2025 Flip Watch 2.0 Fong "Miami is Going to be Swinging a Big Spatula" (2025 Version)

Despite what we're all finally witnessing with Cam Ward, some here continue to seem absolutely desperate for the game manager surrounded by stacked talent formula at Miami despite seeing firsthand how much an elite gunslinging QB with top-end NFL tools can elevate the ceiling of our program.

Look at the eight highest-ranked teams in the AP Top 25 right now:

- Texas has Quinn Ewers (projected 1st rounder) and Arch Manning (5* recruit).
- Georgia has Carson Beck (projected 1st rounder).
- Ohio State has Will Howard. Some here inexplicably wanted Howard over Ward, but I digress.
- Alabama has Jalen Milroe (1st round potential with his physical tools if he keeps thriving with DeBoer).
- Tennessee has Nico Iamaleava (5* recruit).
- Ole Miss has Jaxson Dart (projected 1st rounder).
- Miami has Cam Ward (projected 1st rounder).
- Oregon has Dillon Gabriel.

OSU & Oregon are the outliers here as they're starting veterans from the portal who don't have an NFL future. Both programs have 5* QB's waiting in the wings (Sayin at OSU, Moore at Oregon) for next season.

If we land a whale out of the portal at QB for 2025 and Emory beats them out, then that's completely fair game. But to say or suggest "you gotta roll with Emory" and not even try to land a stud portal QB is utterly nonsensical.

Hang this in the louvre.

Advertisement
He didn't mention him. I also don't believe his game is as well rounded as cams. I have my questions on how much success either of them will have in the NFL but that's not relevant to this discussion.
If it was just Shedeur, and not the entourage and that whole package, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

You are right, he’s got a live, live arm and he can run, but he doesn’t have Cam’s vision in running the ball.
Speaking of Cam, he’s polar opposite from “cool” Cam, he runs hot, very fiery.

He knows he has a strong arm and he’s not afraid to try and put the ball in very tight spaces. I’d like to see him be a bit more patient and work the pocket a bit more because that can allow better windows to develop.

You put our line in front of him and continue to put playmakers around him and he would light it up. He’s still relatively raw, as he didn’t start at QB until the last 1/3 of his junior year (that’s a story) and he missed a few games as a senior too. So this is just his 3rd year of playing. You can see that in his improvement year over year.

I missed the 2nd half of their meltdown against Pitt, so not sure what happened there.
I think we'd be looking for another 1 and done QB with a lot of experience.

Ward's biggest attribute is that he's seen it all before, behind a worse OLine and with less talent around him, so the game is easy for him at the moment.

Also I feel sorry for teams like Cincinnati - they've found a QB and bigger teams are circling to get him to transfer. It must suck as a coach.

Advertisement
It's also a lil much to assume a QB with cams arm talent becomes available as well. Out of all those you mentioned I'd say the only ones playing at this level is cam,ewers ,Nico & maybe Manning. Past that none of those guys are on this level. What were witnessing this season can't be expected out of a transfer in his first year continuously. Otherwise you become Mike norvell and burn. Y'all just assume you know what Emory ceiling is. That's crazy when y'all haven't even seen him play a game he wasn't told exactly how to play.
Agree with everything there. For further context, of all the experienced portal qbs last year, who has been able to come in and make a difference?

Cam - Check
Gabriel - yeah? Doesn’t feel like he’s elevated the team though.
McCord - yeah
DJU - yeah!!!

KJ - meh
Will Howard - meh
Leonard - meh
Will Rogers - meh

Van Dyke - nah
McCall - nah
Max Johnson - nah

That’s not a good hit rate for transfer qbs with experience. All the other transfers were inexperienced (Dante, Malachi, Vandagriff, Rashada, even Sorsby). We aren’t about to roll the dice on some inexperienced guy next year, with the possible exception of Lagway, if I’m to believe that possibility. And even then they may not be guaranteed anything if Emory still here.

And I’m not saying Emory is the annoited one for next year. All I know is that he will be in his 3rd year in this system and that will allow him to be very comfortable in understanding what the coaches want from him, Your last sentence is almost exactly why I expect him to be a strong contender unless we hit the jackpot again. Wouldn’t surprise me if the pool of experienced qbs in the next portal season is much more shallow.

Go right back to the well and get John Mateer.

Underrecruited Wazzou QB from Texas.

It’s really interesting how much he looks like Cam Ward in his play style.

Plus athlete who can kill you scrambling and on select QB runs, but even when his feet are moving, he’s looking downfield to pass first.

He’s gonna transfer and ball out somewhere. Hoping that somewhere is Coral Gables.

Plus athlete who can kill you scrambling and on select QB runs, but even when his feet are moving, he’s looking downfield to pass first.

He’s gonna transfer and ball out somewhere. Hoping that somewhere is Coral Gables.

Honestly would like that, and he is MUCH more mobile than Cam. I think that’d be an easy sell too. He is going to put up numbers at Wazzu this year. So far, I like him and Sorsby as potential options for us next year.

