MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I get the merits of the B1G and I'd take them in a heartbeat over our current situation, but the thought of flying to Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and California for games just doesn't excite me as much as going to Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana.

I'm still a sucker for regional football... and personally I hate the cold.

Look...you can pick some ****** venues in the Big 10. And you can also pick some ****** venues in the SEC.

If you are saying you don't want to fly into LA or Chicago...I don't know what to tell you.

As for the SEC, the Alabama and Mississippi trips are not good. Nor is Kentucky or Missouri (and I'm from Missouri) or South Carolina or Arkansas. And Oklahoma isn't going to worth a ****.

So that's 8 bad trips in the SEC. At least. And Hogtown isn't a great trip either, but for the chance to beat the **** out of The Gaytor.

Advertisement
UVa and Maryland was a nasty rivalry in the ACC in the day. Living in VA, I would love to see it again.
I can see UVA stadium here in Charlottesville from my office. I rarely go to UVA games unless it's to see Miami or if someone like Notre Dame comes into town. The fans here are the most milk toast folks i've ever seen. Would love to see some type of rivalry they'd get up for

Look...you can pick some ****** venues in the Big 10. And you can also pick some ****** venues in the SEC.

If you are saying you don't want to fly into LA or Chicago...I don't know what to tell you.

As for the SEC, the Alabama and Mississippi trips are not good. Nor is Kentucky or Missouri (and I'm from Missouri) or South Carolina or Arkansas. And Oklahoma isn't going to worth a ****.

So that's 8 bad trips in the SEC. At least. And Hogtown isn't a great trip either, but for the chance to beat the **** out of The Gaytor.

And the good news is a lot of the B10 schools are close to major airports. From Chicago it's an easy drive to NW, ILL, Indiana, ND, Wisc, Ann Arbor... or you fly into Detroit to get to Michigan, MSU, or Ohio State. New York for Rutgers, DC for UMD, LA easy just far but nonstop.. only really tough ones are NEB, PSU, Iowa, MINN.

Advertisement
I get the merits of the B1G and I'd take them in a heartbeat over our current situation, but the thought of flying to Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and California for games just doesn't excite me as much as going to Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana.

I'm still a sucker for regional football... and personally I hate the cold.
The only SEC schools that I would care to fly into are South Carolina, Georgia, Texas (Austin), and LSU

I went to auburn for a game…it’s an absolute hike to get to. Great time though, but probably wouldn’t do it again.

For the big 10, I’d love to do Madison, college station penn state, Columbus, Michigan, Notre dame, northwestern once their new stadium is built, and both LA stadiums

Could be wrong, but the big 10 stadiums seem easier to get to vs the SEC. I’ve really only researched traveling to SEC schools.

The only SEC schools that I would care to fly into are South Carolina, Georgia, Texas (Austin), and LSU

I went to auburn for a game…it’s an absolute hike to get to. Great time though, but probably wouldn’t do it again.

For the big 10, I’d love to do Madison, college station penn state, Columbus, Michigan, Notre dame, northwestern once their new stadium is built, and both LA stadiums

Could be wrong, but the big 10 stadiums seem easier to get to vs the SEC. I’ve really only researched traveling to SEC schools.

Don't bother with PSU, TBH. It's a hike to get there and in the middle of nowhere.

As for appearling locations, some of these have undergone massive revilitazations projects and some of them are just plain cool to visit.: Madison, Michigan , Columbus (supposedly it's been revitalized the past 10 years), Bloomington, NW, and Minny. Couldn't care less for Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, MSU, Rutgers, etc.

He wasn't referencing "non football sports events" when he mentioned "other money flowing through UNC. He was referencing the fact that UNC is the #10 ranked research university in the country and their Federal Research Funding is in excess of $750 million annually (UNC annual research budget is in excess of $1.2 billion dollars). So it is feasible that the UNC administration values being part of the B10, the #1 research conference in the USA, with a potential for INCREASED Federal Research funds that could significantly exceed the incremental media revenue. That could easily tip the scales from the SEC to the B10.
And I said It doesn't matter what the UNC administration wants if the Big10 media partners aren't willing to pay for UNC to be added because they aren't a value add for football like Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, and Clemson would be.

