MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I don’t think for a second those tea-sips at UNC would willingly go to the SEC and get lumped in with the hicks. There’s a TON of loot flowing through UNC that’s not related to football, and quite a few of the power players there couldn’t care less about football.
I agree, the people at UNC feel more like B10 than SEC

Advertisement
And the good news is a lot of the B10 schools are close to major airports. From Chicago it's an easy drive to NW, ILL, Indiana, ND, Wisc, Ann Arbor... or you fly into Detroit to get to Michigan, MSU, or Ohio State. New York for Rutgers, DC for UMD, LA easy just far but nonstop.. only really tough ones are NEB, PSU, Iowa, MINN.

Did Notre Dame join the Big Ten? Funny though Swarbrick is on record as hating the ACC travel for the non revenue teams. The Big 10 does help them, because they can now easily bus to 5-6 schools. With the ACC they have to fly everywhere and not easy getting anywhere other than the big hubs from South Bend. Hope we are connected to them, because they are going to move if they get the right deal.

If you don't want to fly to the North for games then maybe you'd like to fly to wherever the Big12 games are being played, because Miami isn't going to the SEC. So that's your other option.
A Brightline party to our first game in the Big 12 in Orlando against perennial national champion UCF. Everyone do a shot each time we kill a homeless person or facilitate a suicide on the tracks. Gonna be ****faced by the time we hit Vero!

Did the Chicago-ND trip back in 2017 and it wasn't so bad. Granted, a group of us hired a limo and drank the whole way but IIRC, it was closer to 2 hours than 3 and it was mostly highway.
Not for nothing, if your local airport has Delta flights, you can fly into South Bend Regional and it's only like 15 mins from there. Recently had some work related stuff out there and flew into South Bend. Not bad at all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not for nothing, if your local airport has Delta flights, you can fly into South Bend Regional and it's only like 15 mins from there. Recently had some work related stuff out there and flew into South Bend. Not bad at all.
Fly to Chicago. Stay in the city for the weekend and rent a car to take to south bend. That’s what I did last time we played at nd. Good luck staying in south bend during a football game

I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.

I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.
UCFs already in the b12 with a brand new deal with them. i would assume the buyout for them isnt cheap

Advertisement

It's an interesting take, I grant you, but I seriously doubt that the average B1G fan may not even know about USF or even what market they are in.
Anything can happen, but if the B1G wants to be proactive aside from us, the obvious choice would be UNC.
With this move the make significant footprints in 2 states and deep into SEC territory.

It's an interesting take, I grant you, but I seriously doubt that the average B1G fan may not even know about USF or even what market they are in.
Anything can happen, but if the B1G wants to be proactive aside from us, the obvious choice would be UNC.
With this move the make significant footprints in 2 states and deep into SEC territory.
Agreed. I'm not sure USF moves the needle that much market wise if they take Miami. UNC, UVA, and even GT would be much more beneficial than USF in regards to extending their reach, and all are AAU already.

Look back in the thread. We have talked A LOT about how midwesterners come down 75 and relocate to the west coast of Florida, from Tampa to Naples.

Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't, but USF should be considered to be a dark horse candidate.

Trust me, the average Big 10 fan knows exactly where Tampa is.

Advertisement
UCFs already in the b12 with a brand new deal with them. i would assume the buyout for them isnt cheap

I understand, I know the UCF situation very well. But I guaran-*******-tee you that if USF vaulted them and landed a Big 10 membership, they'd do everything possible to jump, no matter what the "new deal" and "buyout" would be.

That's one thing you can book on UCF-USF...the rivalry is real.

Look back in the thread. We have talked A LOT about how midwesterners come down 75 and relocate to the west coast of Florida, from Tampa to Naples.

Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't, but USF should be considered to be a dark horse candidate.

Trust me, the average Big 10 fan knows exactly where Tampa is.

They may know Tampa, but how many know South Florida is there??

They may know Tampa, but how many know South Florida is there??

They know. Trust me, they know.

Doesn't mean USF is their favorite team or anything, but again, the "Florida" play for the Big 10 is not just "Miami fans" or "SemenHole fans" or "Bull**** fans", it's also the fact that you'll get a multiplier effect from all the Big 10 fans who live in Florida or like to take trips to Florida.

Also, right now, UF can carry the Tampa market. But if "the local team" was playing in the Big 10, I guarantee it would damage the Gaytors ratings in that massive TV market.

They know. Trust me, they know.

Doesn't mean USF is their favorite team or anything, but again, the "Florida" play for the Big 10 is not just "Miami fans" or "SemenHole fans" or "Bull**** fans", it's also the fact that you'll get a multiplier effect from all the Big 10 fans who live in Florida or like to take trips to Florida.

Also, right now, UF can carry the Tampa market. But if "the local team" was playing in the Big 10, I guarantee it would damage the Gaytors ratings in that massive TV market.

That last part, what makes you think that?

College fans are largely loyal. Is it because it's a bigger opponent than there normally is or due to transplants?

Markets are nationwide with games on that you can watch from anywhere. Programming is based more on available fans than it is markets now. Granted, advertising revenue would go up for the local stations with the bigger match ups, but if USF is a bottom or mid tier team you aren't getting a lot of new viewers.

What were you getting at witb that? UF fans there aren't going to switch allegiance and the same is true of USF fans.

Advertisement
Back