MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

So, if ESPN puts on pressure and presents a financial offer to FSU / Clemson that they can't turn down, and UNC is locked into the ACC for political reasons, then Miami is next man up for the Big 10 along with?

Advertisement
So, if ESPN puts on pressure and presents a financial offer to FSU / Clemson that they can't turn down
Straight up Cane brotha: There is NO world is which the finances and fit are not significantly better for FSU/Clemson in the SEC as compared to the B1G.

The economics here are about way more than whether ESPN or FOX comes up with the better media rights offer

(I know a majority of fans here prefer the B1G over the SEC, which is certainly fine. But the SEC definitely would be better financially for the Canes as well)

... and UNC is locked into the ACC for political reasons, then Miami is next man up for the Big 10 along with?

Good question

Feel like we'll have to wait for ND to realize it has no choice but to join the B1G, but maybe something happens beforehand and we get our golden ticket to the B1G (or even better) the SEC

Straight up Cane brotha: There is NO world is which the finances and fit are not significantly better for FSU/Clemson in the SEC as compared to the B1G.

The economics here are about way more than whether ESPN or FOX comes up with the better media rights offer

(I know a majority of fans here prefer the B1G over the SEC, which is certainly fine. But the SEC definitely would be better financially for the Canes as well)

Good question

Feel like we'll have to wait for ND to realize it has no choice but to join the B1G, but maybe something happens beforehand and we get our golden ticket to the B1G (or even better) the SEC

You have absolutely ZERO information on which conference is financially better for any of FSU, Clemson, or Miami.

Look, here's the deal for F$U/Clemson.

To the BIG TEN, the conference itself stands to gain "more" by adding F$U/Clemson than the SEC will. Of that, the "extra carriage fees" will then be spread to 20 teams. So, yes, F$U and Clemson would get an individualized benefit from the Big 10 that the SEC cannot provide.

HOWEVER.

In the bigger picture...if F$U/Clemson go SEC...their EXPENSES will be much lower...and the fan interest will be a lot higher. They will have built-in rivalries with The Gator and South Carolina. The fanbase will have to pony up more contributions to be able to get all the SEC hot-tickets, both home and away.

Honest to God, regardless of Miami's own personal self-interest, I really think that F$U and Clemson are better off going to the SEC. Assuming they get an offer.

You have absolutely ZERO information on which conference is financially better for any of FSU, Clemson, or Miami.

See TOC's post above.

In addition to ticket sales and ticket demand (both of which drive pricing), there's the $$$ impact on Tallahassee when larger visiting crowds from regional schools come to Doak ... Not to mention the much less expensive (and more convenient) travel situation in favor of the SEC over the B1G.

And if we were talking Notre Dame here, we could make the exact same arguments in favor of the B1G over the SEC.

It's a geographical and cultural thing that ultimately impacts the economic side of the equation and trickles down to countless other aspects with regards to conference affiliation

Advertisement
Size of schools doesn't necessarily equate to viewership. This is 2023 "average TV viewers per game":

#7. FSU 3.58 million
#16. U of Florida 2.12 million
#22. Clemson 1.7 million
#32. Miami 1.33 million
#69. USF .463 (four hundred sixty three thousand)

No way that FOX has USF on their short list.
I’d have to say that those UM figures would drastically improve if we were playing and relevant something we haven’t been for 20 years which I’m imagining the time frame those figures were accrued in.
A relevant Miami winning and playing other winning teams is going to jump all those schools with the possible exception of FSU and I’m not so sure they would have more viewership for their games everything being equal.

You’re still not getting my point. I’m not arguing with ESPN. I’m saying if you were the ACC also being told to us that they don’t want to settle in what world would Boston College and Wake Forest as examples suddenly be OK with their TV partner, destroying their world by negotiating them out of their deal into a ****tier, one without threatening lawsuit of their own their own.
Gotcha, as undesirable schools to the P2 they will have to take what they get or go to the Big 12. They really don't have much of a choice.

See TOC's post above.

In addition to ticket sales and ticket demand (both of which drive pricing), there's the $$$ impact on Tallahassee when larger visiting crowds from regional schools come to Doak ... Not to mention the much less expensive (and more convenient) travel situation in favor of the SEC over the B1G.

And if we were talking Notre Dame here, we could make the exact same arguments in favor of the B1G over the SEC.

It's a geographical and cultural thing that ultimately impacts the economic side of the equation and trickles down to countless other aspects with regards to conference affiliation

Academic research matter at all? Or we just talking a hillbilly tax of going to see Starkvegas vs West Lafayette once every few years

Advertisement
Academic research matter at all?

