FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

Advertisement
Not sure if anyone actually read the complaint but here is my understanding (as I read it quickly on the subway):

For the sake of the obvious, we're University 7. Also, these are pages 25-29 of the link below.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download

------------------

1. Sometime in August 2017, the allegations begin.

2. Two defendants began talking on a wire-tap about paying a 2018 Recruit ("2018 Recruit").

3. These defendants were to pay the recruit $150K in order to ensure a commitment of a 2018 Recruit to Miami. Then, down the line, the 2018 Recruit would sign with these defendants (Sports Agent).

4. The wire-tap catches the defendants and none of the Miami coaches. [The complaint doesn't name the coach, so we will call him Coach X]

5. These defendants were recorded saying the following (about Coach X):

- "Coach X Knows Everything."
- Coach X "knows something gotta happen for it get done."

6. On an August 11th phone call, these defendants discussed that Coach X requested a payment of $150K to be made to 2018 recruit in order to prevent said player from going to another school.

7. On another August phone call (possibly the 6th) the defendants discuss using the same payment structure that was used to get the commitment for another player to another school. This player and school is not us. They're just discussing using that method.

8. On another phone call this unknown August day, another university was offering 2018 Recruit $150K. The defendants were discussing how they could keep him at Miami and prevent him from going to another school.

9. On August 12th, there is a phone call about timing the payment to 2018 Recruit. They discuss that if the other university pays the full $150K, that is where the 2018 Recruit will go. The defendants then mention the following "I think they do 150 if, if Coach X stayed on it."

By Coach X, do you mean "Coach 3"?

Yes.

Upon a re-read, "Coach 3" is not caught on the wire tap. The allegations against Coach 3 are made by the defendants to each other.

I never said he was caught on tape.

Who's to say the defendants didn't make up the stuff about Coach 3

Why would they lie in a private conversation they didn't know wasn't being recorded?

Your right. Nobody has ever lied in a private conversation.

Do you lack comprehension skills? It was a wire tap.

Why would two men who have no reason to believe anyone else is privy to what they're saying lie about illegal activities to each other? For ***** and giggles?

Who's to say the defendants didn't make up the stuff about Coach 3

Why would they lie in a private conversation they didn't know wasn't being recorded?

Your right. Nobody has ever lied in a private conversation.

Do you lack comprehension skills? It was a wire tap.

Why would two men who have no reason to believe anyone else is privy to what they're saying lie about illegal activities to each other? For ****s and giggles?

I understand your awful point. I am saying people lie in private conversations (regardless of being taped or not). I can't believe you're unaware of people lying about illegal activities either. Naming a random person (Coach from Miami) doesn't change anything about the actual crime.

Coach three might stay out of jail, but it's tough to imagine University 7 not getting penalized. The NCAA loves ******* University 7.

We all knew basketball recruiting is a cesspool and now it is getting exposed. Apparel company reps and assistant coaches all over the country are probably a little nervous right now.

Advertisement
Bilas, who also is a lawyer. said on Finebaum a few minutes ago, that soliciting funds for a player, especially one who arrives at your school, is an NCAA infraction that accrues also to the head coach. This was said in the context of University 6 which is Lousiville. He said that that allegation was the worst in the college cases. If there is a coach 3, and he made the request and it is proved, he will be fired and probably be given a show cause. Program implications are unknown.

Not sure if anyone actually read the complaint but here is my understanding (as I read it quickly on the subway):

For the sake of the obvious, we're University 7. Also, these are pages 25-29 of the link below.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download

------------------

1. Sometime in August 2017, the allegations begin.

2. Two defendants began talking on a wire-tap about paying a 2018 Recruit ("2018 Recruit").

3. These defendants were to pay the recruit $150K in order to ensure a commitment of a 2018 Recruit to Miami. Then, down the line, the 2018 Recruit would sign with these defendants (Sports Agent).

4. The wire-tap catches the defendants and none of the Miami coaches. [The complaint doesn't name the coach, so we will call him Coach X]

5. These defendants were recorded saying the following (about Coach X):

- "Coach X Knows Everything."
- Coach X "knows something gotta happen for it get done."

6. On an August 11th phone call, these defendants discussed that Coach X requested a payment of $150K to be made to 2018 recruit in order to prevent said player from going to another school.