[BGCOLOR=initial]In this entire thread nobody has shown any evidence that UNC football is even close to the media draw that the other top 4 programs are. It really is that simple for the Big10. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]You think the Big10 presidents wouldn't be bending over backwards to add Stanford? Stanford is better than UNC in like every way. And the media partners already basically told the Big10 they wouldn't add to the pot, they'd slightly reduce the per school payout. That's why Stanford won't be in the Big10 in the near future. [/BGCOLOR]

Let’s not forget wonderful trips to Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, and beautiful Minnesota winters….
afd
I live in Texas though so maybe I’m a bit selfish knowing they’d play in state at least once a year…
No offense man but I'd prefer a winter trip to Madison and/or Minneapolis over a trip anytime to College Station. To each his own though.

Advertisement
And the good news is a lot of the B10 schools are close to major airports. From Chicago it's an easy drive to NW, ILL, Indiana, ND, Wisc, Ann Arbor... or you fly into Detroit to get to Michigan, MSU, or Ohio State. New York for Rutgers, DC for UMD, LA easy just far but nonstop.. only really tough ones are NEB, PSU, Iowa, MINN.
Dude it's not an easy drive from Chicago anywhere. It's a 3-hour brutal drive to South Bend even though its only 90 miles or so. Columbus OH and Minneapolis have direct flights I believe.

Dude it's not an easy drive from Chicago anywhere. It's a 3-hour brutal drive to South Bend even though its only 90 miles or so. Columbus OH and Minneapolis have direct flights I believe.
I've been reliably told that traffic and parking are not obstacles to game attendance. I assume that applies to every stadium.

I've been reliably told that traffic and parking are not obstacles to game attendance. I assume that applies to every stadium.
Nothing that would stop a true fan. But the word used was easy. In most cases I would prefer a flight connection in Chicago versus driving. South Bend and Champaign may be cost prohibitive though.

Advertisement
Nothing that would stop a true fan. But the word used was easy. In most cases I would prefer a flight connection in Chicago versus driving. South Bend and Champaign may be cost prohibitive though.
The question becomes how many are "true fans"? The more obstacles, the lower the attendance, both at home and away.

It's food for thought in all scenarios.

The question becomes how many are "true fans"? The more obstacles, the lower the attendance, both at home and away.

It's food for thought in all scenarios.
In my opinion most games in the BIG would be worth the effort (same for SEC). But let's be honest. The key is Miami itself. They need to start showing results in the next couple of years. If they don't, I'm content to watch on TV. I've been burned several times paying up to travel for a Miami game.

In my opinion most games in the BIG would be worth the effort (same for SEC). But let's be honest. The key is Miami itself. They need to start showing results in the next couple of years. If they don't, I'm content to watch on TV. I've been burned several times paying up to travel for a Miami game.
I'm actually the opposite. I usually have kids with me, so a lightly attended blowout game is much more fun for them and I don't feel like I missed anything leaving before it ends.

For big games, I have a 75" tv, a fully stocked beer fridge, and a pause button for when the beer runs its course.

Advertisement
Yeah depending on the time of day, it can take 2 hours just to get out of the greater Chicago area. Flying into Indianapolis would be much more manageable to get to Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, etc.

Did the Chicago-ND trip back in 2017 and it wasn't so bad. Granted, a group of us hired a limo and drank the whole way but IIRC, it was closer to 2 hours than 3 and it was mostly highway.

Did the Chicago-ND trip back in 2017 and it wasn't so bad. Granted, a group of us hired a limo and drank the whole way but IIRC, it was closer to 2 hours than 3 and it was mostly highway.
Its doable in 2 hours but traffic has to be pretty light. Doing the limo thing is the way to go.

Getting through Chicagoland out ORD is a nightmare though on a whole other level. Just getting to downtown is an hour to hour and a half. If you take 290/294 around the city it still takes forever although I’d imagine it would be quicker.

Advertisement
Back