Cormani

I can't stand that guy!
Isn’t he the same one that said he was a ghost writer for lil Wayne?

Either way. I never like a him. For all I know he had me and by best friend angel Fernandez set-up.
Tony Montana Scarface GIF

Advertisement
I find it hard to believe anyone can just talent their way into the HOF. Him being “sleeping-dog lazy” just sounds like hating

What a ridiculous post.

Nobody ever said that Deion Sanders was lazy for his entire life. Certainly, at some point, he worked at his craft. Four years of high school. Four years of college. The beginning of his NFL career.

But the excerpt is talking about Deion's SEVENTH year in the NFL. If you don't think that players get entitled and/or lazy by Year 7, I don't know what to tell you.

And, sure, Deion was coming off an injury. I get it. There may be valid reasons to give him a lighter PHYSICAL workload, but it doesn't excuse his behavior when it comes to film study and game prep.

Look, I will be respectful of "Sanders Island", the concept that you could put Deion out on an island against the other team's best WR and he could largely shut things down. But we really need to stop buying this myth of Deion being this all-time great for every single year that he played. Because what Deion did in Atlanta and San Francisco is MARKEDLY BETTER than what he did for the rest of his career.

With ATL/SF, Deion was actually a willing tackler, notched interceptions and fumble recoveries, and contributed on special teams for both KRs and PRs:

1695848822996.png

However, for the REST OF HIS CAREER, you can see a huge drop-off in tackles, INTs, and fumble recoveries. He only had 8 more kickoff returns for the rest of his career. The punt returns remained a part of his repertoire in Dallas/Washington.

As a tackler...Deion was never as good as he was in ATL/SF, particularly when you adjust on a "tackles per game" basis.

As a CB...Deion definitely slowed down on his interception pace. And that "prime time" factor, of returning picks for touchdowns...he only had THREE for the rest of his career.

As a punt returner...again, if "prime time" is about the big plays, this is one area where he had a great span of 3 years (1997-99) on PRs.

And as for kickoff returner...he pretty much retired that part of his game when he got to Dallas.

But quite clearly, Deion Sanders was a different, and lesser, productive player in Dallas/Washington/Baltimore than he had been in Atlanta and San Francisco. Still quality. But not "prime time" quality.

1695849330962.png

The numbers don't lie. Sure, I can give him "extra credit" for the cornerback stats, on the basis that QBs were scared to throw it his way. But by every other measure...

YES...

Deion got entitled and lazy once he got to Dallas...

The hate for Deion is ridiculous. But it’s not new. Now people are questioning if he should be considered the GOAT of CB’s. Smh

Really? THAT is what you think was said?

Who said that Deion is not one of the best, if not the best, CBs ever?

Deion was great, a Hall of Famer. But if you think his statistical output after San Francisco is on a par with his output before Dallas...

There were reports that because of stuff like this, he and Troy Aikman clashed as teammates. Troy was big on structure...
Yep. From the same chapter:
Although most veterans accepted Sanders' ego and indifference in exchange for the promise of otherworldly play, Aikman -- who had offered to defer part of his salary to help Dallas afford the defensive back -- was disgusted. It was bad enough Switzer approached discipline as if he were the proprietor of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. Now here was "Neon Deion," teaching via example that image is everything and practice is overrated. From across the locker room, the quarterback would watch Sanders' postgame dressing ritual and cringe. As Jeff Rude of the Dallas Morning News described it: "Most people slip on a shirt when they get dressed. Deion puts on a jewelry store."

Entire book s great. Michael Irvin was a menace. Stabbed a teammate in the neck at a barbershop and Jerry let it slide. Legend. 🤣

Advertisement
Notwithstanding his illustrious football career, lets not forget baseball. The following is just an excerpt about his best season with the Braves:

During the 1992 season, his best year in the majors, Sanders hit .304 for the team, stole 26 bases, and led the NL with 14 triples in 97 games. In four games of the 1992 World Series, Sanders batted .533 with four runs, eight hits, two doubles, and one RBI while playing with a broken bone in his foot. His batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, total bases and win probability added each led the team in the series.

Deion is probably the greatest athlete of our time. Eventually, dude would take helicopters from and to baseball to football games. Are you kidding?

I truly wonder how “arrogant” yall would be if you were able to accomplish what he has in pro sports.