Good question.

I think Miami's AAU affiliation would mean just as much if not more than a spot in the B1G as far as "academic consortiums" go.

I mean the Canes are in the ACC right now with Duke, UNC, UVA, ND (kind of) Wake and BC ... and it's a very safe bet Frenk and the administration would immediately OK a move to the SEC (if the B1G wasn't an option) in order to improve the financials for football, basketball and the rest.

More than anything else, the vast majority of these eggheads running universities want athletics to pay for itself while staying far away from the large boosters who fund their pet academic programs and facilities. These folks are very territorial about their big money folks.

Good question.

I think Miami's AAU affiliation would mean just as much if not more than a spot in the B1G as far as "academic consortiums" go.

I mean the Canes are in the ACC right now with Duke, UNC, UVA, ND (kind of) Wake and BC ... and it's a very safe bet Frenk and the administration would immediately OK a move to the SEC (if the B1G wasn't an option) in order to improve the financials for football, basketball and the rest.

More than anything else, the vast majority of these eggheads running universities want athletics to pay for itself while staying far away from the large boosters who fund their pet academic programs and facilities. These folks are very territorial about their big money folks.

Most people that would be worried are worried that the egg or meatheads running Miami OK staying vs picking the wrong big 2…

Academic research matter at all?

Neither F$U or Clemson are in the AAU. Yet. Maybe in the future, but not yet.

SEC is getting better with certain schools (Texas), plus the population growth in the south. Now, former ****hole schools like Alabama are starting to LOOK like they have decent academics.

F$U would actually be closer to the top-end of the SEC than the Big 10.

Advertisement
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM…WATCH YOUR MOUTH
are you
iron man GIF

or
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Neither F$U or Clemson are in the AAU. Yet. Maybe in the future, but not yet.

SEC is getting better with certain schools (Texas), plus the population growth in the south. Now, former ****hole schools like Alabama are starting to LOOK like they have decent academics.

F$U would actually be closer to the top-end of the SEC than the Big 10.
Makes sense. How about in our case? B1G???

Advertisement
Look, here's the deal for F$U/Clemson.

To the BIG TEN, the conference itself stands to gain "more" by adding F$U/Clemson than the SEC will. Of that, the "extra carriage fees" will then be spread to 20 teams. So, yes, F$U and Clemson would get an individualized benefit from the Big 10 that the SEC cannot provide.

HOWEVER.

In the bigger picture...if F$U/Clemson go SEC...their EXPENSES will be much lower...and the fan interest will be a lot higher. They will have built-in rivalries with The Gator and South Carolina. The fanbase will have to pony up more contributions to be able to get all the SEC hot-tickets, both home and away.

Honest to God, regardless of Miami's own personal self-interest, I really think that F$U and Clemson are better off going to the SEC. Assuming they get an offer.
Isn't FSU and Miami better off in the B1G when looking at the whole picture? For instance Miami being an AAU member and FSU being a future member. If I am a University President I am looking at the academic standing and research $ as well if offers are on the table from both conferences. I don't think Miami gets an SEC offer to begin with. FSU President may be interested in the research $ and academic standing as well.

I want so bad to stick it to the SEC snobs! I would like to see both Miami and FSU end up in the B1G. The additions of USC, Wash, Oregon, FSU and Miami can help even things up competitively with the SEC. Oregon may end up being the B1G champion this year and FSU/Miami/USC building back up into powers again can achieve that. Washington may fall off now that Deboer is gone but Fisch is a **** good coach as well. I am not sure that UCLA can make the conference more dominant in the future.

Isn't FSU and Miami better off in the B1G when looking at the whole picture? For instance Miami being an AAU member and FSU being a future member. If I am a University President I am looking at the academic standing and research $ as well if offers are on the table from both conferences. I don't think Miami gets an SEC offer to begin with. FSU President may be interested in the research $ and academic standing as well.

I want so bad to stick it to the SEC snobs! I would like to see both Miami and FSU end up in the B1G. The additions of USC, Wash, Oregon, FSU and Miami can help even things up competitively with the SEC. Oregon may end up being the B1G champion this year and FSU/Miami/USC building back up into powers again can achieve that. Washington may fall off now that Deboer is gone but Fisch is a **** good coach as well. I am not sure that UCLA can make the conference more dominant in the future.
On one hand, I give less than zero ***** about FSU's future.... on the other, I would rather them come to the B1G with Miami to simply avoid dealing with 2 sets of SEC ******* rivals...

Advertisement
Back