Why not when we'll have a championship roster on both sides of the ball in the ACC!

Cam keeps balling the way he does Peyton and Eli may tell Sark to F*** off, bubble wrap Archie, and ship him here as a one year rental before he goes to the league the way our line has been in pass pro ...(I kid I kid 👀)
Well Miller Moss is going to the NFL after this year more than likely

Advertisement
Hang this in the louvre.
Next to Emory's portrait orrrrr?
Friends Lol GIF by Max

It's also a lil much to assume a QB with cams arm talent becomes available as well. Out of all those you mentioned I'd say the only ones playing at this level is cam,ewers ,Nico & maybe Manning. Past that none of those guys are on this level. What were witnessing this season can't be expected out of a transfer in his first year continuously. Otherwise you become Mike norvell and burn. Y'all just assume you know what Emory ceiling is. That's crazy when y'all haven't even seen him play a game he wasn't told exactly how to play.

This. And I keep saying that Cam is a once in a lifetime portal QB. 4 year starter because of COVID - you'll never get a guy like that again in the portal.

My preference is to get a guy for 2 years rather than a one year rental. But, I get the desire to get a one year guy - don't want to scare off too many QBs on your roster especially if that one year rental is not a bonafide stud like Cam.

I do like to see how Emory continues to develop but his skill set is not a guy who takes you to 11+ wins. He's limited physically and I'll maintain that to make a run, you need a guy adept at running as well. All those guys mentioned in the earlier post have that.

this.

John Parker Wilson and AJ Mccaron guided alabama and they weren't elite. Emory surrounded by elite skill guys and OL can be very good
If we are being honest. Tim Tebow was a fantastic athlete but was an average QB. He was surrounded by NFL talent which is why he look good in college. I think Emory could be like maybe Dorsey if he was surrounded by NFL talent

Advertisement
You guys realize we could potentially lose all of the following players right?

Barrow
Mesidor
Clark
Cook
Alston
Kiko
Alderman
Wes
DPJ
Powell
Ward
Martinez
Rivers
Carpenter
Restrepo
George
Brown
Arroyo

…you want to bank on a game manager QB when we lose 90% of our best players?

This fanbase is stuck in 7-5 land.

Ask yourself this: has Oregon, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Penn State, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma, LSU etc. trusted a game manager QB the following year?

That’s the level we should consider ourselves at. Some of those schools pursued 5-star QB talent in the portal to simply sit a year!

You go after whatever positions will make the team better. Emory Williams would not sniff the starting job at any of the schools I just mentioned, that’s a fact.

In fact, he’s not QB2 at minimum half those schools.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Barrow
Mesidor
Clark
Cook
Alston
Kiko
Alderman
Wes
DPJ
Powell
Ward
Martinez
Rivers
Carpenter
Restrepo
George
Brown
Arroyo

Ask yourself this: has Oregon, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Penn State, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma, LSU etc. trusted a game manager QB the following year?

That’s the level we should consider ourselves at. Some of those schools pursued 5-star QB talent in the portal to simply sit a year!

You go after whatever positions will make the team better. Emory Williams would not sniff the starting job at any of the schools I just mentioned, that’s a fact.

In fact, he’s not be QB2 at minimum half those schools.
Not Wes.

Agree with everything there. For further context, of all the experienced portal qbs last year, who has been able to come in and make a difference?

Cam - Check
Gabriel - yeah? Doesn’t feel like he’s elevated the team though.
McCord - yeah
DJU - yeah!!!

KJ - meh
Will Howard - meh
Leonard - meh
Will Rogers - meh

Van Dyke - nah
McCall - nah
Max Johnson - nah

That’s not a good hit rate for transfer qbs with experience. All the other transfers were inexperienced (Dante, Malachi, Vandagriff, Rashada, even Sorsby). We aren’t about to roll the dice on some inexperienced guy next year, with the possible exception of Lagway, if I’m to believe that possibility. And even then they may not be guaranteed anything if Emory still here.

And I’m not saying Emory is the annoited one for next year. All I know is that he will be in his 3rd year in this system and that will allow him to be very comfortable in understanding what the coaches want from him, Your last sentence is almost exactly why I expect him to be a strong contender unless we hit the jackpot again. Wouldn’t surprise me if the pool of experienced qbs in the next portal season is much more shallow.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Barrow
Mesidor
Clark
Cook
Alston
Kiko
Alderman
Wes
DPJ
Powell
Ward
Martinez
Rivers
Carpenter
Restrepo
George
Brown
Arroyo

In fact, he’s not be QB2 at minimum half those schools.

Brown?

I don't think many people are saying "I'm good with Emory next year." Virtually everyone acknowledges that we need a stud QB in the portal again. Not sure who this is aimed at - overwhelming number of folks in this thread support going after a portal QB. 2026 is a different discussion and to me, the more interesting debate.

Advertisement
Back