Deion was great, a Hall of Famer. But if you think his statistical output after San Francisco is on a par with his output before Dallas...
stats are not everything man. Deion literally changed the way teams prepared for him. Shut down one side of the field. The first CB to do that. Stop it. As players get older their stats will fluctuate. Don’t over analyze the statistics man. If you played football in HS or CFB and played CB, you wanted to be like Deion.

He is the best cb of all time. Who better?

Advertisement
Notwithstanding his illustrious football career, lets not forget baseball. The following is just an excerpt about his best season with the Braves:

During the 1992 season, his best year in the majors, Sanders hit .304 for the team, stole 26 bases, and led the NL with 14 triples in 97 games. In four games of the 1992 World Series, Sanders batted .533 with four runs, eight hits, two doubles, and one RBI while playing with a broken bone in his foot. His batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, total bases and win probability added each led the team in the series.

Deion is probably the greatest athlete of our time. Eventually, dude would take helicopters from and to baseball to football games. Are you kidding?

I truly wonder how “arrogant” yall would be if you were able to accomplish what he has in pro sports.

Oh my god, am I supposed to feel bad for him? He also pulled down double-salary.

Look, I'm not talking about the "arrogance" of him being an ******* (which he's always had), I'm talking about the arrogance of demanding a double standard of treatment, right in front of his fellow teammates. And that is what the book talks about.

Oh, but boo-hoo, I should sympathize with him because he played while injured. Something that MANY athletes do. And then I should use that as an excuse for his arrogance.

Pass.

He is the best cb of all time. Who better?

He was great against the pass. But there are other CBs who were better against both the run and the pass.

And I'm not going to use special teams to elevate his CB play.

But keep trying to spin it into something I didn't say. Deion definitely had a drop-off in his statistical production after he joined the Cowboys. It's inarguable.

stats are not everything man. Deion literally changed the way teams prepared for him. Shut down one side of the field. The first CB to do that. Stop it. As players get older their stats will fluctuate. Don’t over analyze the statistics man. If you played football in HS or CFB and played CB, you wanted to be like Deion.

I didn't say that stats are everything. I'm saying you can see a PRONOUNCED difference in his play and output from ATL/SF to Dallas and beyond. That's a fact.

I'm not going to get involved in the Deion worship of "but but but he changed the way teams prepared for him, bruh". That's not the issue.

And I'm not talking about statistical "fluctuation". I'm talking about a statistical drop-off that never came back up again. That's not fluctuation.

Oh my god, am I supposed to feel bad for him? He also pulled down double-salary.

Look, I'm not talking about the "arrogance" of him being an ******* (which he's always had), I'm talking about the arrogance of demanding a double standard of treatment, right in front of his fellow teammates. And that is what the book talks about.

Oh, but boo-hoo, I should sympathize with him because he played while injured. Something that MANY athletes do. And then I should use that as an excuse for his arrogance.

Pass.
Fair enough. I did try to convince you to give him a pass lol but his coaches did :)

Advertisement

I dunno, Bo Jackson might want a swing at greatest athlete of our time.

Advertisement
He was great against the pass. But there are other CBs who were better against both the run and the pass.

And I'm not going to use special teams to elevate his CB play.

But keep trying to spin it into something I didn't say. Deion definitely had a drop-off in his statistical production after he joined the Cowboys. It's inarguable.
That’s how people judge cbs by their ability vs the pass. Lol nobody ever mentions if a guy was good vs the run. And who is the cb that was better vs the pass?

Won't go so far as to say he's a hypocrite, but Deion Sanders would absolutely hate to coach Deion Sanders. Sometimes you have to let talent just talent, and nobody exemplified that better than Deion.

Another excerpt.

For all his Jim Thorpe-esque skills, Sanders was sleeping-dog lazy. In practices, he went all-out every third or fourth play and refused to wear shoulder pads because, he would say, "I'm not gonna tackle anyone anyway." In meeting rooms, he was known to doodle and doze off. Told early on that Cowboys who refused to participate in the team's weight training regimen would be fined, Sanders dramatically whipped out his checkbook and jotted down a five-digit figure.

When Mike Woicik, the team's gruff strength and conditioning coach, complained about Sanders' indifference, Switzer sided with his new star. "We're talking about Deion Sanders here," Switzer told Woicik. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to."
Imagine having that much talent that you can just toss it out there and be dominant.

Greter never lifted either. Dude had 97 G’s one year. WTF.

Cowboys Culture under JJ > Cowboys Culture under Switzer
Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, and Dubya would be three guys that would be fun to sit with and listen to stories. Maybe not Jerry, he may be a little much for me. The other two, all day long.

Advertisement
Back