salter still playing well at Liberty. Gio Lopez is doing well at South Alabama…

We’d probably have to target a young guy that is extremely talented that isn’t really proven like potentially a Lagway or something…

I think chances are Emory is the guy next year.

Advertisement
@Memnon you have a deep knowledge of every player in the country, and clearly prefer the “gunslinger/creater” type of QB, so what 5 or so QBs would you be keeping an eye on as hopefully entering in the portal this offseason?

To me, if we are going with a “game manager” type, I really wouldn’t be surprised to just see us rock with Emory and just go for the best portal WR or two we can, and continued focus on Defense in portal.

But as far as other guys, I’d imagine Fifita is the most noteworthy guy that could portal given McMillan is likely to declare. Pavia is doing well at Vandy but not sure he’s a very good passer. Brendan Sorsby has been decent out of Cinci and was one of the better performers as a frosh last year. Alonzo Barnett from JMU went off against UNC, Salter still playing well at Liberty. Gio Lopez is doing well at South Alabama…

We’d probably have to target a young guy that is extremely talented that isn’t really proven like potentially a Lagway or something…

I think chances are Emory is the guy next year.
Dylan Raiola
John Mateer
Josh Hoover
Behren Morton
Seth Henigan (if he doesn't declare)
Darian Mensah
JC French
Maverick McIvor
Derek Robertson

Dylan Raiola
John Mateer
Josh Hoover
Behren Morton
Darian Mensah
JC French
Maverick McIvor
Derek Robertson
Henigan is a 4th year senior and started college after COVID. Unless he just red shirts now, how would he still have eligibility left? Is there a rule I’m missing?

Dylan Raiola
John Mateer
Josh Hoover
Behren Morton
Darian Mensah
JC French
Maverick McIvor
Derek Robertson
I can't imagine Raiola would leave Nebraska at this point with family on staff. I mean I'd absolutely take him... Henigan going pro imo. If Not I was saying we should target him last offseason tbh. He put up some nice stats.

Mateer would be funny to get two WSU Qbs. Hoover is doing really well at TCU and Dykes has done pretty well with QBs.

You think Weigman is just done? or was he playing so bad due to injury? I liked what I had seen from him when we played them last year. As a FR+So his stats were pretty **** good at 16 TDs (6.4%), 2 INTs (0.8%), 1,875 YDS (8.39 Adjusted Y/A)... Cause he seems like he could be done at A&M.

Advertisement
Back