MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

It's still early, but everything is progressing as planned. Miami is steadily building a strong case for themselves with the Big Ten, all while avoiding the public fallout that FSU and Clemson have faced (despite those lawsuits being necessary). So far, Miami has navigated this situation brilliantly. That tweet from Rad regarding the Miami-Florida game was no coincidence.

One crucial factor that’s being overlooked is how ACC refs might handle our games moving forward—potentially more favorably than FSU, for example, who has ****ed off quite a few people. The key is to keep winning, maintain momentum both on and off the field, and stay alert to the shifting dynamics behind the scenes.
This is a conversation I was having with my brother and his buddies before the game. With FSU and Clemson being in open rebellion against the conference, do we now get preferential treatment in games with ACC refs as we are being "good members" while the others are revolting? It would sure be nice to be on that end of the spectrum for once lol.

Advertisement
Brett McMurphy on SiriusXM interview right now [paraphrased]...according to all his sources...

- FSU/Clemson are panicked and realize unless ACC totally collapses, SEC + B1G are not taking them
-- Big XII an option
-- Staying ACC option
- Legal sources are saying GOR likely not going to be ruled invalid, but key question is extension period
- ESPN extension in question
- IF ACC implodes, expect SEC + B1G to both go 20 teams immediately
-- ACC will try to poach American and anybody else
-- BigXII will try to poach ACC "best leftovers"

🤷‍♂️

Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

This is a conversation I was having with my brother and his buddies before the game. With FSU and Clemson being in open rebellion against the conference, do we now get preferential treatment in games with ACC refs as we are being "good members" while the others are revolting? It would sure be nice to be on that end of the spectrum for once lol.
haha, nope. That will always be reserved for UNC and their buddies.

Advertisement
Interesting article on the unsurprising "ABC 5" teams of the ACC ABC/ESPN prefer in their prime slots
  • Florida State
  • Clemson
  • Miami
  • Notre Dame
  • N. Carolina
The last games on ABC that didn't involve at least one of those five schools: Virginia and Virginia Tech on the day after Thanksgiving in 2019 and 2018.

NC State and Boston College played on ABC (and ESPN2, depending on where you were watching) in 2017.

To find a school that played multiple ABC games without one of the "ABC 5" you have to go back to Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson's Heisman Trophy-winning season in 2016 when the Cardinals’ games against NC State and Virginia were on the network. Additionally, Louisville's games against Clemson and Florida State were also televised on ABC.

Duke, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest have not played a regular-season conference game (or Notre Dame game) on the network that didn't involve one of the "ABC 5" during the last eight years.

I might have to update my odds on UM getting an invite to the B1G with full shares. If UM plays USC in the playoffs, I think it will shatter viewership records for most watched playoff game, and the B1G will be very interested in making that matchup permanent. Personally, I have always wanted to see that matchup.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The house settlement is a total **** show, and it was completely predictable because it was trying to impose restrictions on future players, who are not even party to the settlement. The only way they can restrict third parties from paying players for their NIL is never. And they can restrict other things, but that would have to be collectively bargained With the schools do not want to do as well as not wanting to pay the players as employees.

NFL players do not have third-party NIL restricted other than they may not be able to wear their uniform with a partner that is not part of sponsoring the NFL. Your name image and likeness is yours to monetize any way you want with anyone who’s willing to pay you for it. What restrictions organizations in conferences put on their own teams cannot be expected to be applied outside and that’s where the rub is here.

And everything around this is adding to the uncertainty that’s throwing timelines off, separate and apart from the acc litigation

I might have to update my odds on UM getting an invite to the B1G with full shares. If UM plays USC in the playoffs, I think it will shatter viewership records for most watched playoff game, and the B1G will be very interested in making that matchup permanent. Personally, I have always wanted to see that matchup.
Also a chance that UM might play ND in a playoff game ... that would be an epic viewership number.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back