2025 DJ Pickett 5* CB from Zephyrhills Commits to LSU

I think corner is one of the biggest measurable projections for a position. Especially when projecting at corner. A really good corner in HS just isn’t going to get the ball thrown to his side of the field often. Picket has measurables that if it comes together, warrant a “top 5” player in the country. When I saw him in person, the size and length is insane.
with his size and i'm not sure he has the hips/feet for cb ... i could be wrong and admittedly i haven't seen alot of tape

Advertisement
Didn't realize speed was the only qualification for 'freak athlete' status. We should just start calling them speed athletes instead.

Williams had the size/athletic ability to potentially play DE, LB and S. Only a freak athlete can do that.

Some of ya'll are forgetting how hyped you were when James Williams signed with Miami. It's easy to call the comparison a 'joke' in 2024 now that Williams' underachieving career has ended.

Carry on

Will Johnson: 6’3 190. Basketball player and receiver. 1int, 600 yards and 6TDs.
with his size and i'm not sure he has the hips/feet for cb ... i could be wrong and admittedly i haven't seen alot of tape

He is 6’4 with 6’8 wingspan, and has the speed. It’s unicorn type length at that position. He had 1000 receiving yards last year, so has the ball skills. Who knows where he ends up in the secondary (CB/S). But he also has the upside at WR. So who knows where he ultimately ends up, but I would be surprised if it’s not a very very good player, regardless of position

Advertisement
This is where way too much emphasis is being placed. If you bring in a kid as a corner and phase him over to safety it's very different from bringing a kid in as a safety and phasing him over to corner. Very different process for each position. I understand he plays safety as well. But this kid at his core is a corner with the ability to play at any DB spot.

Advertisement
Didn't realize speed was the only qualification for 'freak athlete' status. We should just start calling them speed athletes instead.

Williams had the size/athletic ability to potentially play DE, LB and S. Only a freak athlete can do that.

Some of ya'll are forgetting how hyped you were when James Williams signed with Miami. It's easy to call the comparison a 'joke' in 2024 now that Williams' underachieving career has ended.

Carry on
No he's not a freak athlete cause he performed average at the Combine. At best he is a Solid/Good athlete. His jumps (explosiveness) were straight bad. His speed was solid as a LB, bad as a Safety, and Great as a DE. But he'd be WAAAAY too small to be a DE. And he didn't even perform the agility drills! Which I'm sure there was a reason for. The 3 cone drill would have likely been pretty telling about his ability to bend...

I mean just Look at kyle Hamilton. and you will see the difference in athleticism for guys that are basically the same size. So if James Williams is a freak, Kyle Hamilton is a super-freak? Cause he is better across the board.
1728416030582.png

Here he is as a LB:
1728415589357.png

Here he is as a Safety:
1728415637182.png

And here he would be as a DE:
1728415679291.png

I

No he's not a freak athlete cause he performed average at the Combine. At best he is a Solid/Good athlete. His jumps (explosiveness) were straight bad. His speed was solid as a LB, bad as a Safety, and Great as a DE. But he'd be WAAAAY too small to be a DE. And he didn't even perform the agility drills! Which I'm sure there was a reason for. The 3 cone drill would have likely been pretty telling about his ability to bend...

I mean just Look at kyle Hamilton. and you will see the difference in athleticism for guys that are basically the same size. So if James Williams is a freak, Kyle Hamilton is a super-freak? Cause he is better across the board.
View attachment 306508

Here he is as a LB:
View attachment 306503
Here he is as a Safety:
View attachment 306505
View attachment 306506
I
you right

View attachment 306508

Here he is as a LB:
View attachment 306503
Here he is as a Safety:
View attachment 306505
View attachment 306506that doesn't even need words. JW is a good kid, but he is and always was below average for his position

Advertisement
I like the kid, but I’m sure there is a budget for him and if LSU goes all in and trumps us, it is what it is.
We have a budget for each position, with the most money allocated for QB than Dline, followed by Oline.
WR and CB next and then everyone else.

Generational talents are exempt from these budgetary setups.. e.g. Jeremiah Smith could have wrote his own check and we would have found the money someway somehow. Thanos is another. But everyone else would slot in according to their position value.

This is where way too much emphasis is being placed. If you bring in a kid as a corner and phase him over to safety it's very different from bringing a kid in as a safety and phasing him over to corner. Very different process for each position. I understand he plays safety as well. But this kid at his core is a corner with the ability to play at any DB spot.
Possibly the nickel we have been missing?

Advertisement
My concern is if he keeps growing (which he likely will). I expect him to move to safety with scenarios at CB.

Advertisement
Back