FLETCHER IS A FULL GO!! (updated, apologies)

This is one of the more bizarre Mario narratives to me that is spread incessantly. He's got his knocks and things to hate on, but trying to make the team tough and physical? Yea, a little better than having a team huddled around the heaters with sleeves on anytime the temp drops below 50 degrees.
What you posted has merit but that isn't why people bash him for "Tuff N' Fyzicul". They bash him using that tagline because of his maddening propensity to slow everything down to a crawl therefore allowing less talented teams to stay within striking range thus allowing for a practically infinite number of slapstick type endings to games. These are made possible because of his penchant for bone headed coaching decisions including but not limited to botched clock management, his bizarre use/misuse of timeouts and little details like forgetting to or not wanting to take a knee to close out a sure win.

Not saying this to bash him gratuitously, but to point out that "Tuff N' Fyzicul " is something he has 100% earned on his own.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Still not buying it, sorry.

Will gladly be wrong as that would give us two legit RBs able to take hits, with speedsters waiting for touches against tired and backup front 7’s.

October at the earliest for actual impact remains my take.
still better than early on reports. Throwing him out against UF likely not wise so let him heal, we should not need him for the rest of the month of September, maybe get him some carries against USF at the end of Sept to get used to taking hits then have him ready for ACC play in early October. Seems to make the most sense.

Edit: Also with Mario the "we expect him to be full speed" is what I take as he can practice without limitations, he did mention though he would need time to get into game shape so him being medically cleared to play and physically ready to play are two different things with Mario it seems.

Advertisement
How anyone places faith in what Mario says re: injury news when he has a media ban on reporting on injuries, uses qualifiers to discuss availability of players, and the 52 Fake Out calls regarding players returning from injury since arriving here (see, e.g., Zion and Trevonte) is beyond me.

I will believe Mark Fletcher is game ready when I see Mark Fletcher play in a game.

If he’s able to get 8-10 carries against Florida that is so huge for us. I still feel like this is a ‘healthy scratch’ and he plays week 3-4 but I’m hoping he gets in he’s a joy to watch run
i would rather the 8-10 carries go to C johnson
and just feed martinez 25+ times
martinez is fletcher 3.0 with actual vision and wiggle

Advertisement
How anyone places faith in what Mario says re: injury news when he has a media ban on reporting on injuries, uses qualifiers to discuss availability of players, and the 52 Fake Out calls regarding players returning from injury since arriving here (see, e.g., Zion and Trevonte) is beyond me.

I will believe Mark Fletcher is game ready when I see Mark Fletcher play in a game.
Mario? Who cares what Mario said? This is about what @ageezy said.. and @ageezy said Fletcher is a full go.

Mario wears @ageezy underoos

Advertisement
Really big deal. Been diving in some with a friend in the analytics space and we looked into some splits of Martinez and Fletcher.

Martinez splits (in terms of YPC) his first year by quarter showed he was his best in the 4th, then 3rd, then 1st, then 2nd. Basically got stronger as the game went on.

Then last year he was his best in the 1st averaging over 8 YPC and progressively got worse into the 4th where he barely averaged 3 YPC.

Fletcher was by far at his best in the 3rd quarter at 7 YPC and then was at 4.2 in the 4th, 4.0 in the 1st, and then 3.6 in the 2nd. At his best in the 2nd half.

Ajay Allen was also a better 2nd half runner. Spelling each other and staying fresh, especially with the main 2 at 225-230 pounds and an OL that averages 330 pounds 7-8-9 deep.... I'm really not sure how anyone stops it. Doesn't even add in the possibility of having to chase a 10.3 100M track guy to the sideline or in space a couple times a game.

We were 20th in the country in YPC in 2023 at 5.0 with a pretty average backfield. Add in a much more mobile QB. Not sure how this team wouldn't sit around 5.6-6.0 YPC. That would be easily top 4-5 in the country.

Really big deal. Been diving in some with a friend in the analytics space and we looked into some splits of Martinez and Fletcher.

Martinez splits (in terms of YPC) his first year by quarter showed he was his best in the 4th, then 3rd, then 1st, then 2nd. Basically got stronger as the game went on.

Then last year he was his best in the 1st averaging over 8 YPC and progressively got worse into the 4th where he barely averaged 3 YPC.

Fletcher was by far at his best in the 3rd quarter at 7 YPC and then was at 4.2 in the 4th, 4.0 in the 1st, and then 3.6 in the 2nd. At his best in the 2nd half.

Ajay Allen was also a better 2nd half runner. Spelling each other and staying fresh, especially with the main 2 at 225-230 pounds and an OL that averages 330 pounds 7-8-9 deep.... I'm really not sure how anyone stops it. Doesn't even add in the possibility of having to chase a 10.3 100M track guy to the sideline or in space a couple times a game.

We were 20th in the country in YPC in 2023 at 5.0 with a pretty average backfield. Add in a much more mobile QB. Not sure how this team wouldn't sit around 5.6-6.0 YPC. That would be easily top 4-5 in the country.
not a diss at all here - agree with you that we need fletch and he's huge for us.

Martinez "got worse" last year because of DJU. He was basically hucking it around for incompletions all year and Martinez had to bail him out time and time again into heavy fronts and just got more beat up last year.
Previous year the Beavs were a much more balanced attack/team and he didn't get slaughtered all game by inept QB play.

This is the reason imo the Noles are in for a very rude awakening

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back