MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

To recap:

You repeatedly claimed that I was poo-pooing UNC as a candidate for expansion. See, for reference, your misguided argument about me hating UNC as a reason for my position.

I pointed out that isn’t true. For the umpteenth time now, I’ve said consistently that they are a very strong candidate, and that they certainly won’t be left behind.

I noted that our only point of disagreement was in how high they’d go. You see them as the top choice….Wayne Gretzky and all that. I disagree.

You then fabricate some crap about me misquoting you, which you apparently still mistakenly believe. Then you embark on some embarrassing display of semantic ignorance which devolves quickly into petty insults.

And then you double and triple down.

You win the award for least self-aware keyboard warrior on CIS today. Celebrate with a cookie.

Not reading whatever BS you're regurgitating here, people asked us to stop this derailment. Show us you're the adult you keep saying you are and comply please. I did. Thanks.

Advertisement
I’m picking up handsome now. Smart and handsome.

Grateful Dead What GIF by HELLO TJ

Let’s remember that UVA bailed out VaTech when BigEast imploded. Lots of ties involved.

Yeah, this is the show though, different time, different players, and the super conferences have all the leverage like never before. I'm sure UVA will WANT to bring VT (or at least the state will) and UNC will WANT to bring (IMO NCST, again, the state) someone. This round I don't really see any of the schools or states being able to bully the B1G or SEC into an add-on that costs each university money because they are a dilution. This is most likely the last realignment for a long, long while. If you don't get a seat at the grown ups table, you're a wrap.

We will see. I don't think anyone has it nailed in its entirely, certainly not me. Will be great entertainment, as long as we land well.

of course not, but the premise is them getting a choice to take it or leave it means they don't get the pick of the crop for an irrelevant team based on 1940. and a stolen championship from 88.

The ACC should have forced them last fall, to sign a full ACC contract or told them to **** off and expanded to other teams. At that point, they could have had several decent teams to pull in.
Now they are holding their ****s hoping they don't implode.
I hate ND more than any other team in the country. That being said, they will not have a take it or leave it situation. Every conference has an open invite for them.

The ACC isn't "forcing" them to do anything. Even in 2020, do you really think they would give up their independence to play 1 football season during a pandemic? I don't. That isn't to say, the ACC should have thrown them a lifeline to play that season. They should have played hardball and saw if ND blinked or not. I don't think they would have, but at least try it. That ship has long since sailed though.

Advertisement
Note Dame’s problem will be putting together schedules for all sports. If further conference consolidation happens, scheduling will be extremely difficult for independents. That is what might finally force them to join the B1G.

Note Dame’s problem will be putting together schedules for all sports. If further conference consolidation happens, scheduling will be extremely difficult for independents. That is what might finally force them to join the B1G.
Not for them. Sorry that’s just wrong. All still will have out of conference games.

Not for them. Sorry that’s just wrong. All still will have out of conference games.
Why do you think they formed an alliance with the ACC? It was all about scheduling for all of their athletic programs. If the ACC goes away, they will be looking for another home for their non-football sports, and they ain’t gonna get that same deal from the B1G or the SEC.

The B1G is inevitable for ND. They will eventually have to go somewhere and there is nowhere else logical for them to go. Especially now with USC and UCLA joining Northwestern, Michigan and Wisconsin at the top of the conference academically. Add in UNC and UVA possibly too, and it's a powerhouse academic conference they fit well into culturally.

Advertisement
Notre Dame fits in culturally with the ACC.

ACC should dump Wake Forest and possibly also BC. Losing Wake wouldn't change the total revenue, losing BC doubt hurts too much. Is the ACCN even making money in Massachusetts?

Redistribute that $70mm among FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami, then

add ND, Oregon, Washington, California and Stanford.

Conference saved.

Notre Dame fits in culturally with the ACC.

ACC should dump Wake Forest and possibly also BC. Losing Wake wouldn't change the total revenue, losing BC doubt hurts too much. Is the ACCN even making money in Massachusetts?

Redistribute that $70mm among FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami, then

add ND, Oregon, Washington, California and Stanford.

Conference saved.

Except that FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami are still going to want to leave for SEC/B1G because the money and stability will be far better there regardless. Also if you are paying the big 4 more, then the new schools you are adding are going to get inequitable shares and there is no way they would go for that. The Big 12 would be a better option for them all in this scenario. Inequality just doesn't work anyway. I like your thinking, but it's lipstick on a pig, and the pig is destined to be spit roasted.

Except that FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami are still going to want to leave for SEC/B1G because the money and stability will be far better there regardless. Also if you are paying the big 4 more, then the new schools you are adding are going to get inequitable shares and there is no way they would go for that. The Big 12 would be a better option for them all in this scenario. Inequality just doesn't work anyway. I like your thinking, but it's lipstick on a pig, and the pig is destined to be spit roasted.
I'm operating under the assumption that neither the SEC or BigTen are looking to continue to expand much further, other than if ND needs a home.

Don't see how the SEC benefits going beyond 16. The top fish have been caught.

Advertisement
I'm operating under the assumption that neither the SEC or BigTen are looking to continue to expand much further, other than if ND needs a home.

Don't see how the SEC benefits going beyond 16. The top fish have been caught.

