MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
What are the highlights?

Basically said he has legal contacts that are following the case that are saying the ACC is going to be losing teams soon. He said that his contacts don’t have much if any interest in the sport and are strictly speaking from a legal point of view.

He said that action may not happen before the start of the 2024 season but it wouldn’t be surprising if the changes are announced before then.

He said FSU is not the only team that will be leaving too.

What are the highlights?
Begins at the 28:03 mark:

-The ACC is Screwed
-Will look much different in the not too distant future
-Well funded programs not happy and want out ... FSU will get out ... others as well
-Has contacts in the legal community ... have been quite reserved in comments and speculation
regarding the ACC but all of a sudden early this week commented ... Ok Get Ready ... it's coming
-No idea of the actual time line FOR it to happen but would not be surprised if there were some
announcements prior to this season.
-Reconfiguration of the ACC.
-More specific comments were made but I cannot share those.
-There are definitely journalists that have contacts that have their stories "in the oven" awaiting the green light.

That's it.

Advertisement

-The ACC is Screwed
-Well funded programs not happy and want out ... FSU will get out ... others as well
-Has contacts in the legal community ... have been quite reserved in comments and speculation
regarding the ACC but all of a sudden early this week commented ... Ok Get Ready ... it's coming
-No idea of the actual time line FOR it to happen but would not be surprised if there were some
-There are definitely journalists that have contacts that have their stories "in the oven" awaiting the green light.

That's it.
Basically said he has legal contacts that are following the case that are saying the ACC is going to be losing teams soon. He said that his contacts don’t have much if any interest in the sport and are strictly speaking from a legal point of view.

He said that action may not happen before the start of the 2024 season but it wouldn’t be surprising if the changes are announced before then.

He said FSU is not the only team that will be leaving too.
Thank you both!!

They could have at any time but they haven’t. Even in the Covid season, there was no serious discussion of leaving the ACC affiliation for the B1G or the SEC although they could easily afford the exit fee. I don’t think people understand how much Notre Dame dislikes the B1G. They really like the current setup with the ACC.

Phillips is looking for a big time move to show the ACC is stable. Right now there is no other conference that looks as close to disappearing like the Pac12 as the ACC. Notre Dame wants to keep its tv deal with NBC and have scheduling flexibility but they also don’t want the ACC to disappear. I would not be surprised if ND repays the favor of the Covid season by agreeing to a drug deal with Phillips. Phillips announces that ND has “officially” joined the ACC but in reality Notre Dame remains independent in all but name (they get to keep NBC contract, still have more scheduling flexibility than other ACC teams, but also have to play 7 or 8 ACC teams instead of 5). It would obviously just be window dressing, but people have a short attention span. The headline will read "Notre Dame drops independence for the ACC"and it gets a ton of buzz and makes Phillips appear like a strong commissioner. Few people are going to dig into the particulars. It doesn’t bring more money to the ACC so the underlying problems don’t change, but right now the key issue is perception and the drug deal buys Phillips and the ACC some time.

Again I think the most likely outcome of all this is the ACC slims down and increases quality - it " adds" ND, and sends a few teams (Louisville, Syracuse, possibly NC St) to the Big 12 without them having to pay the exit fee to increase the payout to the remaining ACC teams, espn agrees to up the payouts because of the market competitiveness clause in the contract, and most importantly, the ACC does a massive overhaul of the revenue distribution so the teams that get the best ratings get more money.

On paper the top teams in the ACC will make reasonably close to what the P2 makes (not the entire conference just the top teams). FSU and Clemson drop their complaints and can live with the ACC arrangement for a few more years knowing the one giant mega conference is on the horizon.
Britney Spears What GIF

I have agreed with some of your points in the past as I don't think Miami to the B1G or SEC is as much of a slam dunk as some on here think, but I think your description of this "drug deal" for ND to kinda, sorta, not really join the ACC fulltime is apropos. I think you've been imbibing a bit.

How can they announce ND is a full-time member if they don't play a full slate of 8 conference games? If they do play 8 conference games and can play in the ACC Championship game, how do they have any more schedule flexibility than other ACC teams? Few people are going to dig into the particulars? Come on man. It's ND giving up its long-held, proud independence. It's not something to be swept under the carpet.

Then, FSU and Clemson are going to give up their fight to exit the ACC, but the conference is going to let Louisville, Syracuse, and N.C. State go to the Big 12 without making them pay exit fees? You think FSU and Clemson aren't going right back to court to get out as the ACC would have just let schools out of the agreement? Just so they can get "reasonably close" to B1G money?

ND has never done anything to help the ACC without there being a benefit to ND itself (i.e. pushing for Stanford to the ACC). I'm sure they have a plan in place for their Olympic sports IF the ACC should implode after FSU and Clemson's cases are decided. For now, they make decent enough TV money, have a spot available in the playoff, and a place for their Olympic teams to play.

-The ACC is Screwed

That's it.
Okay that’s it?

Advertisement
So to summarize. Pate has friends that are lawyers that read CIS that follow Genetics and are now officially on the merry go round of something is happening at some point and boy will it be something big for someone and the ACC will be different…

Let’s ******* Go!!!
Yeah I could have provided that “update” and I don’t know ****.

They could have at any time but they haven’t. Even in the Covid season, there was no serious discussion of leaving the ACC affiliation for the B1G or the SEC although they could easily afford the exit fee. I don’t think people understand how much Notre Dame dislikes the B1G. They really like the current setup with the ACC.

Phillips is looking for a big time move to show the ACC is stable. Right now there is no other conference that looks as close to disappearing like the Pac12 as the ACC. Notre Dame wants to keep its tv deal with NBC and have scheduling flexibility but they also don’t want the ACC to disappear. I would not be surprised if ND repays the favor of the Covid season by agreeing to a drug deal with Phillips. Phillips announces that ND has “officially” joined the ACC but in reality Notre Dame remains independent in all but name (they get to keep NBC contract, still have more scheduling flexibility than other ACC teams, but also have to play 7 or 8 ACC teams instead of 5). It would obviously just be window dressing, but people have a short attention span. The headline will read "Notre Dame drops independence for the ACC"and it gets a ton of buzz and makes Phillips appear like a strong commissioner. Few people are going to dig into the particulars. It doesn’t bring more money to the ACC so the underlying problems don’t change, but right now the key issue is perception and the drug deal buys Phillips and the ACC some time.

Again I think the most likely outcome of all this is the ACC slims down and increases quality - it " adds" ND, and sends a few teams (Louisville, Syracuse, possibly NC St) to the Big 12 without them having to pay the exit fee to increase the payout to the remaining ACC teams, espn agrees to up the payouts because of the market competitiveness clause in the contract, and most importantly, the ACC does a massive overhaul of the revenue distribution so the teams that get the best ratings get more money.

On paper the top teams in the ACC will make reasonably close to what the P2 makes (not the entire conference just the top teams). FSU and Clemson drop their complaints and can live with the ACC arrangement for a few more years knowing the one giant mega conference is on the horizon.

No offense, but how would you know how Notre Dame feels? I would say there is zero chance they join the ACC for Football. I have some insight to how they think.

This entire post seems incorrect actually.

Advertisement
No offense, but how would you know how Notre Dame feels? I would say there is zero chance they join the ACC for Football. I have some insight to how they think.

Consider the source.

Advertisement

ND is leaving the ACC.

ACC has not done Miami any favors upping our coaching , facilities or NIL budget. F em.

Miami will dominate this conference and be in the sites of the Big2 when the dust settles.

Advertisement
Back