7. On another August phone call (possibly the 6th) the defendants discuss using the same payment structure that was used to get the commitment for another player to another school. This player and school is not us. They're just discussing using that method.

8. On another phone call this unknown August day, another university was offering 2018 Recruit $150K. The defendants were discussing how they could keep him at Miami and prevent him from going to another school.

9. On August 12th, there is a phone call about timing the payment to 2018 Recruit. They discuss that if the other university pays the full $150K, that is where the 2018 Recruit will go. The defendants then mention the following "I think they do 150 if, if Coach X stayed on it."

By Coach X, do you mean "Coach 3"?

Yes.

Upon a re-read, "Coach 3" is not caught on the wire tap. The allegations against Coach 3 are made by the defendants to each other.

I never said he was caught on tape.

I never said that you said that he was caught on tape.

Bilas, who also is a lawyer. said on Finebaum a few minutes ago, that soliciting funds for a player, especially one who arrives at your school, is an NCAA infraction that accrues also to the head coach. This was said in the context of University 6 which is Lousiville. He said that that allegation was the worst in the college cases. If there is a coach 3, and he made the request and it is proved, he will be fired and probably be given a show cause. Program implications are unknown.

That's kind of the key here to me.."especially one who arrives at your school"...

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but what it appears they have is 2 Defendants discussing a coach basically urging THEM to do something illegal, then, ultimately....it never occurs, rather, the illegal act occurs elsewhere.

So, is conspiracy to commit a crime (that never occurs) good enough without any other evidence beyond a wiretap of 2 presumed guilty individuals? Hmmm...sounds weak as **** to me.

UM

Advertisement

That's kind of the key here to me.."especially one who arrives at your school"...

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but what it appears they have is 2 Defendants discussing a coach basically urging THEM to do something illegal, then, ultimately....it never occurs, rather, the illegal act occurs elsewhere.

So, is conspiracy to commit a crime (that never occurs) good enough without any other evidence beyond a wiretap of 2 presumed guilty individuals? Hmmm...sounds weak as **** to me.

UM

It may sound weak but burden of proof with NCAA is not the same as proof required in a courtroom

If you read paragraph 13 of the charge, Universities 6 and 7 are the victims of the fraud perpetrated by the charged defendants. Small comfort as it appears Coach 3 was involved with NCAA infractions.

UM

Depends on the elements of the crime, but it certainly can be, and often is.

Advertisement
Sooooo.....any leanings on which *potential assistant? Caputo, Fisher or Brunt? Nothing surprises me any longer but Caputo obviously has the most to lose and has been with Larranaga the longest so I wouldn't initially think of him. Would Brunt be at the level of communicating privately with Adidas?

It's definitely Caputo.

No way either of the other guys are talking directly with high level Adidas officials.

I don't necessarily like going down this road of possibly smearing by speculation alone......but Brunt seems to be billed as some master recruiter though too.

Advertisement
Anybody have an InsideTheU VIP account? Apparently there's an "updated" article over there.

Pretty clear thus far that ...

1. Coach 3 was trying to arrange payments from Adidas to player but thankfully is not on tape anywhere doing it.
2. Player went elsewhere so hopefully that mitigates some.
3. Coach 3 gets thrown down the bottomless pit and we skate?

Sooooo.....any leanings on which *potential assistant? Caputo, Fisher or Brunt? Nothing surprises me any longer but Caputo obviously has the most to lose and has been with Larranaga the longest so I wouldn't initially think of him. Would Brunt be at the level of communicating privately with Adidas?

It's definitely Caputo.

No way either of the other guys are talking directly with high level Adidas officials.

I don't necessarily like going down this road of possibly smearing by speculation alone......but Brunt seems to be billed as some master recruiter though too.

You think he has that kind of cache?

I'm not sure.

Pretty clear thus far that ...

1. Coach 3 was trying to arrange payments from Adidas to player but thankfully is not on tape anywhere doing it.
2. Player went elsewhere so hopefully that mitigates some.
3. Coach 3 gets thrown down the bottomless pit and we skate?

Miami will throw Adidas under the bus I imagine if this is the scenario.

They'll say that Coach 3 told Adidas that Miami really wanted this kid, but never implied to bribe him to come to Miami.

Adidas will blame a rogue agent.

Pretty much all they can do so long as theres no paper trail or audio of Coach 3 directly telling Adidas to buy this kid off.

Advertisement
Back