2025 Flip Watch 2.0 Fong "Miami is Going to be Swinging a Big Spatula" (2025 Version)

Despite what we're all finally witnessing with Cam Ward, some here continue to seem absolutely desperate for the game manager surrounded by stacked talent formula at Miami despite seeing firsthand how much an elite gunslinging QB with top-end NFL tools can elevate the ceiling of our program.

Look at the eight highest-ranked teams in the AP Top 25 right now:

- Texas has Quinn Ewers (projected 1st rounder) and Arch Manning (5* recruit).
- Georgia has Carson Beck (projected 1st rounder).
- Ohio State has Will Howard. Some here inexplicably wanted Howard over Ward, but I digress.
- Alabama has Jalen Milroe (1st round potential with his physical tools if he keeps thriving with DeBoer).
- Tennessee has Nico Iamaleava (5* recruit).
- Ole Miss has Jaxson Dart (projected 1st rounder).
- Miami has Cam Ward (projected 1st rounder).
- Oregon has Dillon Gabriel.

OSU & Oregon are the outliers here as they're starting veterans from the portal who don't have an NFL future. Both programs have 5* QB's waiting in the wings (Sayin at OSU, Moore at Oregon) for next season.

If we land a whale out of the portal at QB for 2025 and Emory beats them out, then that's completely fair game. But to say or suggest "you gotta roll with Emory" and not even try to land a stud portal QB is utterly nonsensical.
We tried the whole just go what with what we have approach in 2022 and 2023. Fans seem to remember the Tyler Van Dyke era differently.

Advertisement
Emory can definitely be a mac jones type
I never understood the board's use of the word "type".

Mac Jones was absolutely lights out his last year in college, and played really well behind Tua. 4500 yards, 41 TDs, and 4 INTs and a first round pick...Emory is that...type?

Don't get me wrong, I want him to stick around and compete, but I would s--- while jumping for joy if his production resembles Mac Jones.

I want a bridge between Ward and Nickel. If Ward wins the Heisman, we make the CFP and he goes top 10, Mario should be able to name his price with whatever QB in the portal. Not sure who the options are this far away from the offseason, but any recruit would be foolish not to come here.

Advertisement

Mac Jones was absolutely lights out his last year in college, and played really well behind Tua. 4500 yards, 41 TDs, and 4 INTs and a first round pick...Emory is that...type?

Don't get me wrong, I want him to stick around and compete, but I would s--- while jumping for joy if his production resembles Mac Jones.

They probably think of the NFL Mac when they see that name and forgot about his production while at Alabama.

I'm guilty of that. I see Mac Jones on the board and I picture a man walking like stone cold Steve Austin down the aisle on draft day and playing like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite on Sundays in a New England Patriots helmet 😅

Mac wasn’t the truck pulling the trailer of that team. He was the trailer. I’d take that production but realistically any average college QB would’ve done that production with that offensive firepower.

Oh man I’d LOVE to hear your perspective then

To me he’s got a big arm and he can run well. But it’s kinda hard to follow these guys around from stop to stop and really get an accurate picture

I remember him playing baseball and I have always thought highly of coaching at places like Indiana and Cincinnati
You are right, he’s got a live, live arm and he can run, but he doesn’t have Cam’s vision in running the ball.
Speaking of Cam, he’s polar opposite from “cool” Cam, he runs hot, very fiery.

He knows he has a strong arm and he’s not afraid to try and put the ball in very tight spaces. I’d like to see him be a bit more patient and work the pocket a bit more because that can allow better windows to develop.

You put our line in front of him and continue to put playmakers around him and he would light it up. He’s still relatively raw, as he didn’t start at QB until the last 1/3 of his junior year (that’s a story) and he missed a few games as a senior too. So this is just his 3rd year of playing. You can see that in his improvement year over year.

I missed the 2nd half of their meltdown against Pitt, so not sure what happened there.

John Parker Wilson and AJ Mccaron guided alabama and they weren't elite. Emory surrounded by elite skill guys and OL can be very good

Advertisement
You are right, he’s got a live, live arm and he can run, but he doesn’t have Cam’s vision in running the ball.

He knows he has a strong arm and he’s not afraid to try and put the ball in very tight spaces. I’d like to see him be a bit more patient and work the pocket a bit more because that can allow better windows to develop.

You put our line in front of him and continue to put playmakers around him and he would light it up. He’s still relatively raw, as he didn’t start at QB until the last 1/3 of his junior year (that’s a story) and he missed a few games as a senior too. So this is just his 3rd year of playing. You can see that in his improvement year over year.

I missed the 2nd half of their meltdown against Pitt, so not sure what happened there.
Man I appreciate this!

Yeah first things first lemme just say I don’t know that anyone can replace Cam. At least not at the moment. Its tough to find guys with multiple years of eligibility left as well, so not sure who would be available to us though. He’s got a nice trajectory though where he’s taking a step forward each year which is neat to see.

