DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC

This was the first UM basktball game I watched this year and I didn't like what I saw. No team play, bad shooting, bad 3-point defense, a ton of turnovers, no identity. Bad loss.

Advertisement
As poorly as we played, we only down by one with a minute left.

Losses happen. Bring on the conference schedule.

Man, our offense gets ugly sometimes (recurring theme the past couple of years). Tonight it lasted the whole game. Too many turnovers and way too much hero ball. Our defense was good enough to win despite some of the lucky shots/bounces.

We got beat on the boards all night. Some of that's lack of effort, but some was stupid plays where the weak side defender leaps to try and block something on the other side of the basket (hero defense?) only to leave their man standing there for the rebound and put back.

I do look forward to the game when we put it all together for 40 minutes. So much talent.

Pretty much everything above. The effort and hustle were not there tonight. We were getting outworked all night, especially on those boards.

How about 2-18 from 3PT?

The sad part is with the total mess above, we cut it to 1 point with 1:25 left in the game. We then played some good D and Zach Lofton hit a deep 3 as the shot clock was running down.

Basketball game thread busy first time all season when the team loses. Lol love these forums. These guys clearly affected by having to play two games within 24 hours after that ridiculous flight.
We get that but regardless this is not top ranked competition. We’re supposedly the 6th ranked team in the F@cking nation so they needed to show up no excuses.

Porst less.

Honestly, this was a bad loss. It has nothing to do with losing to NMSU, per se. They may make the NCAAT, they may not. It has to do with the way we lost. We were outworked and out hustled all night.

With that said, teams lose in basketball. This isn't new. That doesn't excuse our performance but teams do lose. I guess this is news to some of the potatoes that choose to come out and porst during these times.

The Really Bad:

- NMSU had 14 offensive rebounds
- We had 14 TOs, 11 in the first half (NMSU had 12 points off TOs in the first half)
- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs
- The offense still needs a lot of work.
- Miller is nowhere close to being ready to playing quality burn, not sure if he ever will be ready either.
- Waardenburg also had some of the worst minutes out there as well.

The Weird:

- As bad as we played, we cut it to 1 point with 1:25 left in the game. We play some solid D and Lofton shoots a 3 from ~5 feet behind the line and hits it.

The Good:

- We went 16-22 from the FTL, Brown went 7-9. Huge improvements.

Side note: You can always tell when a potato porsts because they only come out when things are bad. Have some bleach on me.

Advertisement
Game 3: MTSU 12/25 at 8:30 on ESPNU

Now before everyone says, MTSU is a really good team and this will be a tough game. It shouldn't. We know they made the NCAAT the last 2 years but they've lost considerable talent from those teams as Williams and Upshaw are gone. Instead you have Nick King, who is averaging 22.9 PPG and 6.9 RPG. He is a transfer and he is really good.

MTSU is 8-3. They've lost to Belmont (8-5), Auburn (11-1) and USC (8-4). All 3 losses were by 6 or less points.

RPI: 40th
BPI: 53rd
SOS: 46th

Not sure if they have any "quality" wins at this juncture. They're the only team to beat FGCU 2x this year (so far and not an accomplishments). They beat Vandy (5-7) on the road and Ole Miss (7-5).

Points Per Game: 76.9 (136th)
Points Allowed Per Game: 68.5 (109th)
3PT: 34.6% (194th)

It is important to win this game and go into our ACC play with some momentum.

Spread: Miami -6.0

Last edited:
Have not seen the second game yet it seems to have some here upset. About the first game. I got quite a bit of what I was hoping for. Much better 1/2 court offense - more active - much better ball movement and some good inside play. I also got a great first half from AMP who is my favorite.
What happened in the second game did Were we tired? Did we revert to the slo mo offense?

Honestly, this was a bad loss. It has nothing to do with losing to NMSU, per se. They may make the NCAAT, they may not. It has to do with the way we lost. We were outworked and out hustled all night.

With that said, teams lose in basketball. This isn't new. That doesn't excuse our performance but teams do lose. I guess this is news to some of the potatoes that choose to come out and porst during these times.

The Really Bad:

- We had 14 TOs, 11 in the first half (NMSU had 12 points off TOs in the first half)
- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs
- Miller is nowhere close to being ready to playing quality burn, not sure if he ever will be ready either.

The Weird:

- As bad as we played, we cut it to 1 point with 1:25 left in the game. We play some solid D and Lofton shoots a 3 from ~5 feet behind the line and hits it.

The Good:

Side note: You can always tell when a potato porsts because they only come out when things are bad. Have some bleach on me.

Great post and the bolded killed us!

Man, our offense gets ugly sometimes (recurring theme the past couple of years). Tonight it lasted the whole game. Too many turnovers and way too much hero ball. Our defense was good enough to win despite some of the lucky shots/bounces.

We got beat on the boards all night. Some of that's lack of effort, but some was stupid plays where the weak side defender leaps to try and block something on the other side of the basket (hero defense?) only to leave their man standing there for the rebound and put back.

