FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

Yep. That's certainly how I read it.

And yet the correct reading is that an adidas exec SAID that a Miami coach was OK with it. If they actually had proof that Coach-3 directed it, he would have been charged along with the other guys.

I'm not saying this is ideal, or that it removes us from suspicion, but only to point out that there ARE different levels of involvement here.

Advertisement
Sooooo.....any leanings on which *potential assistant? Caputo, Fisher or Brunt? Nothing surprises me any longer but Caputo obviously has the most to lose and has been with Larranaga the longest so I wouldn't initially think of him. Would Brunt be at the level of communicating privately with Adidas?

It's definitely Caputo.

No way either of the other guys are talking directly with high level Adidas officials.

Advertisement
Not sure if anyone actually read the complaint but here is my understanding (as I read it quickly on the subway):

For the sake of the obvious, we're University 7. Also, these are pages 25-29 of the link below.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download

------------------

1. Sometime in August 2017, the allegations begin.

2. Two defendants began talking on a wire-tap about paying a 2018 Recruit ("2018 Recruit").

3. These defendants were to pay the recruit $150K in order to ensure a commitment of a 2018 Recruit to Miami. Then, down the line, the 2018 Recruit would sign with these defendants (Sports Agent).

4. The wire-tap catches the defendants and none of the Miami coaches. [The complaint doesn't name the coach, so we will call him Coach X]

5. These defendants were recorded saying the following (about Coach X):

- "Coach X Knows Everything."
- Coach X "knows something gotta happen for it get done."

6. On an August 11th phone call, these defendants discussed that Coach X requested a payment of $150K to be made to 2018 recruit in order to prevent said player from going to another school.

7. On another August phone call (possibly the 6th) the defendants discuss using the same payment structure that was used to get the commitment for another player to another school. This player and school is not us. They're just discussing using that method.

8. On another phone call this unknown August day, another university was offering 2018 Recruit $150K. The defendants were discussing how they could keep him at Miami and prevent him from going to another school.

9. On August 12th, there is a phone call about timing the payment to 2018 Recruit. They discuss that if the other university pays the full $150K, that is where the 2018 Recruit will go. The defendants then mention the following "I think they do 150 if, if Coach X stayed on it."

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/said...rounding-fbi-investigation-college-basketball

Looks like everyone is talking about Louisville for now. Could we skate because we weren't able to get the recruit?

It was for a kid who graduates in 2018, or so I read

It appears to be Quickley.

No it is believed to be Naz little. He played on that 1 family aau team that the program directed was involved in the case.

Advertisement

Yep. That's certainly how I read it.

And yet the correct reading is that an adidas exec SAID that a Miami coach was OK with it. If they actually had proof that Coach-3 directed it, he would have been charged along with the other guys.

I'm not saying this is ideal, or that it removes us from suspicion, but only to point out that there ARE different levels of involvement here.

You are spot on, but you have to wonder why these guys, on numerous occasions, not knowing they are recorded, would say that Coach-3 was requesting it/aware.

Perhaps Coach-3 was not arrested because it was simply hearsay and they never caught Coach-3 in the wiretap, but that wouldn't prevent the Adidas Exec from trying to squeal to give up more people in order to reach a plea, or an indictment coming in the future.

I'd say there is greater than 90% certainty Coach-3 was dirty, but whether there is an arrest is much more uncertain. Also have to factor in that NCAA has a much lower standard of proof, so it's possible there is no arrest but still NCAA sanctions.

The coaches arrested accepted bribes. The solicitation of moneys for the procurement of an athlete may not be a federal crime but it sure is an NCAA violation. This may be somewhat similar to the case when Miami provided money for a players mother, forget who, but the numbers are a **** of a lot larger. Also, the players involved may have their eligibility in jeopardy.

Not sure if anyone actually read the complaint but here is my understanding (as I read it quickly on the subway):

For the sake of the obvious, we're University 7. Also, these are pages 25-29 of the link below.

------------------

2. Two defendants began talking on a wire-tap about paying a 2018 Recruit ("2018 Recruit").

3. These defendants were to pay the recruit $150K in order to ensure a commitment of a 2018 Recruit to Miami. Then, down the line, the 2018 Recruit would sign with these defendants (Sports Agent).

4. The wire-tap catches the defendants and none of the Miami coaches. [The complaint doesn't name the coach, so we will call him Coach X]

6. On an August 11th phone call, these defendants discussed that Coach X requested a payment of $150K to be made to 2018 recruit in order to prevent said player from going to another school.

7. On another August phone call (possibly the 6th) the defendants discuss using the same payment structure that was used to get the commitment for another player to another school. This player and school is not us. They're just discussing using that method.

8. On another phone call this unknown August day, another university was offering 2018 Recruit $150K. The defendants were discussing how they could keep him at Miami and prevent him from going to another school.

9. On August 12th, there is a phone call about timing the payment to 2018 Recruit. They discuss that if the other university pays the full $150K, that is where the 2018 Recruit will go. The defendants then mention the following "I think they do 150 if, if Coach X stayed on it."

By Coach X, do you mean "Coach 3"?

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/said...rounding-fbi-investigation-college-basketball

Looks like everyone is talking about Louisville for now. Could we skate because we weren't able to get the recruit?

It was for a kid who graduates in 2018, or so I read

It appears to be Quickley.

No it is believed to be Naz little. He played on that 1 family aau team that the program directed was involved in the case.

Interesting. Ok.

Advertisement
The coaches arrested accepted bribes. The solicitation of moneys for the procurement of an athlete may not be a federal crime but it sure is an NCAA violation. This may be somewhat similar to the case when Miami provided money for a players mother, forget who, but the numbers are a **** of a lot larger. Also, the players involved may have their eligibility in jeopardy.

Do you think the NCAA has any of the powers that the FBI has at their disposal? The FBI is going for something very specific with this complaint and they don't give 2 $hits
about NCAA By-laws.

---

I think you're referring to DeQuan Jones. The NCAA had a guy (Nevin) who was willing to talk about payments. They ended up having allegations and almost no evidence.

I don't see how this applies here. We didn't even get the player. There is no proof that we paid someone or asked someone to be paid (at this time).

------------------

Yes.

Advertisement

If I try to shoot you, but I'm a bad shot so I miss, do I skate?

Depends if you're a cop or not. I kid, I kid.

But knowing the NCAA, they would let you slide for shooting and missing if you are Louisville or Arizona and probably not if you are Miami.

------------------

Yes.

Upon a re-read, "Coach 3" is not caught on the wire tap. The allegations against Coach 3 are made by the defendants to each other.

Advertisement
Back