MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Depends on WHO you talk to. Lot of people out there that have UNC as THE most coveted program by both the B10 and SEC ... but it might be politically impossible for them to get out.

Not impossible at all ... unless you believe the SEC won't go beyond 20 schools.

Fill out a 24-team SEC that doesn't have both UNC and NC State and UVA and VA Tech. Not sure it can be done, realistically.

Greg Sankey is well aware of the political mine fields in North Carolina and Virginia if he doesn't take each of the top two (public) brands in both — especially after adding Clemson from a state with just half of NC's and only 60% of VA's population

Last edited:
Not impossible at all ... unless you believe the SEC won't go beyond 20 schools.

Fill out a 24-team SEC that doesn't have both UNC and NC State and UVA and VA Tech. Not sure it can be done, realistically.

Greg Sankey is well aware of the political mine fields in North Carolina and Virginia if he doesn't take both of the top two (public) brands in both — especially after adding Clemson from a state with just half of NC's and only 60% of VA's population
Wish they would rip the bandaid off and both go to 24. But ... they have just signed new media contracts that run until 2030 / 2031 ... and that is why people are saying the most each conference will add ... now ... is 2 teams each. Then the next move is 2030.

So .... what about the Canes fans here (y'all know who you are) that "respect" FSU when, inevitably, the Noles follow their friends in Gainesville and drop the annual Big 3 series with Miami?

Because it's 100% going to happen
FSU will drop kick Chief Osceola in the jimmy, and do whatever else it takes, to satisfy whatever they deem is their long-term interest.

Maintaining the annual matchups with Miami and/or UF are about 9,999,999,999 on their priority list.

Side question...IF FSU was forced to choose maintaining only one game between Miami and UF, they pick?

I say UF, what say you?

Wish they would rip the bandaid off and both go to 24. But ... they have just signed new media contracts that run until 2030 / 2031 ... and that is why people are saying the most each conference will add ... now ... is 2 teams each. Then the next move is 2030.
So the SEC is now at 16 teams with the addition of UT and OU right? Feels like it would have to look something like they take Clemson, FSU, UVA, and VT now to get to 20. Tell UNC, when 2030 hits, you and NCST will both be joining as well, ACC in the meantime sweetens the pot for UNC as the last big time program after Clemson, FSU, UVA, VT leave for SEC and then we leave for B1G with GT or a different traveling companion.

Advertisement
This all feels like a stopgap measure until a complete reorganization. 2030 sounds about right.

So the SEC is now at 16 teams with the addition of UT and OU right? Feels like it would have to look something like they take Clemson, FSU, UVA, and VT now to get to 20. Tell UNC, when 2030 hits, you and NCST will both be joining as well, ACC in the meantime sweetens the pot for UNC as the last big time program after Clemson, FSU, UVA, VT leave for SEC and then we leave for B1G with GT or a different traveling companion.
Did read another interesting comment ... "SEC really does NOT want FSU / Clemson to go to the Big 10 ... IF they do go to the Big 10 ESPN is prepared to immediately enact the composition clause and blow up the current media agreement, making ACC teams available for other conferences". This could create a Pac 12 type panic as teams scramble to find "healthier homes" and the ACC "leadership" attempts to piece together some sort of leftover conference to keep their paychecks flowing. Just have a feeling that it's going to be like watching a train wreck.

This all feels like a stopgap measure until a complete reorganization. 2030 sounds about right.

Yeah, but if more money is made available, 2030 will be quickly forgotten. I've never seen any profit-chasing institution (including a university) say "let me wait 6 years until I can make more money".

Advertisement
Siap & anyone subscribe to read?

You don’t really need to subscribe it’s all in the headline. I don’t know Florida state law, enough or North Carolina for that matter to know if they have something similar to the supreme court amicus briefs (edit- seems to be similar) but regardless of whether it is public posturing or not all the conferences under their warlord masters, have aligned with the ACC and not wanting the media agreement between the ESPN crew and ACC to be made public in the state of Florida thanks to the state Attorney General’s filing in court

I was going to try to be shocked, but what would be the point

Last edited:
Yeah, but if more money is made available, 2030 will be quickly forgotten. I've never seen any profit-chasing institution (including a university) say "let me wait 6 years until I can make more money".
Absolutely not. I'm just giving the impression that I get. Regardless of what shake up takes place here, I think there's more to come. I still think we end up in the Big 10 sooner rather than later.

He is FSU guy, but this is by far the best information he has put out for ALL INVOLVED.
-A settlement is unlikely
-ESPN with a much "more hands" on role
-ESPN working to allow those who want to leave to leave
-ESPN working new tiered deal for those that stay
-He thinks there is a reason the UF AD said what he said
-He thinks the Utah AD comments are BS, kind of like our ADs comments are BS
-Baseball teams decoupling
-New media deal has until June 30th to be agreed upon
-GOR is written on toilet paper
-SEC will make a powerful push (imo at least Clemson's preference)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Siap & anyone subscribe to read?

The Big 12, Big 10, and SEC have simply joined the ACC in taking that position that the ESPN media agreements should not BE MADE PUBLIC, as requested by AG Moody. They filed an Amicus Brief on Wednesday in Leon County Court. Don't see it as an issue as long as the agreement is made available TO AG Moody and also the judge in the FSU case, on a basis of confidentiality.

FSU will drop kick Chief Osceola in the jimmy, and do whatever else it takes, to satisfy whatever they deem is their long-term interest.

Maintaining the annual matchups with Miami and/or UF are about 9,999,999,999 on their priority list.

Side question...IF FSU was forced to choose maintaining only one game between Miami and UF, they pick?

I say UF, what say you?
FSU and UF are required, by state law, to play every year.

Advertisement
He is FSU guy, but this is by far the best information he has put out for ALL INVOLVED.

Really interesting listen. Sounds like the "**** is getting ready to hit the fan".

I say UF, what say you?
LMFAO! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

almost by definition, if the 1- the ACC isn't willing to settle, then 2 ESPN being more hands-on in negotiating deal with exits are in direct conflict.

just saying.

Advertisement
Back