I do look forward to the game when we put it all together for 40 minutes. So much talent.

Pretty much everything above. The effort and hustle were not there tonight. We were getting outworked all night, especially on those boards.

How about 2-18 from 3PT?

The sad part is with the total mess above, we cut it to 1 point with 1:25 left in the game. We then played some good D and Zach Lofton hit a deep 3 as the shot clock was running down.

I said early yesterday morning that this was a mediocre shooting outside team. Think it was CT who rightly pointed out to me that the season stats said otherwise. I guess we'd have to look more closely at who they were shooting well against but what REALLY made me comment on the outside shooting was being at the GW game. DJ was the only perimeter guy who WANTED to take the outside shot. The rest were looking to pass or slash. I didn't see much confidence at all. Eh, maybe from Lykes but even he too often looked like a true frosh deferring to more experienced guys. Hesitant to hoist it up more than once or twice.

Advertisement

This hurts. They are clearly the two least capable guys on the team, but they are backup bigs. It was only two minutes at the end of the first half, but when Huell and Izundu were both out with two fouls these two guys were brutal. You know those two are going to get in foul trouble again at least a few times in conference play. I know our other guys are versatile defenders - especially Lawrence - but we'll need Miller and Waardenberg to at least be functional. Last night they were not functional. If they don't improve, that lack of depth will hurt in a couple games for sure.

We were just out of sync. NMst will end up being pretty good. Their rebounders were legit. Long, athletic and active. They may have shot a little better than usual but we would have beaten them on a regular night. These game happen.

We need to win tonite. And get ready for ACC play.

I love watching these guys. They looked so confident the opening game and really every game so far. I wonder where this came from. Huell looks waaay more comfortable. They must have had a really good summer/fall league or something to play in. Maybe they snuck out and had some fun. Hopefully they bounce back today

Advertisement
Game 3: MTSU 12/25 at 8:30 on ESPNU

Now before everyone says, MTSU is a really good team and this will be a tough game. It shouldn't. We know they made the NCAAT the last 2 years but they've lost considerable talent from those teams as Williams and Upshaw are gone. Instead you have Nick King, who is averaging 22.9 PPG and 6.9 RPG. He is a transfer and he is really good.

MTSU is 8-3. They've lost to Belmont (8-5), Auburn (11-1) and USC (8-4). All 3 losses were by 6 or less points.

RPI: 40th
BPI: 53rd
SOS: 46th

Not sure if they have any "quality" wins at this juncture. They're the only team to beat FGCU 2x this year (so far and not an accomplishments). They beat Vandy (5-7) on the road and Ole Miss (7-5).

Points Per Game: 76.9 (136th)
Points Allowed Per Game: 68.5 (109th)
3PT: 34.6% (194th)

It is important to win this game and go into our ACC play with some momentum.

Spread: TBD

Wow. Never thought I would hear Nick King's name again had no idea he played for MTSU. Played two yrs at Memphis and left, went to Alabama and transfered. I wondered what happen to him.

The Really Bad:

- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs

The Weird:

The Good:

No thanks on the bleach, enjoy it with your family tonight. It’s obvious that teams do lose but like many I had hope that they could win this tournament which was supposed to be dominated by the 6th ranked team in the nation. USC was supposed to be our tough game in this Ruddy Pooh Tournament. Is it wrong having high expectations for your 6th nationally ranked team? I don’t think so. Yes in college basketball unlike college football it’s ok to drop a few games cause you can suck and get hot and win your Conference tournament and your in. But come on they are the highest ranked team in the Classic.

The Really Bad:

- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs

The Weird:

The Good:

No thanks on the bleach, enjoy it with your family tonight. It’s obvious that teams do lose but like many I had hope that they could win this tournament which was supposed to be dominated by the 6th ranked team in the nation. USC was supposed to be our tough game in this Ruddy Pooh Tournament. Is it wrong having high expectations for your 6th nationally ranked team? I don’t think so. Yes in college basketball unlike college football it’s ok to drop a few games cause you can suck and get hot and win your Conference tournament and your in. But come on they are the highest ranked team in the Classic.

Can you clean this up so it makes some sense?

Advertisement
Overall, I think the officiating sucked the entire tournament...I mean overall and no excuses for our loss. We got some bogus calls for us and against us.

The Really Bad:

- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs

The Weird:

The Good:

You drank the bleach already?

I'm curious to see our D performs vs King. He's potent near the basket and any lackluster effort on the rebounding front will be punished.

MTSU's bench talent is non existent, 3 of their starters fouled out against Auburn and that was good enough to make the difference. So, there's that.

Here's to seeing some intensity tonight. Can't sleepwalk past these guys.

The Really Bad:

- We shot 2-18 from 3PT
- We shot 18-53 from FGs

The Weird:

The Good:

You drank the bleach already?

No, I just prefer english and sentences that make sense.

Advertisement
Back