MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Is ESPN going to insist that they own ND's basketball/baseball rights until 2036?

:LOL:
Consider the source.
Due to a very close family relationship, I have Notre Dame season tickets and donate a little. I get invited to the luncheons and stuff. At one, the AD complained about the travel schedule for the non revenue teams. This is close to a quote, “It’s a real problem for our teams to get to FSU”. They won’t be happy that FSU and Clemson are leaving (but only for football), they won’t mind not having to travel to either place. Now they have to go farther to the Bay area and Dallas, but those are much easier trips.

It was in response to the question are we joining the Big ten? His answer was basically yes, if they would give us the same deal. I believe he also said, there was no indication that would happen.

Advertisement
Due to a very close family relationship, I have Notre Dame season tickets and donate a little. I get invited to the luncheons and stuff. At one, the AD complained about the travel schedule for the non revenue teams. This is close to a quote, “It’s a real problem for our teams to get to FSU”. They won’t be happy that FSU and Clemson are leaving (but only for football), they won’t mind not having to travel to either place. Now they have to go farther to the Bay area and Dallas, but those are much easier trips.

It was in response to the question are we joining the Big ten? His answer was basically yes, if they would give us the same deal. I believe he also said, there was no indication that would happen.
pied piper hbo GIF by Silicon Valley

Do you identify as a Catholic or a Convict to use ND's racist parlance?

"I have Notre Dame season tickets and donate a little."

Ron Burgundy What GIF

Advertisement

Since all schools use charter, I don't see why getting to Tallahassee from South Bend should be any different than going to Palo Alto.

Advertisement
They could have at any time but they haven’t. Even in the Covid season, there was no serious discussion of leaving the ACC affiliation for the B1G or the SEC although they could easily afford the exit fee. I don’t think people understand how much Notre Dame dislikes the B1G. They really like the current setup with the ACC.

Phillips is looking for a big time move to show the ACC is stable. Right now there is no other conference that looks as close to disappearing like the Pac12 as the ACC. Notre Dame wants to keep its tv deal with NBC and have scheduling flexibility but they also don’t want the ACC to disappear. I would not be surprised if ND repays the favor of the Covid season by agreeing to a drug deal with Phillips. Phillips announces that ND has “officially” joined the ACC but in reality Notre Dame remains independent in all but name (they get to keep NBC contract, still have more scheduling flexibility than other ACC teams, but also have to play 7 or 8 ACC teams instead of 5). It would obviously just be window dressing, but people have a short attention span. The headline will read "Notre Dame drops independence for the ACC"and it gets a ton of buzz and makes Phillips appear like a strong commissioner. Few people are going to dig into the particulars. It doesn’t bring more money to the ACC so the underlying problems don’t change, but right now the key issue is perception and the drug deal buys Phillips and the ACC some time.

Again I think the most likely outcome of all this is the ACC slims down and increases quality - it " adds" ND, and sends a few teams (Louisville, Syracuse, possibly NC St) to the Big 12 without them having to pay the exit fee to increase the payout to the remaining ACC teams, espn agrees to up the payouts because of the market competitiveness clause in the contract, and most importantly, the ACC does a massive overhaul of the revenue distribution so the teams that get the best ratings get more money.

On paper the top teams in the ACC will make reasonably close to what the P2 makes (not the entire conference just the top teams). FSU and Clemson drop their complaints and can live with the ACC arrangement for a few more years knowing the one giant mega conference is on the horizon.
Why would Notre Dame do the ACC any favors? What do they gain by joining the ACC before the allege mega conference happens? As someone that knows a lot of Notre Dame alumni that school has always did what’s best from them. They gain nothing by doing the ACC a favor by joining

The same aholes that voted to add Cal, Stanford and SMU are *****ing about travel. It's never easier to get to No Cal .
Can't make this up.

Why would Notre Dame do the ACC any favors? What do they gain by joining the ACC before the allege mega conference happens? As someone that knows a lot of Notre Dame alumni that school has always did what’s best from them. They gain nothing by doing the ACC a favor by joining
The only favor ND is going to do for the ACC is to continue the arrangement they currently have. And that works for the ACC.

They will look to “stabilize” the ACC with two more additions once FSU and Clemson leave. Wouldn’t surprise me if that kind of announcement doesnt happen at nearly the same time that FSU/Clemsons exit is finalized.

Advertisement
This is one of the crazier takes I’ve read. Dookies to SEC?!

If UM ended up in the Big12 and Duke in the SEC, I think I’d just pick a new sport to watch.
Saw that speculated last week ... SEC considering adding major BB programs to improve the SEC across non FB sports. Mentioned were UNC, Duke, Kansas. "They already have the best football conference and adding 3-4 major BB programs could solidify them as the best sports conference period".

Last edited:
You think a women’s volleyball team takes a private charter?
You think ND doesn't have the monies to cover those expenses ?
Most schools set about getting seasonal contracts for charter flights for their athletic teams, and comes under the annual athletic budget.
So to answer your question. Yes

Last edited:
Advertisement
They can afford to do whatever they want. It’s 50 mil/year from the tv deal alone. Anything else they get from any conference is extra sugar in the coffee.
They got to the playoffs with a mid team while being independent just because they’re notre dame. Viewership trumps everything.

If they do well this year it’s even more viewership numbers they get to leverage. They’re gonna ask for full membership status regardless of where they go.

This is why it’s imperative that we do well this year and show we still command an audience.

There will be a lot of revenue streams to exploit if we show that we are a legit national brand.

Saw that speculated last week ... SEC considering adding major BB programs to improve the SEC across non FB sports. Mentioned were UNC, Duke, Kansas. "They already have the best football conference and adding 3-4 major BB programs could solidify them as the best sports conference period".

So UM becoming a basketball school is actually a good thing

hmmm GIF

Advertisement
Back