Mac wasn’t the truck pulling the trailer of that team. He was the trailer. I’d take that production but realistically any average college QB would’ve done that production with that offensive firepower.

A lot of firepower on that team for sure, but we've seen teams (last year?) with weapons falter due to poor QB play.

I think you're all forgetting how well Jones played that season. He was far from an average QB and the NFL agreed. I think his NFL career may be skewing this, but to take your premise - Emory would have put up those numbers if inserted? I see no evidence of that.

But like I said, I'd be thrilled if he turned into a stud.

John Parker Wilson and AJ Mccaron guided alabama and they weren't elite. Emory surrounded by elite skill guys and OL can be very good
Which is a very different argument and I agree he can be good. I hope you're right on the "very" part. I'm rooting for him.

Advertisement
Emory's ceiling is most likely Greg McElroy, a game manager. You don't have to watch practices to see that. He will be in contention for sure... he's no shoe-in to start next year. We'll be in the portal again until Nickel/Coleman develops and or they hit on a big-time recruit.
Oh I think we'll definitely attack the Portal again for a starting QB (we'd be mad not to if we can pick up a game changer like Ward again), but I think you're underselling Williams somewhat.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Which is a very different argument and I agree he can be good. I hope you're right on the "very" part. I'm rooting for him.
Dare I say Emory just needs to be somewhat Dorsey like? He doesn't need to be a top 5 pick. Just protect the ball and put your skill guys in position.

Emory has been developing! He's learning under Cam, and it would be year 3 with Dawson. You gotta roll with him and develop Nickel then Coleman after. Can't keep going for a stud portal QB because potential QB recruits will be put off by them always getting a portal guy. The same people on here saying Nickel is under the radar elite will also say we need a portal qb to play over him. I trust Mario and Dawson developing Emory!
If there’s another difference maker like Ward out there you get him. If you can’t see the importance of a guy who’s been battle tested and how they impact a program then I don’t know if you ever will. It’s about winning.

Advertisement
Despite what we're all finally witnessing with Cam Ward, some here continue to seem absolutely desperate for the game manager surrounded by stacked talent formula at Miami despite seeing firsthand how much an elite gunslinging QB with top-end NFL tools can elevate the ceiling of our program.

Look at the eight highest-ranked teams in the AP Top 25 right now:

- Texas has Quinn Ewers (projected 1st rounder) and Arch Manning (5* recruit).
- Georgia has Carson Beck (projected 1st rounder).
- Ohio State has Will Howard. Some here inexplicably wanted Howard over Ward, but I digress.
- Alabama has Jalen Milroe (1st round potential with his physical tools if he keeps thriving with DeBoer).
- Tennessee has Nico Iamaleava (5* recruit).
- Ole Miss has Jaxson Dart (projected 1st rounder).
- Miami has Cam Ward (projected 1st rounder).
- Oregon has Dillon Gabriel.

OSU & Oregon are the outliers here as they're starting veterans from the portal who don't have an NFL future. Both programs have 5* QB's waiting in the wings (Sayin at OSU, Moore at Oregon) for next season.

If we land a whale out of the portal at QB for 2025 and Emory beats them out, then that's completely fair game. But to say or suggest "you gotta roll with Emory" and not even try to land a stud portal QB is utterly nonsensical.
It's also a lil much to assume a QB with cams arm talent becomes available as well. Out of all those you mentioned I'd say the only ones playing at this level is cam,ewers ,Nico & maybe Manning. Past that none of those guys are on this level. What were witnessing this season can't be expected out of a transfer in his first year continuously. Otherwise you become Mike norvell and burn. Y'all just assume you know what Emory ceiling is. That's crazy when y'all haven't even seen him play a game he wasn't told exactly how to play.

A lot of firepower on that team for sure, but we've seen teams (last year?) with weapons falter due to poor QB play.

I think you're all forgetting how well Jones played that season. He was far from an average QB and the NFL agreed. I think his NFL career may be skewing this, but to take your premise - Emory would have put up those numbers if inserted? I see no evidence of that.

But like I said, I'd be thrilled if he turned into a stud.
I’m as much of a homer as the next guy, but Dawson ain’t Sark. Restrepo ain’t D Smith or Waddle. We didn’t have a Harris at RB.

Now the question of is Emory ready today? Like Mac was probably not. But Mac was a fourth year guy that year. If Emory sat in that system for four years, yea. He’d absolutely do those numbers.

It's also a lil much to assume a QB with cams arm talent becomes available as well. Out of all those you mentioned I'd say the only ones playing at this level is cam,ewers ,Nico & maybe Manning. Past that none of those guys are on this level. What were witnessing this season can't be expected out of a transfer in his first year continuously. Otherwise you become Mike norvell and burn. Y'all just assume you know what Emory ceiling is. That's crazy when y'all haven't even seen him play a game he wasn't told exactly how to play.
Shedeur

Advertisement
Back