MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
I would take that large wager.

Flo is the master of practice reports and recruiting.

Flo doesn't know very much about UM's BOT and politics.
Especially since going to the B12 would have to make the least financial sense of any decision. First of all the payouts in the B12 are not better than the ACC. Second of all, even if they were, it won't be free to leave the ACC. Why the **** are we going to choose to pay minimum $100M+ to leave the ACC to join the B12 for max like $5-10M more per year, with absolutely zero other benefits? Even if you believe we would make more in the B12 over the B10 (until 2030), A) you'd be dumb to think it's more than $5-10M/yr more, B)The B12 is a lower tier conference, and associating ourselves with them is far worse than the current ACC and 10x worse than the B10/SEC. I honestly don't get any argument for joining the B12 over staying in the ACC. What the **** would be the point.

t

this. i think its a brilliant move by Yaromark(however you spell his last name but i remember him from his panthers days). hes been a good commissioner for the b12 since he took over.

As I said a few days ago, people always underestimate how impactful a visionary leader can be for an organization. Yormark the Destroyer is going to find a way to get the Big 12 payouts to be in the same neighborhood as the P2.

I think Yormark’s style would greatly appeal to the new top dog on the BOT, Laurie Silvers. She spoke to my law school class many years ago and told the story of going from just a small time in-house lawyer for a tiny local cable provider in the mid-west to launching her own tv channel (Sci-Fi network). I could absolutely see her liking the opportunity to be the flagship school in a conference where UM could get paid nearly as much as the P2 (as Yormark is wheeling and dealing, I think he gets them close), but UM would wield vastly more power than it would in the P2 and the conference has far more flexibility to find new revenue opportunities than the P2, which are basically owned and controlled by the tv networks.

Swaim is just as bad or worse than
As I said a few days ago, people always underestimate how impactful a visionary leader can be for an organization. Yormark the Destroyer is going to find a way to get the Big 12 payouts to be in the same neighborhood as the P2.

I think Yormark’s style would greatly appeal to the new top dog on the BOT, Laurie Silvers. She spoke to my law school class many years ago and told the story of going from just a small time in-house lawyer for a tiny local cable provider in the mid-west to launching her own tv channel (Sci-Fi network). I could absolutely see her liking the opportunity to be the flagship school in a conference where UM could get paid nearly as much as the P2 (as Yormark is wheeling and dealing, I think he gets them close), but UM would wield vastly more power than it would in the P2 and the conference has far more flexibility to find new revenue opportunities than the P2, which are basically owned and controlled by the tv networks.
Riiiiiiiight. The big 12 will pay Miami $80M+ to pay a bunch of left over schools in a conference with extremely limited media partners. Makes perfect sense.

The mental gymnastics you perform to relegate Miami to the Big 12 is beyond laughable. Why do you hate Miami? Why are you so excited to put the nail in the coffin of Miami football? You must be a Nole.

Especially since going to the B12 would have to make the least financial sense of any decision. First of all the payouts in the B12 are not better than the ACC. Second of all, even if they were, it won't be free to leave the ACC. Why the **** are we going to choose to pay minimum $100M+ to leave the ACC to join the B12 for max like $5-10M more per year, with absolutely zero other benefits? Even if you believe we would make more in the B12 over the B10 (until 2030), A) you'd be dumb to think it's more than $5-10M/yr more, B)The B12 is a lower tier conference, and associating ourselves with them is far worse than the current ACC and 10x worse than the B10/SEC. I honestly don't get any argument for joining the B12 over staying in the ACC. What the **** would be the point.
One aspect you are omitting is the fact that the ACC media payout MIGHT be significantly lower once FSU / Clemson / UNC leave. Even if UNC remains - it is possible that if the composition clause is enacted ESPN will lower their per school payout to the remaining ACC schools to $30 M or less.

1718305661077.gif

Advertisement

There’s no universe where this happens.

Also, Laurie Silvers is not the new top dog on the BOT. Manny Kadre is. And from what I’ve read about him, he doesn’t strike me as a guy that’s content with being the king of the kiddy table. Same for Joe Echevarria. These are not guys who are content with being a big fish in a little pond.

Advertisement
Pretty interesting presentation. Showed the "Miami doesn't fill the seats" charts compared to the rest ... but then showed how dominant Miami has been in wins / #1 rankings / draws when good etc., which kind of neutralized the "attendance" issue. BUT the biggest take away from his presentation was the COMPARATIVE ECONOMIC strength of the programs and their ABILITY TO FUND ATHLETICS without resorting to debt.

UM's total university budget of $4.5 billion dollars is almost 3 times FSU's total budget and almost 4 times Clemson's total budget. Altimore stated " you can see why FSU and Clemson are aggressively going after a conference change to get an extra $30-40 million .... they drastically need it as their university system does not produce revenues / profits that might be used to support athletics, and they are going to have to rely on debt to fund any budgetary shortfalls. That total budget number is very important and Miami is very strong in that area, largely due to their health care activities."
5xaOcLBrUO7UIcx3ple.gif

Also, Laurie Silvers is not the new top dog on the BOT. Manny Kadre is. And from what I’ve read about him, he doesn’t strike me as a guy that’s content with being the king of the kiddy table. Same for Joe Echevarria. These are not guys who are content with being a big fish in a little pond.
Screenshot_20220104-200136_DuckDuckGo (2.jpg

Silvers is the new chair of the BOT, unless that changed in the last 3 weeks. And if you mean Kadre is the most powerful member of the BOT that maybe the case, but there are like 80+ trustees so I'm guessing they all have their little cliques. I don't know anything about the interpersonal dynamics of the BOT but I would guess that the Chair of the BOT wields considerable influence overall. And Silver does not seem like a person that would take that particular job and get pushed into the background.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One aspect you are omitting is the fact that the ACC media payout MIGHT be significantly lower once FSU / Clemson / UNC leave. Even if UNC remains - it is possible that if the composition clause is enacted ESPN will lower their per school payout to the remaining ACC schools to $30 M or less.
But then you have to counter that with the ACC has also implemented a more result-based payout arrangement. If FSU/Clemson left we'd likely receive a larger percentage of a smaller payout. Which when the payout is already larger than the B12, could still net more at the end of the day. And again, given it would absolutely cost >$100M to leave the ACC, over the next 5 years that'd be a value of $20M/yr. There is just no ******* way it would be worth it, even if ESPN lowered their payout to $25M. The B12 idea just is 100% dumb as **** imo. If we are paying to leave the ACC, the B12 is not an option. You take less money to go to the B10 or SEC which at least have other incentives.

Silvers is the new chair of the BOT, unless that changed in the last 3 weeks. And if you mean Kadre is the most powerful member of the BOT that maybe the case, but there are like 80+ trustees so I'm guessing they all have their little cliques. I don't know anything about the interpersonal dynamics of the BOT but I would guess that the Chair of the BOT wields considerable influence overall. And Silver does not seem like a person that would take that particular job and get pushed into the background.
Top left, vs bottom right. She was chair from 21-24. Kadre new chair.
1718308905900.png

Advertisement
Back