Gotcha. Well, let's say the SEC sits tight and the B1G decides to add UNC, UVA, Clemson, Miami and FSU. That is going to be a **** of a TV contract that will generate a ton of top content. Everyone will want it. If I am the SEC there is no way in **** I am letting that happen, letting my competition waltz into to my territory and TV markets and set up shop? Zero chance.

I think as long as there is non-dilutive value to adding programs (the TV pot will grow enough to sustain it or add incremental value for each school) we are going to see growth. There are a few top tier program out there waiting to be plucked still. These conferences want to dominate the schedule, own relevant CFB. It's SEC vs. B1G for all the marbles and the top TV contract.

Gotcha. Well, let's say the SEC sits tight and the B1G decides to add UNC, UVA, Clemson, Miami and FSU. That is going to be a **** of a TV contract that will generate a ton of top content. Everyone will want it. If I am the SEC there is no way in **** I am letting that happen, letting my competition waltz into to my territory and TV markets and set up shop? Zero chance.

I think as long as there is non-dilutive value to adding programs (the TV pot will grow enough to sustain it or add incremental value for each school) we are going to see growth. There are a few top tier program out there waiting to be plucked still. These conferences want to dominate the schedule, own relevant CFB. It's SEC vs. B1G for all the marbles and the top TV contract.
21 teams in the big ten? The revenue is so huge already is that going up grow the pie?

Virginia isn't really a college market state. It's a pro team market, and I'd bet my house there are more Penn State and Virginia Tech fans here than UVA. Great school and great market, but it's simply not the same culture as the Midwest where EVERYONE in Nebraska loves the Huskers or Ohio and Buckeyes, etc.

So I don't think any targets grow the revenue per school. Maybe they want to take over the NCAA and control the tournaments - I can see that but Congress would step in.

Sadly, Maryland has that vibe with the Terps. (If the ACC has added Penn State when they were begging to be let in, they keep MD and their future is bright - but I digress)

Advertisement
21 teams in the big ten? The revenue is so huge already is that going up grow the pie?

Virginia isn't really a college market state. It's a pro team market, and I'd bet my house there are more Penn State and Virginia Tech fans here than UVA. Great school and great market, but it's simply not the same culture as the Midwest where EVERYONE in Nebraska loves the Huskers or Ohio and Buckeyes, etc.

So I don't think any targets grow the revenue per school. Maybe they want to take over the NCAA and control the tournaments - I can see that but Congress would step in.

Sadly, Maryland has that vibe with the Terps. (If the ACC has added Penn State when they were begging to be let in, they keep MD and their future is bright - but I digress)

Maybe 20? And sure it would grow it if the new product is quality. There is no "cap per conference" it's all about ad sales per broadcast. If all the SEC schools joined the B1G the TV revenue would certainly exceed the current SEC + B1G money, because they'd also have the leverage of a semi-monopoly.

As for UVA... they added Rutgers, man. Be sure to consider TV markets and power centers. I can't get into it again, but UVA and UNC have a lot of potential as well as intrinsic and ancillary value that I don't think people are quite grasping. Especially when VT, Wake, Duke, and probably NCST basically get relegated. Anyway, it's all conjecture, we will see. Pray for Miami. I'm on team @Hurracanes.

Maybe 20? And sure it would grow it if the new product is quality. There is no "cap per conference" it's all about ad sales per broadcast. If all the SEC schools joined the B1G the TV revenue would certainly exceed the current SEC + B1G money, because they'd also have the leverage of a semi-monopoly.

As for UVA... they added Rutgers, man. Be sure to consider TV markets and power centers. I can't get into it again, but UVA and UNC have a lot of potential as well as intrinsic and ancillary value that I don't think people are quite grasping. Especially when VT, Wake, Duke, and probably NCST basically get relegated. Anyway, it's all conjecture, we will see. Pray for Miami. I'm on team @Hurracanes.
Eventually pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

If the Big Ten and SEC grow beyond 16 each, you are killing college football for most fans. Everyone else becomes ECU. I don't think that works. Plus as I said, congress gets involved if everyone's favorite school gets hosed.

Our best bet is to improve the ACC to keep the revenue close enough. As long as the money goes to buying out coaches and athletic dorms and not paying players, the gap is manageable.

Eventually pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

If the Big Ten and SEC grow beyond 16 each, you are killing college football for most fans. Everyone else becomes ECU. I don't think that works. Plus as I said, congress gets involved if everyone's favorite school gets hosed.

Our best bet is to improve the ACC to keep the revenue close enough. As long as the money goes to buying out coaches and athletic dorms and not paying players, the gap is manageable.

You may be right, but it sure seems like it's happening. Two 20 team super conferences. And I disagree, it makes complete business sense. Dominate your industry, create media leverage.

And you may want to "improve" the ACC, but no one worth adding will come. We're in trouble.

Every single school in America wants to be in the SEC/B1G. There isn't a single program that will turn that down when the music stops, including the top of the ACC. It's a golden ticket. It's just reality. So you have 40 teams... let's say that about 4 of them are legacy programs that aren't really deserving (Vanderbilt, Purdue, etc), that means these two conferences will have the top 36 programs + 4 more.

So the Big 12, whatever picked over ACC you think could be maintained, Pac-12, whatever, will all be second tier and will not even be close to being able to compete financially. Very similar to what you see now with the ACC vs. SEC, etc.

I'd get your head wrapped around this, because it's probable. Might take a bit to all finalize, but...

Advertisement
Back