2025 DJ Pickett 5* CB from Zephyrhills Commits to LSU

i'm about to get cooked, but i'm no sold on pickett at corner ....
crowd riot GIF

Advertisement
Pickett runs 10.6, 10.5. Comparing him to James Williams is a joke. He will be a good CB. Thats the #1 requirement for me in CBs, speed to not get beat deep. You coach up everything else.
Disagree , what you need to play corner is hip flexibility and twitch fit change if direction.. straight line speed are for safety and linebackers

No he's not a freak athlete cause he performed average at the Combine. At best he is a Solid/Good athlete. His jumps (explosiveness) were straight bad. His speed was solid as a LB, bad as a Safety, and Great as a DE. But he'd be WAAAAY too small to be a DE. And he didn't even perform the agility drills! Which I'm sure there was a reason for. The 3 cone drill would have likely been pretty telling about his ability to bend...

I mean just Look at kyle Hamilton. and you will see the difference in athleticism for guys that are basically the same size. So if James Williams is a freak, Kyle Hamilton is a super-freak? Cause he is better across the board.
View attachment 306508

Here he is as a LB:
View attachment 306503
Here he is as a Safety:
View attachment 306505
And here he would be as a DE:
View attachment 306506
I
Hopefully this ends the freak athlete talk for james lol

Advertisement
Is it wrong to think Pickett is like James Williams: freak athlete without a real position?
Very wrong. Pickett and James are oil and water. Pickett doesn't have a defined position because he simply dominated all over the field. He's physically capable of playing Multiple positions. Some DC would love him as a safety while others love him at corner. Meanwhile some OC love him at wr. James played where he did because he insisted on it. Just that simple. He wanted to stick with what he knew prior to his growth spurt. Meanwhile everyone else in the country knew he outgrew the position.

Very wrong. Pickett and James are oil and water. Pickett doesn't have a defined position because he simply dominated all over the field. He's physically capable of playing Multiple positions. Some DC would love him as a safety while others love him at corner. Meanwhile some OC love him at wr. James played where he did because he insisted on it. Just that simple. He wanted to stick with what he knew prior to his growth spurt. Meanwhile everyone else in the country knew he outgrew the position.
Thanks

I never added my opinion on Pickett after going to see him play in person the weekend that the Canes were in Tampa for the USF game.

I love going to see these highly rated guys play in person. You learn much more about them watching them live than watching video especially highlight tape. I usually sit on their side of the field so I can watch them when they aren't on the field and how they interact with teammates along with how they react to plays in the game.

Lets me preface it as I always do. It was one game so take it for what it is worth.

I left underwhelmed. ELITE when the ball is in the air at safety (had 1 int and dropped 2 others just in the first half) but no effort to tackle. I know Fitzgerald has that stigma but I don't recall hearing it about DJ. Really surprising because the level of play was a snoozer (not South Florida ball so maybe too easy for him?) and I counted 6 times in the first half that he could've cleaned up a play or just didn't attempt to make a tackle which led to 2 big plays for Gulf, 1 a TD. Just seemed liked he was going through the motions. Maybe trying to avoid injury? Bad day? Who knows? Also didn't interact much with the rest of the team when he was on the sidelines. He wasn't very emotional or passionate especially during a close game except when he dropped those 2 passes that would've been picks. Didn't notice a bad attitude or anything just seemingly going through the motions. I expected more from everything I've read and seen. That usually doesn't happen when I go to these games.

Advertisement
I never added my opinion on Pickett after going to see him play in person the weekend that the Canes were in Tampa for the USF game.

I love going to see these highly rated guys play in person. You learn much more about them watching them live than watching video especially highlight tape. I usually sit on their side of the field so I can watch them when they aren't on the field and how they interact with teammates along with how they react to plays in the game.

Lets me preface it as I always do. It was one game so take it for what it is worth.

I left underwhelmed. ELITE when the ball is in the air at safety (had 1 int and dropped 2 others just in the first half) but no effort to tackle. I know Fitzgerald has that stigma but I don't recall hearing it about DJ. Really surprising because the level of play was a snoozer (not South Florida ball so maybe too easy for him?) and I counted 6 times in the first half that he could've cleaned up a play or just didn't attempt to make a tackle which led to 2 big plays for Gulf, 1 a TD. Just seemed liked he was going through the motions. Maybe trying to avoid injury? Bad day? Who knows? Also didn't interact much with the rest of the team when he was on the sidelines. He wasn't very emotional or passionate especially during a close game except when he dropped those 2 passes that would've been picks. Didn't notice a bad attitude or anything just seemingly going through the motions. I expected more from everything I've read and seen. That usually doesn't happen when I go to these games.
Totally agree. Seeing recruits live instead of film tells you a lot more about them. I wish I hadn’t seen Stubbs live lol. I came away unimpressed. Could’ve been a bad day but his play left a lot to be desired. Some of your thoughts on Pickett was some of the same takes I had on Stubbs. Even though they’re different type players and positions.

Totally agree. Seeing recruits live instead of film tells you a lot more about them. I wish I hadn’t seen Stubbs live lol. I came away unimpressed. Could’ve been a bad day but his play left a lot to be desired. Some of your thoughts on Pickett was some of the same takes I had on Stubbs. Even though they’re different type players and positions.
@Dwinstitles is going to be heartbroken when he reads this. Heartbroken. Hopefully this was an anomaly.

You Broke My Heart GIF

Advertisement
I’ve seen Stubbs play in much more than 1 game, probably about 10 games to date. Plus several practices. Respect to Cribby for giving his honest opinion, but it was definitely an anomaly. Stubbs is that dude.
I always preface it as “ maybe it was a bad game “. That said he looked kinda stiff to me. That and getting planted by the rb with no fight off a block was more of my concern. Getting blocked is one thing but giving up on the play and getting baptized is a red flag. It’s most like he thought the rb would stop blocking him. Now as for as looking the part ? Your eyes go to him and the wr # 11 the moment they walk on the field. You know instantly they’re dudes. French only played a half but he’s as advertised. He’s just a different cat with the ball. But his height is nowhere near what he’s listed.

Yea I read that, I still disagree with the great cribby. He could be right though and I understand that but I’m going to believe what I think till I see jag in college
All I could do is judge what I saw in person. I guess I could lie and blow smoke like other people with what I saw that day. It was one game but you never know who’s first time it is watching you any given Friday. That’s why you should always bring your A game when you’re highly rated.

Btw i’ll likely be in Newberry Friday to watch them and Bradford play. It’ll likely decide the district. Intrigued to see how those DT’s matchup up against that Bradford physical run game.

Advertisement

Yea Right GIF

All I could do is judge what I saw in person. I guess I could lie and blow smoke like other people with what I saw that day. It was one game but you never know who’s first time it is watching you any given Friday. That’s why you should always bring your A game when you’re highly rated.

Btw i’ll likely be in Newberry Friday to watch them and Bradford play. It’ll likely decide the district. Intrigued to see how those DT’s matchup up against that Bradford physical run game.
I expect no less and I like that u keeping it 100. You were there and that’s what u saw not disagreeing with what u saw, if he played like **** then that’s what it is and u honest about it. I still think he’s legit but yea I’m nervous cause I trust you but hoping you wrong on this one.

I expect no less and I like that u keeping it 100. You were there and that’s what u saw not disagreeing with what u saw, if he played like **** then that’s what it is and u honest about it. I still think he’s legit but yea I’m nervous cause I trust you but hoping you wrong on this one.
There are speed questions with him. Im not saying he is slow but he isnt fast and hence why he isnt a 5 star. Otherwise the rest of his game checks all the boxes.

Advertisement
Back