MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Best case scenario in Federal Court,.you could have this heard in 60 days.

I doubt that's what will happen, unless there are some issues that are truly nonsensical and can be disposed.

I suspect that there will be tons of affidavits and requested depositions and additional paper discovery.

So, it's unlikely to be heard quickly. One of the parties could drop frivolous counts, and the court has the right to rule on the papers. Neither is likely to happen, as this is such a complicated and contentious matter. I've got to believe the court will want oral argument.
I want dramatics. I want pounding fists on the desk. I want confrontation between ACC/FSU/Clemson witnesses and counsel.

I want behind the scenes forbidden love stories.

Oh, and somebody better faint.

Don't really give a **** how the case is actually ruled on.

Is that a fairly normal day for you gatos? I watched LA Law, I kinda know how this **** works.

It's a motion for partial summary judgment, so I'd like to know about the "partial" portion...
Believe it has to do with specific information Clemson attorneys found in the ESPN media agreement that was delivered to them a week ago.
They might be requesting a specific item to be ruled on ... such as the wording in the agreement that states that it is in effect only so long as the member institution remains a member of the conference. IF there is a ruling that basically states "GOR is effective only while Clemson is a member of the ACC and if they leave they leave with their rights " or something to that effect. Adios Mfer!! Not an attorney (or lawyer) but I did watch the entire Suits series!

Last edited:
I want dramatics. I want pounding fists on the desk. I want confrontation between ACC/FSU/Clemson witnesses and counsel.

I want behind the scenes forbidden love stories.

Oh, and somebody better faint.

Don't really give a **** how the case is actually ruled on.

Is that a fairly normal day for you gatos? I watched LA Law, I kinda know how this **** works.
no

What makes us so confident that ESPN will definitely enact the composition clause if they allow FSU and Clemson to leave?

The ACC deal was a huge value for ESPN. Even if FSU and Clemson leave, are we sure ESPN won’t still see value in ACC, especially if ACC can add another team or two?

I suspect that if FSU and Clemson leave and ESPN not only doesn't enact the composition clause but opts in to the extension, the majority of remaining universities will approve the extension as a mere formality and force schools that still want to leave to pay the ACC $$$ in order to do so. I think the question is who will the ACC approach to add to their league? You got Cal/Stanford, could see them picking up a couple extra west coast schools for sure.

At the end of the day, will Miami be able to leave? Yes. But I think Miami will still have to come up with the money to do so. I don’t think the ACC and ESPN/Fox are going to be horse trading anything other than FSU and Clemson for the foreseeable future.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease in the end?

Advertisement
What makes us so confident that ESPN will definitely enact the composition clause if they allow FSU and Clemson to leave?

The ACC deal was a huge value for ESPN. Even if FSU and Clemson leave, are we sure ESPN won’t still see value in ACC, especially if ACC can add another team or two?

I suspect that if FSU and Clemson leave and ESPN not only doesn't enact the composition clause but opts in to the extension, the majority of remaining universities will approve the extension as a mere formality and force schools that still want to leave to pay the ACC $$$ in order to do so. I think the question is who will the ACC approach to add to their league? You got Cal/Stanford, could see them picking up a couple extra west coast schools for sure.

At the end of the day, will Miami be able to leave? Yes. But I think Miami will still have to come up with the money to do so. I don’t think the ACC and ESPN/Fox are going to be horse trading anything other than FSU and Clemson for the foreseeable future.

The only way ESPN opts in is if they significantly reduce the payout since the two most valuable properties are gone? Why would Miami want to sign that (assuming they have the option of course).

The only way ESPN opts in is if they significantly reduce the payout since the two most valuable properties are gone? Why would Miami want to sign that (assuming they have the option of course).
Good questions.

For what its worth, I don’t feel like ESPN will enact the composition clause and I think even with FSU and Clemson gone, the remaining ACC, with Stanford, Clemson and SMU will be market value for ESPN… it just won’t be the great value it was before.

I don’t think Miami will vote to approve the extension if there is a vote. But with FSU/Clemson gone, I think in the likely event that ESPN wants to extend, I think it’s easy to imagine a scenario where 3/4 of the schools jump on that deal. Only Miami and UNC would have P2 options and the rest would be hoping for B12 offers which pays less at the moment. They would stay in the ACC if that is other option.

Well if they kept it and the two highest competitors left, we'd be guaranteed to make more money than we are right now, because the ACC has implemented the performance based pay thing. So in that situation worst case scenario is we staying in ACC and made more money. Thats another reason these dummies talking about B12 make zero sense. Obviously there is no way we are choosing ACC over B10 or SEC.

Depends on WHERE FSU goes. ESPN supposedly wants them in the SEC and is prepared to extend the ACC media agreement to keep other schools in ... if they do. However if they decide they choose the B10 then ESPN might not want to continue paying for a dramatically devalued group of leftover programs that DO NOT draw viewers. Clemson & FSU have been THE big game viewer leaders by a significant margin for the past 15 years. Media value drops by possibly 45-50% with them gone. For ESPN it would be better to blow it up, grab a couple of decent programs that fit their geographic needs (UNC / UVA) and call it a day.

Advertisement
Well if they kept it and the two highest competitors left, we'd be guaranteed to make more money than we are right now, because the ACC has implemented the performance based pay thing. So in that situation worst case scenario is we staying in ACC and made more money. Thats another reason these dummies talking about B12 make zero sense. Obviously there is no way we are choosing ACC over B10 or SEC.
There wouldn't be any money left to pay remaining ACC members right?

I'm hearing FSU gets to leave on their own without penalty, they get an exclusive contract with ABC that has a stipulation they're always the highest paid team, and they get a guaranteed spot in the playoffs with first round bye. Everyone else has to stay in the ACC and can't leave, ever.

Take it for what it's worth, but the guy that said this on Twitter claims to know the apocalypse date too. Also has SEC ties.

Fine to have a performance based distribution (remember um was 3-5 in the ACC last year), but IF FSU / Clemson head to the B10, announcing before the end of June, then ESPN can enact the composition clause .... then all bets are off on the media agreement. They can offer 30% less than the current agreement or even opt out and let the ACC seek a new media partner. THEN the B12 would appear to be the most stable option for many schools that can't get a P2 landing spot (which won't be many).

Advertisement
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. My intention is never to cause harm or distress. If there's anything specific that's led to this perception, I'd like to understand and address it. Constructive dialogue can help bridge misunderstandings. Remember, even in moments of frustration, respectful communication is key. Here's an interesting fact: "Subtext is an anagram for buttsex" And please, feel free to use the "@" sign to address me directly!

Just to clarify, I'm not the athletic director. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss or address regarding my role or performance, please let me know.
These are special cases to where the 🖕🏿 reaction button is needed.

Advertisement
It's a motion for partial summary judgment, so I'd like to know about the "partial" portion...
Fluagar posted the request for partial summary judgment and it DOES specify the GOR / Media agreement. Clemson attorneys are requesting a confirmation from the court (ruling) that it does state that ESPN has not right to broadcast Clemson games once Clemson is no longer a member of the ACC.

Fluagar posted the request for partial summary judgment and it DOES specify the GOR / Media agreement. Clemson attorneys are requesting a confirmation from the court (ruling) that it does state that ESPN has not right to broadcast Clemson games once Clemson is no longer a member of the ACC.
So are you saying that they are asking the Court for a declaratory judgement with respect to the media rights agreement?

So are you saying that they are asking the Court for a declaratory judgement with respect to the media rights agreement?
That is apparently what the partial declaratory judgment was requested for .... some specific phrasing within the ESPN media rights agreement that is tied to the GOR.

Advertisement
Back