MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Between FSU presidents being hacks, and their Athletic Dept being a joke and poor publicly, plus not great academics, BigTen schools wouldn’t touch fsu if it wasn’t for football

Their resurgence last year wasn’t that great if you dig into each game. God I hope we murk them this year
US News 2022-2023 national rankings has the following programs TIED at 55:

-U of Miami
-FSU
-Rutgers
-U of Maryland

U of Florida meanwhile has increased to #29 tied with UNC, while ND is #18. I know there were a lot of comments regarding Julio's performance and the decline in the UM ranking. From comments I hear there is legit B10 interest in FSU, not saying it will happen, but they are close to getting AAU approval.

Advertisement
I look at it this way. Whether UM/UiF/F$U want to "dignify" UCF and/or USF, it will likely happen without our choice.

First, UCF is already joining the Big 12. The Big 12 is LIKELY (not certain, just likely) to remain one of the "power" conferences. At some point, if there is a scramble for new members, USF may end up in that conference as well.

Second, the likelihood of UM/UiF/F$U playing those schools on a regular basis is low. If the Florida Big 3 end up in the Big 10 or SEC, then each conference will likely go to a 9-game conference schedule. So the OOC scheduling opportunities will be even harder to come by. I'd imagine that in the years where you only have 4 home conference games, a school may be tempted to schedule all 3 OOC games as home games. Imagine the Gaytors, in a year where they "should" have 4 home games, and one of them is in Jacksonville...

Anyhow, if the Florida Big 3 becomes a 4 or a 5, it will be because the media says so, and not because we "allowed it". Clearly, if UCF/USF got into the SAME conference as any of the Florida Big 3, the storyline becomes stronger. But if UCF/USF end up in the Big 12 together, I don't think there is anything WE can do to prevent a "Florida Big 5".
you don't see the Big12 eventually falling behind the SEC/B1G? At least in football? I see them end up becoming more of like a 2nd tier when it comes to football at least (once the B1G and SEC expand again).. they'll still get good players, but mostly guys that didn't get an offer from a B1G or SEC school.. and they'll probably never win another nat'l title again (or very rarely at least)...

Last edited:
US News 2022-2023 national rankings has the following programs TIED at 55:

-U of Miami
-FSU
-Rutgers
-U of Maryland

U of Florida meanwhile has increased to #29 tied with UNC, while ND is #18. I know there were a lot of comments regarding Julio's performance and the decline in the UM ranking. From comments I hear there is legit B10 interest in FSU, not saying it will happen, but they are close to getting AAU approval.

I’m not saying FSU to BigTen won’t happen

All I’m saying is, fsu is not well regarded, regardless of the US News rankings.

BigTen presidents historically are academic snobs

But as I’ve said a bunch of times, money and tv coverage/viewer ratings is driving everything

you don't see the Big12 eventually falling behind the SEC/B1G? At least in football? I see them end up becoming more of like a 2nd tier when it comes to football at least... they'll still get good players, but mostly guys that didn't get an offer from a B1G or SEC school.. and they'll probably never win another nat'l title again (or very rarely at least)...

It has nothing to do with MY perceptions on the Big 12, I'm talking about the rest of the media world.

Even after the defections, the Big 12 will still have:

1 - Baylor
2 - BYU
3 - Cincinnati
4 - Houston
5 - Iowa State
6 - Kansas
7 - K-State
8 - Oklahoma State
9 - TCU
10 - Texas Tech
11 - UCF
12 - WVU

Now, assuming they to towards a 20-team model if the SEC and Big 10 do. Potential adds:

1 - Arizona
2 - Arizona State
3 - Cal
4 - Colorado
5 - Oregon
6 - Oregon State
7 - Stanford
8 - Utah
9 - Washington
10 - Washington State

11 - Boston College
12 - Duke
13 - GaTech
14 - Louisville
15 - NC State
16 - Pitt
17 - Syracuse
18 - UVa???
19 - Wake

20 - USF
21 - Memphis
22 - SMU
23 - Temple
24 - Tulane

****, you could easily pick 8-12 teams from those last 24 and have a pretty good "third" Power 3 conference. And, yes, for football (assuming some of those schools can reach heights they've had at least once in the past 10 years). And that might be a bit easier with Texas and Oklahoma out of the way.

Is a 20-24 team Big 12 the equal of an expanded Big 10 or SEC? Maybe not today. But forever? I wouldn't rule out getting several playoff teams from the Big 12.

