MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Everything you're saying has merit. What will be fascinating is how the Big 10 analyzes this choice.

On one side for the Big 10, we all know F$U is "close" to AAU membership, so if the Big 10 is able to appeal to F$U's "academic thirst", then you conceivably get the double-shot entry into Florida, plus a natural rivalry (UM-F$U). On the SEC side of the pitch, they can appeal to F$U's "competitive thirst" to play Florida annually, as well as the rest of the SEC teams, and so it will be fun to see which way F$U might lean.

On the other side for the Big 10, you have UVa that can help deliver another large state (Virginia) while potentially INCREASING the profile of Maryland, which has been lingering as one of the lesser Big 10 programs. Between UVa and UMD, you can lock up the DMV region, even while "losing" VaTech to the SEC. By no means is the DMV region as aggressively pro-football as the state of Florida is, but it's a big, wealthy, and politically powerful market that lies between Baltimore and Richmond/Charlottesville.

The Big 10 probably has to pick one of those two, but not both.
UVa and Maryland was a nasty rivalry in the ACC in the day. Living in VA, I would love to see it again.

Advertisement
Everything you're saying has merit. What will be fascinating is how the Big 10 analyzes this choice.

On one side for the Big 10, we all know F$U is "close" to AAU membership, so if the Big 10 is able to appeal to F$U's "academic thirst", then you conceivably get the double-shot entry into Florida, plus a natural rivalry (UM-F$U). On the SEC side of the pitch, they can appeal to F$U's "competitive thirst" to play Florida annually, as well as the rest of the SEC teams, and so it will be fun to see which way F$U might lean.

On the other side for the Big 10, you have UVa that can help deliver another large state (Virginia) while potentially INCREASING the profile of Maryland, which has been lingering as one of the lesser Big 10 programs. Between UVa and UMD, you can lock up the DMV region, even while "losing" VaTech to the SEC. By no means is the DMV region as aggressively pro-football as the state of Florida is, but it's a big, wealthy, and politically powerful market that lies between Baltimore and Richmond/Charlottesville.

I can understand the appeal of UVA academically and for its presence in the DMV region and Virginia in general.

But in my opinion bringing FSU along with Miami is a value force multiplier to both brands because you preserve the rivalry and that becomes a huge asset to the B1G both regionally in the Southeast and nationally.

I think UVA would be tough to pick over FSU with Miami.

I think 3 destinations seem like the most logical - Notre Dame and Miami to the Big10, and UNC to the SEC. This isn't because of the value ranking, it's just what makes the most sense for those 3 parties and what the respective conference AND MEDIA partner desires. UNC Imo has far more value to the SEC than the Big10, who I believe would have them like 5th on their priority list. The SEC wishes to remain a regional conference. And North Carolina is the largest population market they aren't currently in. And obviously UNC has a great brand and is athletically great except for football which they are mostly just average at. But that is fine in the SEC where they are already so football dominant. The BIG10 needs more football dominant schools.

FSU and Clemson are the most difficult to predict because I think the SEC and BIG10 would both value them very highly so it wouldn't be such a clear cut they should/will do this. Like I feel like both going to the Big10 with Notre Dame and Us make a **** load of sense, but I also just can't see the SEC allowing the Big 10 to add all 4 of us. especially when FSU and Clemson are such good cultural fits with them and how they want to stay regional.

I wouldn't be surprised if the realignment by 2026 (so IN the new conferences for 2026 season) is:

Big 10: Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, and Clemson. .... Next up being Oregon, VTech, Washington, Stanford, GTech, Pitt, and Cal.
SEC: UNC and UVA. .... Next up being VTech, GTech, OKSt, NCSt, Louisville.

But I think the natural size for both conferences is like 20 for SEC and 24 for Big10.

But I'd be feel like it's also possible for it to end up being:
BIG10: Notre Dame and Miami. ... With VTech and Oregon joining a few years later, and Washington, and another maybe a few after that...
SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA ... with them not adding anyone else period.

Last edited:
I think 3 destinations seem like the most logical - Notre Dame and Miami to the Big10, and UNC to the SEC. This isn't because of the value ranking, it's just what makes the most sense for those 3 parties and what the respective conference AND MEDIA partner desires. UNC Imo has far more value to the SEC than the Big10, who I believe would have them like 5th on their priority list. The SEC wishes to remain a regional conference. And North Carolina is the largest population market they aren't currently in. And obviously UNC has a great brand and is athletically great except for football which they are mostly just average at. But that is fine in the SEC where they are already so football dominant. The BIG10 needs more football dominant schools.

FSU and Clemson are the most difficult to predict because I think the SEC and BIG10 would both value them very highly so it wouldn't be such a clear cut they should/will do this. Like I feel like both going to the Big10 with Notre Dame and Us make a **** load of sense, but I also just can't see the SEC allowing the Big 10 to add all 4 of us. especially when FSU and Clemson are such good cultural fits with them and how they want to stay regional.

I wouldn't be surprised if the realignment by 2026 (so IN the new conferences for 2026 season) is:

Big 10: Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, and Clemson. .... Next up being Oregon, VTech, Washington, Stanford, GTech, Pitt, and Cal.
SEC: UNC and UVA. .... Next up being VTech, GTech, OKSt, NCSt, Louisville.

But I think the natural size for both conferences is like 20 for SEC and 24 for Big10.