If "football" is the primary consideration, you could pretty much build a 20-team Big 12 from the Pac 12 teams available. If "money" is the primary consideration, then I'd envision a mix of ACC and Pac 12 teams, with maybe a USF thrown in to help out UCF.

It has nothing to do with MY perceptions on the Big 12, I'm talking about the rest of the media world.

Even after the defections, the Big 12 will still have:

1 - Baylor
2 - BYU
3 - Cincinnati
4 - Houston
5 - Iowa State
6 - Kansas
7 - K-State
8 - Oklahoma State
9 - TCU
10 - Texas Tech
11 - UCF
12 - WVU

Now, assuming they to towards a 20-team model if the SEC and Big 10 do. Potential adds:

1 - Arizona
2 - Arizona State
3 - Cal
4 - Colorado
5 - Oregon
6 - Oregon State
7 - Stanford
8 - Utah
9 - Washington
10 - Washington State

11 - Boston College
12 - Duke
13 - GaTech
14 - Louisville
15 - NC State
16 - Pitt
17 - Syracuse
18 - UVa???
19 - Wake

20 - USF
21 - Memphis
22 - SMU
23 - Temple
24 - Tulane

****, you could easily pick 8-12 teams from those last 24 and have a pretty good "third" Power 3 conference. And, yes, for football (assuming some of those schools can reach heights they've had at least once in the past 10 years). And that might be a bit easier with Texas and Oklahoma out of the way.

Is a 20-24 team Big 12 the equal of an expanded Big 10 or SEC? Maybe not today. But forever? I wouldn't rule out getting several playoff teams from the Big 12.

If "football" is the primary consideration, you could pretty much build a 20-team Big 12 from the Pac 12 teams available. If "money" is the primary consideration, then I'd envision a mix of ACC and Pac 12 teams, with maybe a USF thrown in to help out UCF.
For the B12 you also need to factor in BB as a priority. Supposedly they are interested in UCONN and Gonzaga and I assume it would be for all sports.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nobody here but I'm so sick of weirdos that try to make UConn football a thing. 2 nice seasons under Randy Edsall 10+ years ago in a shell of a conference ain't something that gives you any credibility today.

You're a hoops only school. That's it- now and forever. You belong NOWHERE near any serious conversation regarding big time CFB- especially with schools wayyyy more credible than you that should be legitimately worried if they're going to be left out in the cold.

Screenshot_20230616_171342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Advertisement
B!G wants in on Florida and this helps explain why…

It ain’t no secret that when teams in Miami are winning, games become events… 7/10 of the most watched games in all of basketball had a team from Miami in It.

Mega bragging rights. Go talk that ****. Lol.

B!G wants in on Florida and this helps explain why…

It ain’t no secret that when teams in Miami are winning, games become events… 7/10 of the most watched games in all of basketball had a team from Miami in It.

Mega bragging rights. Go talk that ****. Lol.

While it's an interesting point, I'm going to guess that the Final Four and the NBA Finals are USUALLY ranked in the Top 10.

Advertisement
No more ACC games on Bally Sports. Rights just reverted back to Raycom.

ESPN sold this package to Raycom so they could just buy it back (at a premium) and put these games on the ACC Network. Or Raycom could just syndicate it and sell it to OTA providers or some streaming service. Hopefully they do the former and not the latter.

I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.
This makes a lot of sense. Doesn’t matter if most big fans don’t know usf. The media market Tampa and miami brings is much better for the big then Gainesville Tallahassee is for she sec

A factor that needs to be talked about more when it comes to realignment is the ownership of local affiliates.

For instance, over the last two decades, Fox has made major purchases and or trades to get more Fox owned and operated local affiliates in NFC markets. Because they know if they are able to broadcast the local NFL team you are printing money not just on ads during the game locally but all of the other shows that are around it. The ratings bump is massive.

So when you look at the Big ten deal with NBC, Fox and CBS, those broadcast partners are going to want local affiliate revenue games.

The CBS and NBC stations in Miami are both owned and operated by those parent companies. WSVN is not owned by Fox, but they would definitely be outnumbered in these negotiations.

However, Fox owns their stations in Charlotte and Atlanta...they will be pulling for Georgia tech in North Carolina to be involved in a big tin expansion. CBS also owns their Atlanta affiliate.

CBS and NBC own their Boston stations but they probably know Notre Dame does more to move the needle there than BC.

This also puts us in a good position to go to the Big Ten, the broadcast partners will want to give our inventory to the affiliates they own. Disney has only a few remaining owned and operated stations so this is less of a factor for them keeping the ACC together or moving on teams for the SEC. They're more concerned with inventory for ESPN/ESPN+

Advertisement
Back