But I'd be feel like it's going to end up being:
BIG10: Notre Dame and Miami. ... With VTech and Oregon joining a few years later, and Washington, and another maybe a few after that...
SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA ... with them not adding anyone else period.
There is not shot ok st is going to sec. They have enough mullets

There is not shot ok st is going to sec. They have enough mullets
I agree. But I think they would be in the "next up" tier if there had to be one. I only see the SEC adding max 4 more schools this decade. But if something were to change I think OKSt would be on the radar.

Advertisement
BIG10: Miami, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington
Later: Pittsburgh, Syracuse, VT, BC ?

SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA

BIG10: Miami, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington
Later: Pittsburgh, Syracuse, VT, BC ?

SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA
The problem with the "later" scenario is that there have to be at least 8 programs voting to dissolve the ACC ... the only practical way apparently to make the GOR go away. It doesn't seem feasible to simply have ND, Miami, FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC leave ... with the ACC continuing to operate so other programs can be poached "later".

It would seem that there HAS to be expansion activity in the B10, SEC and B12 to absorb at least 8-10 ACC programs in the next wave.

I could definitely see Louisville and Syracuse to the B12 as they are focusing on building THE dominant BB conference. Would Duke go that route as well?

-Big 10: Miami, ND, Ga Tech, UNC
-SEC: Clemson, FSU, UVA, Va Tech
-Big 12: Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC

That would take care of 12 ACC programs, eliminate the ACC and minimize any potential litigation by remaining ACC members (besides BC ... Blake James? and Wake).

I don’t think for a second those tea-sips at UNC would willingly go to the SEC and get lumped in with the hicks. There’s a TON of loot flowing through UNC that’s not related to football, and quite a few of the power players there couldn’t care less about football.

I don’t think for a second those tea-sips at UNC would willingly go to the SEC and get lumped in with the hicks. There’s a TON of loot flowing through UNC that’s not related to football, and quite a few of the power players there couldn’t care less about football.
And Fox, CBS, and NBC don't care about the non Football sports even 10% as much as the ability for these schools to generate viewership in Football and entering new markets.

Advertisement
I can understand the appeal of UVA academically and for its presence in the DMV region and Virginia in general.

But in my opinion bringing FSU along with Miami is a value force multiplier to both brands because you preserve the rivalry and that becomes a huge asset to the B1G both regionally in the Southeast and nationally.

I'm not disagreeing. Both angles have strong arguments. I just wanted to list the arguments, and not have this whole thing boil down to overly-simplistic things like "Florida is bigger than Virginia".

But just to point something out, the SEC is already (seemingly) looking at "we only need one of the Florida schools" with their plans. So we shall see if the Big 10 does so as well. I'd like to see UM and F$U stay together, THE GAYTOR TAKES BOTH SCHOOLS FOR GRANTED.

UVA doesn’t move the needle. I lived in VA for 20 years and VT is the dominant university in the area.

And Fox, CBS, and NBC don't care about the non Football sports even 10% as much as the ability for these schools to generate viewership in Football and entering new markets.
He wasn't referencing "non football sports events" when he mentioned "other money flowing through UNC. He was referencing the fact that UNC is the #10 ranked research university in the country and their Federal Research Funding is in excess of $750 million annually (UNC annual research budget is in excess of $1.2 billion dollars). So it is feasible that the UNC administration values being part of the B10, the #1 research conference in the USA, with a potential for INCREASED Federal Research funds that could significantly exceed the incremental media revenue. That could easily tip the scales from the SEC to the B10.

Advertisement
Exactly. I actually think if for some reason it became clear to the "genteel" clowns at UNC that if they drag their feet on blowing up the ACC that the only option that might be left is them forced to the SEC that they'd immediately soil their seersucker and our current conference would be dead within a week.

I get the merits of the B1G and I'd take them in a heartbeat over our current situation, but the thought of flying to Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and California for games just doesn't excite me as much as going to Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana.

I'm still a sucker for regional football... and personally I hate the cold.

I get the merits of the B1G and I'd take them in a heartbeat over our current situation, but the thought of flying to Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and California for games just doesn't excite me as much as going to Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana.

I'm still a sucker for regional football... and personally I hate the cold.
You ever go to an actual game at Alabama? IMO it's a very underwhelming experience and pales in comparison to the atmosphere of a big game at Michigan, Ohio State, Pedo State or the overall experience at USC.

I'm obviously just cherrypicking Baga here because they're essentially still the "gold standard" of that conference despite Jawja's current run and I fully understand this debate is mostly subjective so there are no actual wrong answers. That said, I actually hate the cold too so I'll absolutely curse all you guys if we do go to the SEC and I'm freezing my *** off anyway in late November at Mizzou, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.

Advertisement
I've been to games at Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and as well Ohio St, Michigan St & white out at Penn St. All game day experiences were all comparable except Vandy so imo, not a good comparison between the two.

Really comes down to which conference better fit.

If NC would move on from Mack Brown they could significantly upgrade their football program. The region is attractive to coaches and they do love football in NC and have talent. They've just had to adopt Clemson as UNC and NCSU could never get over the hump.

I've been to games at Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and as well Ohio St, Michigan St & white out at Penn St. All game day experiences were all comparable except Vandy so imo, not a good comparison between the two.

Really comes down to which conference better fit.
Let’s not forget wonderful trips to Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, and beautiful Minnesota winters….

I live in Texas though so maybe I’m a bit selfish knowing they’d play in state at least once a year…

Exactly. I actually think if for some reason it became clear to the "genteel" clowns at UNC that if they drag their feet on blowing up the ACC that the only option that might be left is them forced to the SEC that they'd immediately soil their seersucker and our current conference would be dead within a week.
For sure. Go ahead and call in the moving trucks if UNC pops smoke.

Advertisement
Back